Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Looking for an IFAK Pouch

:

Gear Discussion

Old October 2nd, 2012, 19:46   #1
Rush
formerly Medix

Looking for an IFAK Pouch

For the past month, I have been attempting to sift through the many different designs of IFAK pouches, in the hopes to find the one that fits my needs. Now, there are a lot of great ideas, and products out there on the market, but I haven't been able to decide on one that makes me want to place an order. A couple of the things that I find important are, quality of materials, ability to be removed, and size, as it will be mounted on a battle belt. The kit will mainly be used for a mixture of RS shooting, and hiking/biking.

Kit contents will include:
1x HALO (2 in pack)
1x NPA 28F w/ Lube
1x Olaes Modular Bandage - Flat
1x QuikClot Combat Gauze
1x Wire Splint
1x Triangular
2x Pairs of Gloves
2x Warrior Wipes

A few of the pouches that have been eyeing are, the CTOMS Slimline, the ITS ETA Trauma Kit Pouch, and the BFG Trauma Kit NOW

I would love to hear your guy input, and if you have any other ideas, feel free to let me know.
Thanks!
Old October 3rd, 2012, 11:16   #2
Azathoth

I've used the BFG Trauma now, the HSGI bleeder, and the ATS medical insert method.

What are you trying to build? A full trauma kit or a bleeder/blowout/first responder? and how are you going to be carrying this LBV, Belt or in the car?

If you are going for the second category or first aid bag then keep it small and on your belt with a bleeder pouch, or use the ATS medical insert in a Larger triple M4 mag pouch. If you need a full trauma kit on you CTOMS or the Trauma Now. I really dislike the nexus buckle as I was in the CTOMS office when they demo'ed the slimline and they warned me about the high break rate of the nexus buckle when it's being used. I have seen a large number of ITS trauma kits sold second hand in US mil/survival forums a little while ago, I don't think it was popular with that crowd.

Their is some information on Page 28/29 of the Second line kit thread

Pictured Below is my old configuration of the Trauma NOW pictured:
1x Halo Chest seal
1x Small Trauma Sheer
2x Warrior Wipes
2x Surgical Lube
1x NPA 28 Fr
2x Gloves
1x Olaes 4" rolled (CTOMS out of flat at the time)
1x Z fold Combat Gauze (
2X z fold Bandage (removed in later version)
1x Decompression needle 14AWG I think...
1x Sharpie (short)
NOT pictured Large trauma sheer held between the TT MAV and the Trauma Now.

I still run the Trauma now but with a lower load. I'll definetely be visiting CTOMS on the next day off to get some flat OLAES.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguyver View Post
it would appear I am not first up in this gang-bang
---
WANTED PTW Receiver PRIME, STG, Factory

Last edited by Azathoth; October 3rd, 2012 at 11:20..
Azathoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2012, 11:53   #3
panzergrenadier

Here's an excellent article on IFAKs
http://www.defensereview.com/individ...ical-shooters/
Old October 3rd, 2012, 12:03   #4
Rush
formerly Medix

The kit will be mounted to a battle belt, and Im looking to do a Trauma Kit. I added the wire splint and triangular into the list, as they weigh little and don't take up much room, but would be beneficial to have should I grab the kit when I go hiking. Thanks for the info about the ITS ETA Kit, I did like the design of it, just not the idea that it is not removable without buying the quick release molle stix (not sure how much I trust them). I too agree that the design would be better on the Slimline with a different buckle, but I do like the idea of the tourniquet pouch on the outside, as the elements can eventually degrade CAT's. If I went the Slimline route, I'm pretty sure I would get the horizontal attachment panel though.
Just curious, how do you like the helium whisper attachment method, I have heard that the BFG TN can sag when loaded, and that the velcro attachment is not the greatest. Also, Im not too sure how well it would work, mounted to a belt system.

Thanks again for the input
Old October 3rd, 2012, 13:44   #5
Azathoth

@ Rush

A full on Trauma kit with everything that you want will probably not fit well on the belt as it's is a 3 row x 3 column pouch . A blowout/bleeder would be a better choice IMO or any pouch that's 2 column x 2-3 row. However, if you are injured and need to self administer with your bleeder placement on your belt is really important.

Their is a "new" CAT pouch made from Kydex from some company. I'm working on a DIY home solution however CATs are cheap and you can replace them on a 6-12 month basis without breaking the bank.

Helium Whisper...
I own a Utility pouch in the HW system and my Trauma now is the old style system. I don't like velcro as the method of attachment. Sand and debris can get into the velcro loop side and reduce the grip and water also degrades the system. I wish BFG would just use the Materials from Helium whisper for the backs of their pouches and leave the mounting solution to the end user, either MALICE/Snake strap/Zip tie. The pouch when fully loaded is large and bulky so snagging probably comes from that factor more so the mounting system. I never had a problem with snagging when Backpacking or from use.
Quote:
---
Old October 3rd, 2012, 15:42   #6
Rush
formerly Medix

Yeah, that basically was my worry with the velcro. I'll probably be crossing the BFG TN off the list because of that. The ATS Tactical one looks interesting. I may have to take a look at some reviews of it. I was curious if one would be able to remove the Snap Dragon buckle on the Slimline's and replace it with something like a regular Fastex buckle.

An article that I found is basically what I am going off of for my list, with the substitution of a few things.
http://privatebloggins.ca/?p=57

I won't be adding the Angiocaths or the surgical airway kit, just due to out of scope legality .

It would be interesting to see that kydex pouch in person, just to get an idea about it.
Old October 3rd, 2012, 17:49   #7
Azathoth

Unfortunately the nexus buckle is kinda integral to the design of the tear away feature of the slimline pouch.

The ATS Small medical is also starting to interest me but the Velcro, and the old school MOLLE mounting system I don't like.

I don't want to horrible derail this info on IFAK but the legality argument is really troublesome. The IFAK is as much (if not more so) for someone else to use on me if I am incapacitated in whatever activities that I choose to carry that kit on me for. I would rather have the tools available for that individual to use than to have them needed and not present.
Quote:
---

Last edited by Azathoth; October 3rd, 2012 at 18:03..
Old October 3rd, 2012, 20:10   #8
Rush
formerly Medix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azathoth View Post
I don't want to horrible derail this info on IFAK but the legality argument is really troublesome. The IFAK is as much (if not more so) for someone else to use on me if I am incapacitated in whatever activities that I choose to carry that kit on me for. I would rather have the tools available for that individual to use than to have them needed and not present.
Not to worry, I don't mind diverting a bit as it is actually a great discussion topic, and it may very well help others who read this later on.

I can definitely see your point about carrying jic. Essentially, I won't be carrying those items based on three reasons.

1) At my current level of training, I cannot perform Needle Decompression, or a Needle Cricothyrotomy. To do so in an emergency situation, could be seen as gross negligence in the eyes of the law, as I would be performing a procedure which is outside of my licensed scope of practice. The situation may be different once I am a registered EMT-P, but until then it is just not worth the risk.

2) The chances of me being injured within close proximity to a person allowed to perform those skills, is quite low. Also, out of those allowed to perform the procedures, the number of those who I would see as being competent in the skills, are even fewer. The vast majority of EMT-P's will go 15+ years without performing Needle Decompression, and the numbers for Needle Cricothyrotomies are even lower. If I do know for sure I will be within reach of someone able to do these skills, then by all means I may add them to the list.

3) We live in a country with quite a vast, and well equipped EMS system. Even if I am going to go biking or "off the beaten path" for a few days, there are organizations in place that are there to get the people we need, to the places they may not usually be able to go. Essentially, if some jack ass ND's into my leg on a range, or I impale myself on my handle bars while mountain biking. this kit will do the trick until appropriate health care providers are able to reach me. It's much the same reason I do not carry a full jump bag in the trunk of my car. It may be a nice feeling to have a ton of toys in your bag, but what a person with a critical injury needs is not usually anything you are able to carry practically. Bandages, gloves, and a cell phone are useful, but at the end of the day, what they really need is definitive medical care, i.e. a hospital.

If you are deployed on a mission, or are in a situation where you may very well need to carry some extra items, then by all means, pack away. After all, the mission drives the gear.

Last edited by Rush; October 3rd, 2012 at 20:20..
Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2012, 22:25   #9
Rush
formerly Medix

After some more research, I think I'll be going with the CTOMS Slimline. I like the fact that it is quickly removable, can be done with one hand, and is able to hold a tourniquet, all in a simple package. The buckle issue is a pain, but I'll just have to remember to pull it the proper direction, that and if its a real shtf moment, I honestly think I could care less about a buckle. Buying from a veteran founded Canadian business doesn't hurt either.
Unfortunately they are out of MC at the moment so it will have to wait.

Thanks again for the comments guys, I'll try and do a review once I put it through it's paces. Couldn't seem to find many online, so it might be nice for those interested in the future.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion