Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Wiring Batteries

:

General

Old September 17th, 2010, 11:15   #1
Tempest VI

Wiring Batteries

I want to wire a couple of batteries together. I've done tons of work on electronics and RC stuff. I've just never seen it done or even hear of what I'm trying to do in the airsoft community. I have two Mini batteries rated at 8.4 V @ 1600 mAh. If I take the two and wire them in parallel that would increase the amp hours to 3200 and keep the volts at 8.4. That shouldn't effect anything else in the gun besides making the battery pack I made last longer right? Or atleast in theroy...
Tempest VI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2010, 11:31   #2
HKGhost

you are correct. in parallel: 8.4v 1600mah + 8.4v 1600mah = 8.4v 3200mah. in series: 8.4v 1600mah + 8.4v 1600mah = 16.8v 1600mah.

Custom Build | Upgrades | Repairs | Maintenance
HKGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2010, 12:32   #3
Tempest VI

That's all thats going to happen. So the only thing I just need to worry about, if at all, is if that battery pack will fit in my gun.
Old September 17th, 2010, 13:54   #4
GBear

Send a message via MSN to GBear
Yeah, was about to say how are you going to fit that in your gun? Rofl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayce View Post
I wish I could upload a few gameplay videos of me on Alliance of Valiant Arms for you guys to compare to.

I am not familiar with airsoft.

What my question is, does the element of surprise work on a typical airsoft match?
GBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2010, 22:55   #5
Styrak

Send a message via MSN to Styrak
What gun are you running? If you've got a whole bunch of battery space, use a large pack. They're much better.

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2010, 23:08   #6
coach
aka coachster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest VI View Post
That's all thats going to happen. So the only thing I just need to worry about, if at all, is if that battery pack will fit in my gun.
Well if you already have the 2 mini's, and they will both fit in your gun, go for it. I'd recommend making an adapter instead of soldering the 2 packs together. To save space, mini deans will work well for the battery end and a regular deans on the gun end.

Ignore stryak telling you to go get a large battery. Use what you got and when that craps out, get a large battery.
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2010, 00:05   #7
Styrak

Send a message via MSN to Styrak
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachster View Post
Ignore stryak telling you to go get a large battery. Use what you got and when that craps out, get a large battery.
Because mini batteries are so much better?

???

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2010, 16:23   #8
Tempest VI

It's for my AUG, but I have two mini right now with me and another battery that I have no idea the size but its exactly identical to having two mini side by side. That how it was running all along since I got the gun. The gun is deans and those mini aren't. So I figured while I was changing them over to deans if I should just make them one battery so I less crap to worry about.
Old September 20th, 2010, 17:10   #9
coach
aka coachster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styrak View Post
Because mini batteries are so much better?

???
Why insist that someone must get a large battery? He's got 2 working mini batteries in hand. Combined in parallel will work almost as well as a large.

Quote:
It's for my AUG, but I have two mini right now with me and another battery that I have no idea the size but its exactly identical to having two mini side by side. That how it was running all along since I got the gun. The gun is deans and those mini aren't. So I figured while I was changing them over to deans if I should just make them one battery so I less crap to worry about.
First check that your charger can charge a parallel 7 x 2 cell pack.

If I was to do what you want, I'd solder a female mini deans connector to each pack. Then make an adapter with 2x male mini deans wired in parallel to a regular female deans connector.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 15:42   #10
Tempest VI

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachster View Post
First check that your charger can charge a parallel 7 x 2 cell pack.

If I was to do what you want, I'd solder a female mini deans connector to each pack. Then make an adapter with 2x male mini deans wired in parallel to a regular female deans connector.
I see what you’re saying. The charger says for 7-8 cell batteries. Being a total of 14 cells, I would have to charge each battery individually. Then, make an adaptor to run both at the same time. Though I am curious to see what would happen if I straight up tried to charge that 14 cell pack.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 16:55   #11
coach
aka coachster

Quote:
I see what you’re saying. The charger says for 7-8 cell batteries. Being a total of 14 cells, I would have to charge each battery individually. Then, make an adaptor to run both at the same time. Though I am curious to see what would happen if I straight up tried to charge that 14 cell pack.
If you have a smart charger and it let's you put a current through the massive battery, make sure you do it in an open area with ventilation.

I've 'accidentally' blown up NiCad's and alkalines before and some were messy. One that I remember was a 9v alkaline. It was burning hot after charging with an 'alkaline' charger (or so it claimed) so I left it in the middle of the kitchen table. Made a loud pop, that I could hear from upstairs, and it ended up a few feet from where I left it.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General