Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

e's Tokyo Marui FN Herstal 5-7: "The Black Edition"

:

Airsoft Media

Old April 5th, 2013, 22:46   #1
e-luder

e's Tokyo Marui FN Herstal 5-7: "The Black Edition"

Well... after many years of handling different TM FN5-7's, I've finally got one of my own many moons ago. This one has seen many rounds down the barrel, many zombies 'killed' and many field players harrassed with wizzing bb's. Yes, I'm a lousy shot at far distances. Mainly because my googles don't mesh well with glasses. heh.

But as my interest in competitive shooting grows, I figure to tune this sucker up for just that: a pistol capable of shooting super accurate at shorter distances that can also be used as a field weapon when duty calls for it.

...plus, it needed a new frame....

For the most part, it does extremely well. This FN5-7 outshoots my most treasured Glocks in my stable in both short and far distances. And dem Glocks don't like it when some G'ed up pistol takes their place. Glocks are jealous whores....Then again...I haven't really tuned dem Glocks just yet...

Anyways, here's my take on FN Herstal's 5-7 released by Tokyo Marui.

The Guarder Frame offers real world trademarks. But that's all it offers. The plastic seems much cheaper than the Marui OEM. Can't say how long this one will last. It seems pretty flimsy. I just received it and haven't put it through its paces.

The finish is quite nice though. It doesn't have that shiny coat like the Marui Frame does.

"The Black Edition" just simply refers to the color scheme of the gun...in short. It's all black. On some iterations of the FN5-7, you may notice that the hand controls are somewhat greyish.

The hop-up chamber has been polished to allow for a smoother operation. It has very little friction between the aftemarket aluminum inner slide chassis made by Creation and has zero impedence.

NiteSiters were installed to allow for easier target acquisition. Although, I'm kinda wishing I had installed two different colors on. ILLusion was kind enough to sell me some. If you want some, PM him.

This is my first time applying them so I apologize if they seem like a shoddy job.

Again, I rigged the gun to have a near flawless slide stroke. The Guarder Steel outer barrel is painstaking polished and smoothened out for the inner slide chassis. At first, it didn't cycle well. So I made the adjustments...

...and a clone Surefire just for good measure....

The Creation inner slide chassis allows for greater durability. The part is often reported by operators to be the first of the list of parts that can break in the Marui iteration of this weapon. This Creation one is made of aluminum.

This chasis also helps create a sense of realism to the weapon. The real steel version also uses the exact same set up....

I'm still debating whether or not to keep it all black. As many of you may have observed by now, most of my guns have a two tone color scheme...

The stock look:

The Parts Kit:

-Guarder Black Frame
-Guarder Black Slide
-Guarder Black hand control set (includes slide catch, safety lever (left and right), magazine catch and takedown lever
-Guarder Steel outer barrel
-NineBall TightBore inner barrel. (it's supposed to be the 6.00 power barrel but I refuse to believe it is. Tokyo Model Company disagrees)
-Nineball Purple hop up bucking
-Creation Aluminum inner slide chasis
-NiteSites bought from Illusion Kinetics

This FN5-7 shoots at 320-340FPS on propane and .20g bbs.
Shooting test Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJnAZ...ature=youtu.be

Many thanks, once again, to ILLusion for bringing in the parts for me. This gun would be in operable if it weren't for you...

Well... that's all for now.
See you next build, kiddies!

Last edited by e-luder; May 16th, 2013 at 00:22..
e-luder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2013, 23:27   #2
boren93
Dicks

Damn, wish mine had all those sexy upgrades. How much did it cost excluding the Guarder frame and slide?
Old April 6th, 2013, 13:54   #3
ap27

How many BB's have you put through it? I've seriously been on the fence about this one because of all the reports of it breaking on propane. Could you point out what bits are most likely to break and how to avoid/reinforce?

ap27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2013, 15:40   #4
e-luder

Quote:
How many BB's have you put through it? I've seriously been on the fence about this one because of all the reports of it breaking on propane. Could you point out what bits are most likely to break and how to avoid/reinforce?
I lost count. But it's ALOT. at least for a pistol. I never hang to my pistols for long. Either they get sold or traded after a couple of months after the build. But this gun was so good, I decided to keep it in my stable.

There is only really two places that is prone to breakage. The first is that plastic inner slide i mentioned. The other is the two screw casings that bolts the hammer mech to the frame.

these two guys:

In due time they break because of the recoil. The Marui FN5-7 kicks like a mule on propane. The frame can't handle such force. Once those two screw casings bite the dust, the gun can no longer function. The hammer mech will keep popping off the frame.

The only way I see prolonging breakage is to just short stroke the gun. Just to dampen the recoil a little bit. I don't know if there is any other way, to be honest. I haven't really put much effort into looking for a solution for it.

But to be fair, I have put a lot of rounds through this gun before replacing the frame. If you can get a stock frame, I suggest you go with that. I have heard Guarder frames breaking much easier than the stock ones. I only bought the Guarder one because of its availability...

Quote:
Damn, wish mine had all those sexy upgrades. How much did it cost excluding the Guarder frame and slide?
A pack of smokes and 2 Zippos. Belmont. Large kings. /jks

Don't know, to be honest. I wasn't keeping track of a running total. I just "added to shopping cart" even though i probably couldn't afford it at the time.

And let's be honest here. We all fill our online shopping carts FIRST even if we KNOW we can't afford it...

Last edited by e-luder; April 6th, 2013 at 15:48..
e-luder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2013, 16:58   #5
Disco_Dante

Very classy 5-7! I built an almost identical "ninja-pistol" when the 5-7 was first released. I went with a black barrel on mine though, so the whole gun was jet-black. Instead of buying a stock 5-7 with the grey controls though, I bought an OD one, as they already came with black controls, and then I replaced the frame and slide with the Guarder ones.

I sold mine to Amos, and for a second I thought you'd bought it from him! Now I kind of want to track it down again

Not for glory, nor riches, nor honours, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.
Disco_Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2013, 17:06   #6
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

This looks hot! I'd never purchased a 5-7 of my own, but always wanted one. Knowing this many rounds can be put through is promising... I may get back on to this project.
ILLusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2013, 19:11   #7
Qlong
Division

My frame broke after about 50 rounds or so. Their grade of polycarbonate is pretty awful.

Weee!
Qlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2013, 19:53   #8
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qlong View Post
My frame broke after about 50 rounds or so. Their grade of polycarbonate is pretty awful.
Sounds like they're still using the same polyCRAPonate that they used for their AEG pistons...
ILLusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2013, 22:04   #9
wind_comm

there have been several discussions about this on ASM, as it related to pistons.

polycarbonate is fantastic if you want to absorb ONE very large impact, ONCE. repeated impacts cause microfractures which very quickly become huge fractures.

the ideal material for airsoft purposes would be glass-fibre filled nylon (SHS/Lonex pistons for example) at about 20-30%. doesn't fracture like polycarb, isn't brittle like cheap plastics...pretty much perfect.

the largest enemy that people face is partly themselves and partly bad labels. polycarbonate is incredibly strong when used in the role it's intended to be used in (laminated bullet-resistant "glass"). it comes only in clear or slightly tinted. when you say "bulletproof" people cream themselves. it's a terrible material for repeated impact applications
companies labelling cheap(er) opaque plastics as "polycarbonate" and then selling them as upgrades really drives me nuts. not only does it just muddy the waters, the user ends up with a worse understanding of plastics and polymers and wants everything made of metal...which leads to pot metal vs aluminum vs steel...=.="

bah. morale of the story is, you can find everything I just regurgitated on ASM, from people with degrees in this stuff.

doesn't stop that 5-7 from being incredibly damn sexy though.
Old April 6th, 2013, 22:32   #10
ap27

Interesting. I'll make sure to have a few spare frames just in case. Such a fine gun...

ap27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2013, 12:54   #11
ViR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qlong View Post
Stock or Guarder frame?
ViR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2013, 14:09   #12
Qlong
Division

Oh it was Guarder. The ABS would fair better as the material is more elastic, but will eventually give in to fatigue fracture as well. You were there, TTAC Night Fighter course. After that, I started yelling out my shots

I ended up milling through the faux pin and putting making a pin for it. Stupid Guarder....

Looking at your 5-7 is making me want to get another one!

Weee!
Qlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2013, 22:41   #13
e-luder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLusion View Post
Sounds like they're still using the same polyCRAPonate that they used for their AEG pistons...
....and their Glock loading muzzles.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Media