Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

VFC Mark 12 SPR - Full Review w/ Pics

:

Reviews

Old March 6th, 2012, 20:50   #1
suzenonest

VFC Mark 12 SPR - Full Review w/ Pics

I have been looking to buy myself an airsoft gun for the last couple years now, and with so many options, I wasn't sure which one to get. I loved the simplicity and versatility of any AR-15 based rifle, especially the type designed for long range shooting. I like BA rifles, however AEG's seemed like the best choice. This would not be my first airsoft gun ever, but would definitely be the first high quality rifle I would own, so I had it made up in my mind I wanted to buy the best.

A friend of mine recently bought the new VFC HK416 and was very impressed with the realistic look and feel. After doing lots and lots of research, I decided I too wanted to buy VFC. Looking back now, I am convinced I made the correct choice.

There are a few reviews on the M4 E-Series guns on the web, but none on the Mark 12 SPR.

So on the the review...

I purchased the VFC M4 E-Series Mark 12 Mod 0 from Black Widow Paintball, a local retailer in Hamilton, which was supplied by Mach1.

The rifle came nicely wrapped and securely placed in a big black cardboard box, pretty standard stuff. It came with one 300 round high cap, 1 replacement spring and a product catalogue.

When I first picked up the gun, I was very impressed with the weight and feel. It felt very solid, with no wobble at all!

The full stock is a very solid ABS plastic, and can house a large battery. Currently I only have a 1200 mah nunchuck battery, which wobbles around inside abit, but a large battery would fit snug.

The receiver is all metal with laser etchings. No real trades on this rifle, only the VFC trades, however they do look good.

The selector switch is stiff, and has a nice 'click' when changing firing modes. The receiver has a functioning bolt catch, which allows the bolt to stay back after pulling the charging handle so you can adjust your hop up. The forward assist can be pushed, but is non functioning.

The RAS is one of the most impressive part on this gun to me. It is 12.5'', one piece CNC'd aluminum.

The outer barrel is 19''. The SPR flashider has a ring which can be removed, exposing threads for a SPR suppressor (which was back ordered and I am still waiting to receive). There is also 14mm threads to attach any other after market barrel extensions/suppressors.

The RAS is attached to the upper receiver with 3/4'' of threading, which is no doubt the reason why there is zero barrel wobble.

To separate the upper and lower receiver, remove the mag and push the two body pins out. Note on VFC guns, the body pins do not fully come out of the receiver, but held in place to avoid losing them.

Removing the upper receiver exposes the aluminum gearbox.

The inner barrel/ hop up can now freely slide out of the outer barrel. The inner barrel is 470mm in length. The hop up unit is clear and seems to function properly using .25g bb's. I have .30g in now and will report on experience with these later.

The removal of 2 hex screws on the underside will loosen the gas block and faux gas tube.

This gas tube was the only part on the gun that rattled, but only when the gun was held upside down. This was because there was nothing for the end closest to the receiver to be secured too. Wrapping the end in electrical tape allows it to sit straight and level now, with zero rattle.

Since the only previous gun experience I had was on my Walmart plastic M4, I had a little trouble at first removing the gearbox.

First, remove battery and flip the fire selector to semi.Then remove pistol grip and motor. (like any M4 lol)

Next, the bolt catch release needed to be removed. There's a little pin the must be pushed out first. Then push down on the piece on the opposite side and the bolt catch should slide right out.

Then push the mag release button in, while rotating the arm on opposite side.

Now for the fun part, the gearbox.
The small piece and spring right below the cylinder is the other side to the bolt catch. That's what you push down to free the bolt catch after removing the pin.

From what I can tell, and from others testimony, the internals are very high quality. The parts are not sitting loose at all, which also made reassembly very easy. There was very minimal grease and seemed to be properly shimmed already. The gearbox uses 8mm bushings*. I removed the spring/piston/cylinder components, closed the mechbox and inspected the gears. They moved very smooth and had no play at all. Well done VFC!

The spring guide does not screw together with stock through the buffer tube, which was much easier. It was also full metal with bearings.

The tappet plate is plastic, but seems strong enough. The piston had the second tooth already removed, however did not quite have correct AoE. I glued a rubber spacer to the cylinder head, and shaved the 3rd tooth to correct AoE.

The piston head is ported aluminum with o-ring, and has GREAT compression. I pulled the cylinder and piston out and covered the nozzle with my finger while pushing the piston in and.... ZERO COMPRESSION LOSS!

Swapped the spring since the original one shot too hot, and might prematurely wear down the internals.

Overview:

I am extremely impressed with this rifle. Right out of the box it was performing very well. With about $3 in materials, I was able to fix any body/ gearbox issues, and don't expect to have to open this up for a very long time now. I may get new hop up rubbers and a tightbore barrel in the future, but will be running as is now for awhile. I'm really looking forward to taking her to my first game.

I also made an order off airsoftparts.com for a smart charger, .30g madbull bb's, a foregrip/bipod and 5 midcap VN style mags.

Will update pics regularly.

If I've missed anything or you have any questions, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to get an answer to you quickly.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by suzenonest; December 26th, 2012 at 23:16..
suzenonest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2012, 00:17   #2
T@NK
a.k.a. wingmantank

this is a mod 1, not mod 0. to be more precisely, it's not even a mod 1, mod 1 is using a KAC FF RAS

Last edited by T@NK; March 7th, 2012 at 00:26..
T@NK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2012, 02:36   #3
THe_Silencer

Good to see another Hamiltonian! Nice review, VFC is one of the best.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle
-Founder of Steel City Hamilton Infantry and Tactics
-Certified level 43 Autosniper by Commander Amos
THe_Silencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2012, 10:01   #4
horto

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@NK View Post
this is a mod 1, not mod 0. to be more precisely, it's not even a mod 1, mod 1 is using a KAC FF RAS
with respect to VFC's lineup (and their naming schemes) the mod 0 has a fixed stock as above whereas the mod 1 has a crane stock.

OP: Nice review, nice blaster. I'd love to see that thing painted up nice...

Old March 7th, 2012, 10:01   #5
Hooobers

I love me some VFC
Hooobers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2012, 10:48   #6
kyle milliken

good job on the review and, it's great to see someone eles who loves their vfc. one question though, whats with the penut butter like grease on the gears?

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
Albert Einstein
US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)
kyle milliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2012, 10:55   #7
T@NK
a.k.a. wingmantank

I see, thx horto

Last edited by T@NK; March 7th, 2012 at 10:57..
T@NK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2012, 11:33   #8
suzenonest

I don't know if I'll be painting her up just yet. Might wait til after my first game.

I have no idea what kind of grease that is, at least it wasn't all over the place tho. I used some lithium grease instead. Seems to be workin well.

All I need to get now is a scope, which I'll prolly be ordering from ehobby, unless I can find one I like for cheaper in country.

Last edited by suzenonest; March 10th, 2012 at 11:44..
suzenonest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2012, 15:51   #9
Wrath144
formerly steyr

I believe those are just solid bushings, not bearings. Also I suggest having a spare piston on hand, those clear ones love to break.
Old June 6th, 2013, 18:48   #10
davedave

is there a mk 12 thats not the "e series" ?
davedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2013, 23:32   #11
Xm4st3r

Send a message via MSN to Xm4st3r
Thanks for the review
Xm4st3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2013, 20:21   #12
Melomitch

Hey...I recently purchased the same gun and swapped in a 6.03 tb barrel shooting .3 bbs...also swapped in a 7.4 1000mah lipo....left the stock spring in as a play a lot if outdoor games...

You never updated wether or not you swapped in a tb barrel, or how your experience was using .3 bbs...looking to compare gun performance to yours.

Thanks!!!!
Melomitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 08:43   #13
Stealth
Mr. Silencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave View Post
is there a mk 12 thats not the "e series" ?
Yes. But you'd pay non-E-series price for one. It's also an accurate depiction of the MK12 with a KAC SPR RAS
Stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 20:06   #14
mr_nuts31

Not trying to sound like a prick, but here's a MK12 MOD 1:

now here's a MOD 0 (note the handguard):

Now that I got that out of my system, good review there. As for a scope option, I recommend a NC-Star Mark III 3x-9x zoom scope. I use it on my scratch-built MK 12 and it works great.
mr_nuts31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2013, 09:45   #15
uncle_benny12

The rail system in the OP's pics is different than the SPR MK12 MOD 1.

Not sure why VFC labelled it a SPR, but here is what their GBBR version looks like with the correct rail system: http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/vfc-colt-...-cybergun.html
uncle_benny12 is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Reviews