SpecterDR ELCANS

:

Accessories Discussion

Old January 14th, 2015, 00:12   #1
daishi

Send a message via MSN to daishi
SpecterDR ELCANS

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if any of you fine folks could point me in the direction of a good specter elcan? Preferably I'm looking for one in black with an illuminated reticule (or otherwise). I am hoping for a 1-4 times magnification and EYE RELIEF is the most important, as I of course will be wearing full face protection, so I cant be trying to become a pirate with the thing. I am not looking for a budget super saver replica but nothing crazy ($500+). I do prefer to have trades on it as well, but that just a minor thing.

Thanks for your knowledge in advance!

P.S To be mounted on a GBBR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latvian291 View Post
This is one of the funniest things I've read.
Commandment 1 of LMGesus: Fuck getting kills. That's the job of your teammates, otherwise known as the cannon fodder. Your job is to be scary.

Last edited by daishi; January 14th, 2015 at 00:31..
daishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2015, 00:24   #2
Gato
ASC's Whiny Bitch

Just a word of warning, having used a number of clone elcans, most won't hold zero on GBBR.

Also, which Spectre Elcan..... most of the Elcan sightys are part of their "Spectre" line. Do you mean the SpecterOS™ 3.4x, SpecterOS™ 4x, SpecterOZ™ 5-20x Continuous Optical Zoom Scope, SpecterOS™ 3.4x - M145 MGO, SpecterDR™ 1-4x or one of their other optics?

Simply put, there are a lot of optics in the SPECTRE family and I've heard people using Spectre to talk about everything from their C79 (3.4x Spectre OS) to their Spectre DR and other optics in the Dual Role line.

I run an RS Spectre OS 3.4x and simply put, the optic is fantastic for getting a good view of things going on, but not for much else as it won't zero at limited airsoft ranges.
Certified Level 3.1415926 Sniper Certified
Certified Level 3.1415926 Orbital Weapons platform Certified
Gato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2015, 00:25   #3
daishi

Im talking about the specter DR 1-4 times.
Quote:
Commandment 1 of LMGesus: Fuck getting kills. That's the job of your teammates, otherwise known as the cannon fodder. Your job is to be scary.
Old January 14th, 2015, 00:38   #4
Drake
E-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gato View Post
Just a word of warning, having used a number of clone elcans, most won't hold zero on GBBR.
Which one(s) do?
Old January 14th, 2015, 00:42   #5
daishi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Which one(s) do?
TA sells some nice ELCANS, both illuminated and none illuminated that do hold zero in my experience. Maybe I was lucky? Also the one from AD does as well. Unfortunately I need a specterDR lol.
Quote:
Old January 14th, 2015, 00:59   #6
leth1337

my G&G elcan spectreDR (from ASP) holds zero on a gbbr, only issue is the illumination gets a little wonky on some settings. the docter sight holds zero also
Old January 14th, 2015, 01:47   #7
Gato
ASC's Whiny Bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Which one(s) do?
The best clone Elcan I had was a random no name one someone got me off Ebay...... :P
Certified Level 3.1415926 Sniper Certified
Certified Level 3.1415926 Orbital Weapons platform Certified
Gato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2015, 07:33   #8
whisp

I just got the G&G one. Thus far from testing it seems to hold zero due to the way you sight it in. There bottom up/down screw is really stiff and since the left to right is a screw style as well I havn't seen it move either way after shaking it around a bunch and such and putting it back on. Good clarity on the lens and the zoom is pretty good. Some people may not like the red dot and it takes some getting use to. That is the one thing I noticed on mine that the dot isn't perfectly set on the back etched dot of the reticle. It glows more along the edges like a guarter moon. Also since the dot is on a black dot it is sort of faded. Other issue I noticed is the bleedthru but if you use the second lowest setting you don't get that which is still pretty bright.

As for a light up reticle I have looked at others online and for the airsoft platform I havn't seen a model that the reticle itself lights up. They have all been red/green dot instead. Be interesting if anyone has to point out one with the reticle that lights up.

Have to realize this is an airsoft one and real elcans go for $2200 and up do I am happy with mine. Would love to have a real one. maybe some day when I win the lottery.
whisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2015, 08:51   #9
daishi

Yaj I heard a few good things about the g&g ones, but id much rather something with the trades on it.
Quote:
Old January 14th, 2015, 11:21   #10
Spike
Privateer Airsoft

FYI, the G&G ones, like most G&G optics, are literally the exact same as the no name china ones. They even have the same packaging, except for G&G puts a cardboard sleeve around them.
Old January 14th, 2015, 11:30   #11
waylander

The one thing about manufacturing is that the ones made for a private label typically have higher QC tests to pass. Sure it could be made in the same factory and using the same components as the no name ones but I'm guessing that G&G requires a stricter QC pass test.

Our company has some items manufactured in china and ya, they will cut corners and try to save a penny wherever they can but we have required a minimum QC on our items and we do our own tests on received materials, any that fail are returned or credited.
waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2015, 20:22   #12
whisp

You can also add trades to the G&G since it is blank or your own logo.
Old January 14th, 2015, 21:21   #13
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

I would advise against the ehobby noname brand
I've been using the phantom gear and it's been fantastic, but I don't think it would retain zero without putting blue loctite on the adjuster threads
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2015, 23:27   #14
daishi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderCactus View Post
I would advise against the ehobby noname brand
I've been using the phantom gear and it's been fantastic, but I don't think it would retain zero without putting blue loctite on the adjuster threads
Ive heard that the phantom has terrible eye relief. Otherwise I would have bought it.

I'm going to go look at the sight from airoftparts that has the mini doctor sight on it. He says its an excellent sight but it has no trademarks and I'm not sure what brand it is.
Quote:
Old January 18th, 2015, 12:52   #15
whisp

Something I didn't even realize my G&G elcan can do is that above the r/l adjustment there is a small allan screw. If you twist it all the way down it actually locks the right left adjustment screw so that it holds its aligned spot. Its not in the instructions and it has never been mention in a youtube video.

I have attached a pic showing an arrow to where it roughly is. You tighten it down. I was just playing around with it and was like whats this do and did it and found that out. I also removed the cheap thread for the battery cap and used a black fishing leader with some electronic heat shrinking tube and viola no more crappy thread.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wireattachmentarrow.jpg (118.5 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by whisp; January 18th, 2015 at 14:14..
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Accessories Discussion