Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Review - KJW Glock 23

:

Reviews

Old July 13th, 2005, 20:04   #1
captainafternoon
mrlexmark

Review - KJW Glock 23

Well here we go, a review the the Kuan Ju Works Glock 23 ABS Version.
I got it as a birthday present, ordered from www.specarms.com

Background
The Glock 23 in real steel terms is a semiautomatic .40 caliber pistol. Exact same size as the Glock 19 so you can expect the KJW Glock 23 to be the exact same shape as the KSC Glock 19 except for the sights.

The KJW G23 internals were biult directly off of the KJW G27 which in turn was built off of the TM Glock 26 just scaled up to fit in the G23 frame.

KSC also offers the G23 but as a switch fire, semi/full automatic called the G23f.

Package
It came in the mail nicely wrapped in brown paper. Its a styrofoam box with thin cardboard covering it. The package included the Glock 23, the Magazine, and the guns manuals.

The guns manual is actually a KJW Glock 27 cleverly wrapped in a Glock 23 Cover. Since the internals of the Glock 23 are identical to the G27 the people at KJ didnt feel the need to make a new manual.

Look's and Feel
Takeing the gun out of the box and into my hands i first felt that it had a pretty nice weight into it for a plasic gun, but most of the wieght is in the magazine.

The lower frame of the gun is well textured and gives good grip. The lower frame also allows for pistol accesories to be attached due to the biult in rail system. The finish on the gun was well made for a KJW, the whole lower frame is textured but is also a tad too shiny. There are seams on the lower frame but they arent too visable to bother anyone.

The slide is all matte black plastic and smooth much to the real steel looks. There are seams also on the slide but not on the side or top. You can only see the seams on the front of the slide and the rear but once again there not too visable.

The sights on this gun are the three dot system instead of the "U" rear sight.
The front sight is plastic and the rear slgith is metal. The dots on the sight are of a bright white color witch really stands out.

Another thing i would like to say is that the bottom frame of the gun is VERY solid and it is reinforced from the inside by a metal frame.

Trades
First off i would like to talk about the Trades on the gun. Ill start with trades on the slide. On the left side of the slide it bears the funny looking G with no lock in the middle followed by a 23 and than near the middle it says .40SW. To me these trades could ahve been done better because there pretty "fine" and not indented into the plastic deep enough to look nice.

Now on the left side of the slide it just has a serial number "KJ0289" just underneath the ejection port and the same serial number just above that on the outer barrel covering the ejection port. This side however looks alot better done with deaper markings into the plastic but no authentic at all.

The trades on the lower frame of the gun however are quite nice. It has the authentic Glock logo on the left side of the handle and on the other side it has Made in Austria, Glock Inc. Smyrna CA. just above the thumb rest for left handed shooters. Far low under that is has US. PAT followed by the patent number.

Take Down
The gun can be taken down just like any other glock. Remove the magazine, make sure the hammer is cocked, pull down the take down switch on both sides and the slide, slides right off the front of the gun, revealing the recoil rod. To take that off grip the metal flange at the front of the gun and the rear of the recoil rod and depress the sping until you can take the recoil rod out. To take the barrel out, simply lower it and push is forwards than slide it out the top. Once again very easy and simple.

With the slide off you can see that there is a little gear that controls your hop up. You will also notice that it is pretty simple inside and easy to take apart incase any thing happens. The rail in witch the slide sits on is infact metal not plastic.

Shooting
The gun shoot with a very nice and crisp blow back. It cant puncture a soda can from 2 meters but it will from about a foot away. I dont have any FPS equipment so i cant tell you how fast it shoots. The manufacturer says it can shoot up to 270FPS.

Accuracy with this gun is much to be proud of but i can say it will get the gob done. The groupings are around 1.5 inches apart shooting from a 5 meter distance with excel .23 bbs and using propane. I can say shooting with this in a game would be done easly becuase of its compact size its easy to handle and quick to aim. You would be able to nail anyperson in range of the gun.

Conclusions
This is a quite decent gun for its price around 200 houndred dollars. Shoots pretty hard and pretty accurate with the hopup adjusted properly. Its not quite of a show off piece since the trades are kind of off and it doesnt feature to many metal parts on the outside. Shooting with this gun on 134a will definitly extend the life of the plastic slide but since this gun was designed to be run on propane i ran it on propane. My slide cracked after about over 1000 rounds in a months firing. The gun with a plastic slide will also sometimes get jammed on the blowback because of too much power and the weak materal. This can be fixed though but it can be quite a hassle getting it unjammed. More about that and other problems i went through here. http://airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=14975

On the other hand instead of getting the ABS version of this gun you can save up about 60 dollars more and purchase the metal slide and barrel version of this gun. It would really benifit from the metal slide and would make a perfect skirmishing sidearm.

Another note is if you get a abs slide for this gun, the metal slides are quite unobtainable unless Grim Fandango can order yoClick here for the rest. u a meta slide directly form STTi. If your parts break on your gun you can also try Combatdepot.com for replacement parts.

I would rate the ABS Version 7/10, i have not owned the metal slide version but surely it would be alot higher than this.

**Update**
Got my new metal slide thanks to Grim Fandango and now this gun is kickin.

Also finally got some shots of the gun.

Click here for the rest!
captainafternoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2005, 22:37   #2
captainafternoon
mrlexmark

Bump.
Old July 27th, 2010, 22:15   #3
solidgear34

so do you recommend this gun because i am thinking of getting a canadian kjw g23 plastic slide then upgrade to a metal 1
solidgear34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2010, 16:38   #4
captainafternoon
mrlexmark

lets just say its a good first pistol. its boring after a while but thats just me.

Save up some money and get something better from the AV'D section of the forum.

The plastic slide will probably break too.
Old April 10th, 2011, 15:46   #5
Theitaliangun

This gun suck I have buy it 3 days ago. The first day the gun going well but today while shooting with the glock barrel is broken IT SUCK!!!!!!!
Theitaliangun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2011, 20:10   #6
Mitchell12
vision impaired

I got my KJW G23 used and it has been flawless. Gets used and abused never had a jam or missfeed. It's the Cansoft one and I have 4 mags for it and put ALOT of rounds through it, I think it is about 3 years old with about 1 1/2 years of gaming EVERY weekend and putting atleast a mag through it each week.

On propane lubing it to the point of almost excessive seems to be the key. I actually used tornado grenade oil on some of the parts.
Mitchell12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2011, 22:04   #7
S7EVIN

I'm thinking of buying this gun. I have some questions though, I have seen pictures of the gun looking kind of boxy and more square and compact like, and then I have seen pictures of the gun looking more elongated and the barrel looks longer. Can you tell me which it is? thanks.
S7EVIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2011, 23:43   #8
Saberwing

Not sure how much clearer I can get...

Old April 22nd, 2011, 11:16   #9
oniwagamaru
Occifer

I have one. Its boxy and compact.
REGULAR GUY
Certified Level 34 Autosniper
μολών λαβε
oniwagamaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2011, 11:20   #10
Mitchell12
vision impaired

It's a glock... If it doesn't look like a glock than it's not a glock...
Old April 22nd, 2011, 16:04   #11
S7EVIN

Old April 22nd, 2011, 16:11   #12
R.I.T.Z
Crackers

Quote:
Originally Posted by S7EVIN View Post
I'm thinking of buying this gun. I have some questions though, I have seen pictures of the gun looking kind of boxy and more square and compact like, and then I have seen pictures of the gun looking more elongated and the barrel looks longer. Can you tell me which it is? thanks.
there are many versions of the glock
GLOCK MODELS
some long
some short
some boxy
some compact

Last edited by R.I.T.Z; April 22nd, 2011 at 16:18..
R.I.T.Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2011, 16:13   #13
Specs

Quote:
Don't dot dot dot him...do some research.

Kingston airsoft, we do it better.
Specs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2011, 17:20   #14
S7EVIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specs View Post
Don't dot dot dot him...do some research.
I have.
Old April 22nd, 2011, 18:01   #15
Mitchell12
vision impaired

Quote:
I have.
Well if you don't know what a glock looks like then apparently your computer is faulty and cannot load images. Try clearing your browser history and reloading Wikipedia.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Reviews