Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

HFC/greengas/lubed propane

:

Newbie Tank

Old November 12th, 2016, 15:31   #1
mikebarkski

HFC/greengas/lubed propane

is there really a difference?....green gass is pricey and HFC is hard to order online and idont wanna destroy a gun/mag with poorly lubed propane...am i safe to stick with propane and a lube kit for an HFC mag?
mikebarkski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2016, 16:16   #2
BenG

green gas is propane with silicon oil premixed and an odor additive so it isnt mistakenly used as propane for other applications, both propane and green gas will operate your gun at the same pressure, you can for lack of a better explanation "make your own green gas" by putting a dab of silicon oil on the fill nozzle before filling, some of it will be forced in along with the propane, alternativly you could buy a can of green gas and run the occasional magazine with it.

Age Verifier ~ Calgary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderCactus View Post
I think that's the direction I should have gone with this one though.
gen1 - I can't see shit
gen2 - I see LOTS of green, but not many people
gen3 - Nobody wants to play with me because I'm an elitist asshole now

Last edited by BenG; November 13th, 2016 at 15:39..
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2016, 18:57   #3
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

the lube is for the mag seals, nothing else. Without lube they may dry out and leak. The lube is bad for the hopup bucking in almost all instances, it will either cause you to lose hop effectiveness because of less friction or in the case of kwa rubbers, it swells the rubber so that you get misfiring.

I lube a half/quarter load of gas probably once in 20 mag uses or if I'm storing or not using the gun for a while, and then before I use the mags again I will generally vent the gas that's in them and load unlubed gas for shooting.

In the case of tm mags, nothing will prevent the mail seal between the halves of the mag from leaking. They'll just leak no matter what after a while.
Old November 12th, 2016, 20:20   #4
RainyEyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebarkski View Post
is there really a difference?....green gass is pricey and HFC is hard to order online and idont wanna destroy a gun/mag with poorly lubed propane...am i safe to stick with propane and a lube kit for an HFC mag?
2 drops for 10 mags don't forget that.

If you poorly lube your mags worst that could happen is that it leaks and at that point just out some more oil on the o-rings let it sit for a while to expand again and it's fixed.
RainyEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2016, 20:39   #5
ccyg8774

“Airsoft” HFC is also called HFC134a or 134a, also a refrigerant used in fridge and AC and used as "duster gas". I think (correct me if I am wrong), airsoft HFC do not contains oil.
HFC134a has lower pressure compares to propane/green gas at same temperature.
In guns designed for HFC134a, running propane/GG may or may not damage the loading nozzle and/or the slide in the long run.

Last edited by ccyg8774; November 14th, 2016 at 15:14..
ccyg8774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2016, 21:51   #6
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

HFC is short for hydroflourocarbons:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organo...ofluorocarbons

so if you just say HFC that's just a category of compounds. If you are referring to what is commonly used as airsoft gas in duster gas, it is HFC134a. The 2 items by themselves technically don't mean anything relevant to airsoft usage.

It's like going into an auto parts store and asking for fluid.
Old November 15th, 2016, 15:27   #7
mikebarkski

so is the term HFC134a the same as saying 'duster gas'? and is that stuff the same as the dust off used to clean computer parts?
mikebarkski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2016, 16:04   #8
cetane

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebarkski View Post
so is the term HFC134a the same as saying 'duster gas'? and is that stuff the same as the dust off used to clean computer parts?
No. some "dusters" are pure 134a. Some have no 134a at all but are a mix of other voodoo stuff that is more environmentally friendly.
cetane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2016, 16:11   #9
Drake
E-01

Firstly, as ccyg8774, HFC134a (aka "duster" and "blue gas") is not the same as Green Gas/propane: its much lower pressure. You'll usually find this for Japanese guns, specially older models, and some cannot support the higher pressures of green gas (they'll kick like a mule but you'll crack your slide or damage other parts, or blow out reservoir seals etc)

HFC134a (tetrafluoroethane) is a refrigerant which was also used in duster gas, but some morons started huffing it and died (literally) and its use is also restricted because of climate change, so most duster gas now is difluoroethane (HFC152a) which is unfortunately lower pressure and doesn't work very well to power airsoft. However HFC152a is more flammable than HFC134a so duster for specialized equipment (such as professional photography) can still be found, which still uses HFC134a. Expect to pay considerably more for it than your average Staples duster.

At this point in time, unless you're a collector or have your heart set on some unusual gun only produced by some rarer Japanese company -- which absolutely cannot run anything else but duster -- I'd suggest you just pick from the list of commonly available guns which can run propane. Anything coming out of China/Hong Kong/Taiwan runs propane.

Last edited by Drake; November 15th, 2016 at 16:16..
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2016, 17:22   #10
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

or unless you know where to find hfc134a. It IS still commercially available in select retailers, but the can I just picked up was 8$ where that could've bought 2x the amount of propane. But given the fact that it can be very hard to get certain tm pistol parts, I will run the duster on guns only when temperatures make propane very high pressure.

134a will be marked as hfc 134a or under the contents it will list the chemical compound name of tetrafluoroethane, so read your labels. Other gasses may be corrosive to any seals or other parts, so use those other gasses at your own peril.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank