:

Upgrades & Modifications

Old January 13th, 2011, 22:34   #796
jamuke

maybe your floating valve, ( inside the loading nozzle) is shot
Old January 14th, 2011, 12:41   #797
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

Sounds like you have a gremlin. Problems like this aren't easy to locate. When I come across problems like this, I'll start with a known working gun, and start swapping in part by part from the problem gun, till it produces a negative result. It's time consuming and a pain in the butt.
ILLusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2011, 18:58   #798
turok_t

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLusion View Post
Sounds like you have a gremlin. Problems like this aren't easy to locate. When I come across problems like this, I'll start with a known working gun, and start swapping in part by part from the problem gun, till it produces a negative result. It's time consuming and a pain in the butt.
yeah thats what im planning to do..
turok_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2011, 22:10   #799
-Clutch-

Alright here's a lovely issue I can't seem to figure out. Being the curious individual I am I figured I'd take a part the thumb safety out of boredom. Now I can't figure out where those 2 small pieces that fell out go (the spring and the little rod). Help? lol guess thats what I get for fiddling.
-Clutch- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2011, 22:16   #800
pusangani
Official ASC "Dumb Ass"

should be 2 rods, one pushes against the slide catch, and the other pushes against the thump safety, if one plunger is already in (since u said only 2 parts fell out) then simply put back in the spring and then the plunger with the pointy side in first.
Old January 19th, 2011, 16:10   #801
turok_t

if i soak my mag lip seal into silicon oil for a few days causing it to swell, will it form better contact with the BBU, and hence, less chance of a gas leak?
Old January 19th, 2011, 16:33   #802
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by turok_t View Post
if i soak my mag lip seal into silicon oil for a few days causing it to swell, will it form better contact with the BBU, and hence, less chance of a gas leak?
Well... I suppose, yes, if there's currently a problem causing your nozzle to sit further away from the magazine than it should.

Is that the case? Otherwise, you could just be introducing problems or fixing problems where there aren't any. Such as the so-called plumber's tape "mod".
Old January 19th, 2011, 17:24   #803
turok_t

Quote:
Well... I suppose, yes, if there's currently a problem causing your nozzle to sit further away from the magazine than it should.

Is that the case? Otherwise, you could just be introducing problems or fixing problems where there aren't any. Such as the so-called plumber's tape "mod".
Well, it was just an idea I had... not sure if its the mag seal lip, but i will do more test..

Wanna hear something weird?

I disassembled my gun and the IK bbu piston seems to be slightly loose so i fastened it more. I was thinking maybe because it was loose, it wasn't compressing the o-ring as much, causing gas to leak out.

I switched to a stock BBU with AS nozzle and my fps seems to be back to normal. With my hop up turned up, fps went up even more.

Then i switched back to my IK BBU and SD POM nozzle and my FPS seems to be fine..

Then i got greedy, I thought that my FPS leak had to be caused by the piston head being loose. I took out the piston in the IK BBU and i wrapped a thin layer of teflon tape around the crevice where the oring goes and replaced the oring on top. My fps then dropped all the way to 100fps. I removed the thin piece of teflon again and my fps again remained at 100fps
Old January 19th, 2011, 18:12   #804
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

And that.... is the exact reason why the phrase has been coined:

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

LOL.
Old January 20th, 2011, 06:31   #805
Jyce

I just wanna thank you Illusion, I got one of the new WE dragons but was nervous about the plastic frame, especially after one game the front got a crack right where the screw holds the front of the slide** together. With your vid I successfully took apart my old dead dragon and replaced the plastic frame with the old monkey metal one. Much more solid, I also was able to fix the safety which didn't work when I received it.

You've made this airsofter's day, thanks again.
Jyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2011, 17:28   #806
turok_t

Alright, so i finally fixed my hicapa, it kicks hard, shoots fast, and very accurate now. My FPS is around 335-345fps on 0.2g, and 275-290fps with 0.3g. I tried swapping each individual part with stock parts and fps is around the thing and its consistent. Im happy with where it is at and im not going to tinker around with it anymore, but I will chrono my gun at least once a week just to make sure the FPS is consistent.

Anyways, when I was taking apart my gun, the piston screw was slightly loose, so I figured that it didnt compress the piston oring as much, causing a bit of gas leak which lowered my fps. Anyways, I tightened the piston screw and added some locktite to keep it tight. Also, when I was testing it after several rounds of disassembly, check out what I found:

Theres a nice even, concentric hole in the middle of the cylinder bulb. This cyliner bulb supposed to be better, but I have no idea how this happened. So im right now, im just using the SD POM cylinder bulb, with my SD POM nozzle and SD valve blocker. The stock cylinder bulb doesnt bounce back up in the nozzle for some reason, so im just going to leave it as is right now.

Last edited by turok_t; January 21st, 2011 at 17:33..
Old January 21st, 2011, 19:48   #807
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

I'm surprised you got the Shooters Design POM valve to work. I've seen it fail in 100% of the setups I've tried.

I've recently seen this happen to three other Action Power Up Cylinder bulbs (one as recent as yesterday.) It turns out that the flow guide (the pointy part that sticks in to the cavity) is just pressure fit in to that hole. When you're shooting very powerful setups, the high pressure can actually pop that guide out, and shoot it out of your muzzle (yay! pointy metal projectile!)

I've already started looking for an alternative, but the only one that I've ever used that I found to be equally as good in performance (but more durable) is the Firefly one, and that one is only sold in a kit including the piston head. This isn't ideal for me.

I may have to start manufacturing my own... hmm...
Old January 21st, 2011, 22:14   #808
juicy

Same happened with a local guys gun. Wasn't shooting right, so I opened it up and found the pointy bit clanking around inside the loading nozzle. Definitely was a bit of a shock - I've been quite impressed by all other Action GBB products as of yet.

On another mostly unrelated note, did anyone know that the "Silverback" bulb for the TM G17 (I found it on Ehobby and ordered it because it was part of a larger package of parts) is of the same high flow/O-ring design? Pretty decent value for money on that one. Haven't sat around testing it yet though... I really need a chrono.

Anyway, ILLusion, if you were to make one that doesn't fall apart, I for one will buy it. I was just about to order the Action one for myself when I discovered the problem on the other guy's gun.
juicy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2011, 22:23   #809
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicy View Post
On another mostly unrelated note, did anyone know that the "Silverback" bulb for the TM G17 (I found it on Ehobby and ordered it because it was part of a larger package of parts) is of the same high flow/O-ring design? Pretty decent value for money on that one. Haven't sat around testing it yet though... I really need a chrono.
Actually, it's a bit different. The Marui Glock 17 valve doesn't have a step machined in to the exit end of it.

But in general, most of Marui's component designs are very similar. After all, the basic mechanism for these guns are more or less the same.

Last edited by ILLusion; January 21st, 2011 at 22:27..
Old January 22nd, 2011, 02:06   #810
juicy

Quote:
Actually, it's a bit different. The Marui Glock 17 valve doesn't have a step machined in to the exit end of it.

But in general, most of Marui's component designs are very similar. After all, the basic mechanism for these guns are more or less the same.
True that. I didn't mean it would fit/function in a Hi-Capa/1911/P226, I just meant it seemed like a neat part that I haven't seen for the Glock series as of yet.
juicy is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications