Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Unknown AEG problem

:

Doctor's Corner

Old April 4th, 2012, 18:36   #1
Joshery

Unknown AEG problem

Hey guys. I'm having some trouble with my M4 and I need it working in a couple days for a game, but I'm stumped. I'm pretty new to airsoft and I would really appreciate some help.

I've done a little bit of trouble shooting and I know that the battery, motor and wiring is all in working order. Also, I'm no expert, but it looks like all the gearbox parts are ok and in the right place.

Here's the problem: I have the entire gun assembled, the battery plugged in, and the chords attached to the motor. But I don't have the pinion gear (is that what it's called?) going into the gearbox, so the motor is still loose in the grip. I put the gun on semi and pull the trigger. The motor turns on. Good. So I push the motor into the gearbox and screw on the plate at the bottom of the grip. When I pull the trigger, nothing moves and I hear no sound. Also, there is friction at the end of the trigger pull that isn't there when the motor is loose.

Anyone know what could be wrong?
Joshery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2012, 18:56   #2
gettingshot

Try adjusting your motor height (screw in the middle of the grip at the bottom). Without seeing it it sounds like it could be as simple as your motor is too tight on the gears...hopefully it's an easy fix. Good luck
gettingshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2012, 19:20   #3
gettingshot

Other than the simple things though I'm sorry but I have no other thoughts
gettingshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2012, 19:29   #4
Cokeman
a.k.a. az29okg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshery View Post
Hey guys. I'm having some trouble with my M4 and I need it working in a couple days for a game, but I'm stumped. I'm pretty new to airsoft and I would really appreciate some help.

I've done a little bit of trouble shooting and I know that the battery, motor and wiring is all in working order. Also, I'm no expert, but it looks like all the gearbox parts are ok and in the right place.

Here's the problem: I have the entire gun assembled, the battery plugged in, and the chords attached to the motor. But I don't have the pinion gear (is that what it's called?) going into the gearbox, so the motor is still loose in the grip. I put the gun on semi and pull the trigger. The motor turns on. Good. So I push the motor into the gearbox and screw on the plate at the bottom of the grip. When I pull the trigger, nothing moves and I hear no sound. Also, there is friction at the end of the trigger pull that isn't there when the motor is loose.

Anyone know what could be wrong?
With the motor installed and pulling on the trigger results in no noise. This means that something is jammed. As the previous poster said, you may have the motor pushed up too high.

If that is not the case, then there is something jammed inside your motor. You said " looks like all the gearbox parts are ok and in the right place", does this mean that you took the gear box apart? When you put the mechbox shell together, did you have to push down hard to get a side to close? If so, then the piston or tappet plate may not be in the right position. I've had this happen to me a few times, as I'm pushing the spring in, the piston moves up slightly and sometimes the tappet plate as well, then when I put the shell together, the piston or tappet plate are not in the appropriate slots.

If the tappet plate is not in the right spot (jammed), then you won't be able to push the nozzle in and have it rebound out.
Cokeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2012, 19:36   #5
Joshery

Yup. I took it apart, and you're probably right; I did have some trouble getting the gearbox together. I'll try that.
Old April 5th, 2012, 19:55   #6
Joshery

Ok, so I took the gearbox apart again and made sure everything was in right. Then I put the motor back in the grip and started slowly tightening it and testing it, but it just made a grinding sound as soon as it touched the gears, and stopped if you pushed it in any further.... I'm thinking I missed something in the gearbox... I'll check yet again.
Old April 8th, 2012, 18:42   #7
Joshery

No luck... too late :P thanks for the help though.
Old April 8th, 2012, 18:46   #8
Maethori

Send a message via Skype™ to Maethori
Did you check to see if the gears spun well inside the gearbox without the motor or piston in there? It could be that the gears are shimmed too tightly.
Maethori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2012, 11:45   #9
Joshery

The gears were fine. But when the sector gear was supposed to catch on the piston, the piston was pushed up out of place and didn't slide back.
Old April 11th, 2012, 12:49   #10
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

also helps to know what brand AEG... have you replaced anything? Is the piston sitting correctly in the slide guides? If you replaced the piston, did you compare the two? I read somewhere that certain brands use a weirdly sized piston, so knowing what brand of gun would be helpful.
lurkingknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2012, 15:04   #11
Joshery

The gearbox is all made by SRC and I haven't actually upgraded or replaced anything yet. I was actually thinking that maybe the piston was getting worn out and not catching in the groves on the inside of the gearbox shell, but I've only fired 10 or 12 hicap mags with that gearbox and I didn't think it would wear out that much that fast.
Old April 13th, 2012, 15:43   #12
durak

Quote:
Ok, so I took the gearbox apart again and made sure everything was in right. Then I put the motor back in the grip and started slowly tightening it and testing it, but it just made a grinding sound as soon as it touched the gears, and stopped if you pushed it in any further.... I'm thinking I missed something in the gearbox... I'll check yet again.
check the wiring on your motor, you may have the polarity reversed. ive done it a few times in haste. if you changed your connector to deans or something you may have reversed the polarity at the connector. If the wiring is all correct, then it sounds like something is jamed or binding inside the mechbox.

your either over shimed, your piston rotated when you put the gearbox back together. or there is something in the teeth of your gears. to check your shimming. take your piston and spring out of the mechbox, and reassemble it without them. see if you can spin your gears with ease. if you cant then there is your problem. your gears should have some slight play, less than a mm to allow for lubrication.
durak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2012, 16:11   #13
Joshery

I checked the gears and the shimming is good. But how would you stop the piston from rotating when you put the gearbox back together? Is it rotating just because of the pressure from the spring?
Old April 13th, 2012, 16:14   #14
Gunny_McSmith
a.k.a. Palucol

Quote:
I checked the gears and the shimming is good. But how would you stop the piston from rotating when you put the gearbox back together? Is it rotating just because of the pressure from the spring?
This is where having an extra set of hands comes in handy.....

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner