Airsoft Canada
https://blackblitzairsoft.myshopify.com/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Your Experience with leg holsters please.

:

Gear Discussion

Old January 19th, 2015, 18:21   #16
MaybeStopCalling
Green Synergy

Quote:
Originally Posted by naminator View Post
Also nobody is going to charge you and try to disarm you of your pistol
Has happened, hence why I carry my sidearm in a Level 3 Holster.
MaybeStopCalling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2015, 18:33   #17
FOX_111
Le Roi des poissons d'avril

Droplegs in wooded environement suck. They tangle a lot, prevent from going prone and crawl confortably. They also get your pistol all covered in shit.

For CQB, they are ok.

I prefer a "high" drop-leg, wich put the pistol handle no higher than the belt line. Just enough to clear the vest. That way, the holdster don't move around when running and don't get caught in stuff so much.

As for retention systeme, I leave that to your specific needs.

Vérificateur d'âge: Terrebonne
FOX_111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2015, 18:38   #18
naminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaybeStopCalling View Post
Has happened, hence why I carry my sidearm in a Level 3 Holster.
Did you knock that person out? This is airsoft. I get the realism aspect. Shit I could understand it you where within 5 feet and tried to draw on him and he tried to stop you.

But full on disarmin someone? I have done course that teach you how to disarm an assailant and at full speed he could have broken your finger(s) or wrist. If somebody tried to take my sidearm from me they would rightfully earn a pimp slap to the face.
Were you maybe expecting 1+1 = donut?
naminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2015, 18:47   #19
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

chest works well in tight places like vehicles, but on the newer style of PC's your mag pouches are too close to the holster, obstructing your mag draw. Hard to see since the grip is camoform taped, but the holster is on the left side of my chest

Another big downside is if you don't have plates in your vest, it tends to flop around when you run. Depending on the weight of your pistol, my beretta felt like someone shoving me lol

Mounting on the side of a PC is impossible with the new style PCs unless you have a joint in your forearm. You'll look like a T-rex trying to scratch it's armpit.

Belt mounted works well if you have the holster angled back, good for quick draw, but makes vehicle draw downright impossible. Mounted upright works if you have no pouches on that side, I found mine still caught my cummerbund, though. Angled out works fantastic since it draws out, away from pouches. Dangerous in RS though since you're drawing the pistol with it pointed at your thigh.
The natural drop offset of the angled out adapter also helps, as the belt draw is just a tad too high to be comfortable for some.
Thigh rig is a great, natural draw, as the pistol sits (ideally) at the natural limp hanging point of your reach. However, depending on your leg type, you may suffer from the following:
heavy pistol flopping about on your thigh
chaffing caused by the above
loss of circulation from over tightening straps from trying to solve the above
limitation of running speed due to loss of circulation or floppy pistol
loss of pants due to the dropleg dragging them down

The ideal spot to mount a drop leg is as high as possible on your leg, to limit it's speed back and forth. You'll want a drop leg with TWO straps that go to your belt, and you'll want to fasten them far apart. This is to force the dropleg to center itself. And you'll want the straps just snug enough they don't affect circulation.
I'm one of those people who suffer from droplegs trying to take my pants off all the time. I've found what works best for me is having the inside panel of the dropleg and thigh strap as slippery as possible. It's secure enough with it's belt retention that it's not going anywhere side to side, so I just let it ride up and down freely and it doesn't bother me.
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2015, 19:01   #20
naminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderCactus View Post
I'm one of those people who suffer from droplegs trying to take my pants off all the time.
So I have learned two things:

1 Always wear clean underwear with droplegs.

2 You are easily pantsed on the battlefield.
Were you maybe expecting 1+1 = donut?
naminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2015, 19:17   #21
Danke

Drop leg is good if you wander through the woods with your arms limp at your side. Then you can grab it super fast.

Chest is great for fast transitions. You're firing a rifle and it goes click instead of bang. Drop the rifle and bring your hand straight back and the pistol is in your hand. Depending on they size and setup of your rig it may be impossible if you're traveling light.

I have found that just behind my right hip works best for most outdoor games. I can still reach and draw smoothly and the pistol is protected from being bashed around or drug through the dirt.

In all cases soft holsters suck.

A nice stiff pistol belt is really a huge plus. I have a Bianchi leather belt and HSGI riggers belt and they both really do the job.
Old January 19th, 2015, 20:29   #22
Wilkie

The leg rig is an archaic creation from a time when armor system weren't ridged enough to hold a pistol. You see less and less real "operators" running leg rigs do to the amount of movement the excerpt when the body is in motion. Trying to run or even jog in your average leg rig with pounds worth of pistol and magazines isn't fun nor practical.

I recomend a molle holster for a vest, or a duty belt
Wilkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2015, 22:22   #23
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

+1 to wilkie. The dropleg was meant for old soft armor carriers (OTV, CIRAS), of which you didn't have the waist room to use a battle belt.
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2015, 22:38   #24
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

now that I'm nto at work I'll elaborate a little.

As far as leg rigs go, if you want to run one, the serpa is the most stable, doesn't wobble on your leg (at least not on my fat ham) when it's properly tightened.

What I don't like about it being where it is, is that it interferes with my knee pad.

I keep the rig in my gear bag though, since it's the only way I will get my pistol on me when I run my p90. Since the p90 mags are so long, it's a pain in the ass to find appropriate molle space for a pistol, since the mags take up most of a zip vest. The vest being a vest and not a plate carrier is too long to really fit a battle belt. I suppose I could hang it off my pants or rigger belt, or run it off the vest belt, but it doesn't feel nice at that spot for me.

When running my rifle with a chest rig/pc I run the pistol on my battle belt, along with the pistol mags and 2-3 rifle mags. This is so if I over heat I can drop the chest rig and run 3 mags on the belt and a couple more in pockets in a pinch, and still be somewhat effective.
Old January 19th, 2015, 22:54   #25
waylander

Keeping in mind that this is for a mostly plastic TM airsoft pistol not a RS one, I wear my drop leg as described by Danke, high up on the thigh. I find that I can draw it fairly quickly when required and I don't have it on my PC which is minimalist. The drop leg also balanced my HSGI rig on my left leg which holds 2 M4 mags and 2 pistol mags.

With the light plastic TM pistols there is very little forward/backward sway while running.
waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2015, 00:01   #26
daishi

Send a message via MSN to daishi
Im not sure why everyone is bitching about drop legs tbh. Get a good one, not some china clone.

Ive been running a gcode holster with a mk23 (not a small gun by any means) for years.

Never had ONE problem with it. Running, proning and crawling is all doable. Retention is great and the draw is snappy. Plus its gcode so I can basically just buy a 10 dollar adapter and mount it anywhere if I feel like it or want to get a new gun...no problem... just buy another 45 dollar holster and all your adapters and mounting systems work with it.

It could also be due with your belt as well. Pantsing yourself is probably due to your own problems of not securing your pants by wearing an appropriate fitting rigid belt...Ive seen plenty of guys wearing drop legs with normal leather belts and they cant figure out why things arnt going as they hoped....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latvian291 View Post
This is one of the funniest things I've read.
Commandment 1 of LMGesus: Fuck getting kills. That's the job of your teammates, otherwise known as the cannon fodder. Your job is to be scary.

Last edited by daishi; January 20th, 2015 at 00:04..
daishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2015, 00:11   #27
Kozzie
a.k.a. Greedy

Belt mounted Safariland ALS
Kozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2015, 01:15   #28
MaybeStopCalling
Green Synergy

Quote:
Originally Posted by naminator View Post
Did you knock that person out? This is airsoft. I get the realism aspect. Shit I could understand it you where within 5 feet and tried to draw on him and he tried to stop you.

But full on disarmin someone? I have done course that teach you how to disarm an assailant and at full speed he could have broken your finger(s) or wrist. If somebody tried to take my sidearm from me they would rightfully earn a pimp slap to the face.
It was a scenario game. I had my 92FS in a Level 2 holster SLS holster as I was clearing a house. I forgot to check a corner, bad guy was in that corner... and next thing I know buddy's been shot by my own gun and I'm a hostage.

Yeah, definitely got the Level 3 holster after that. I run a Safariland 6280 SLS holster for my Glock 17, though I'm now transitioning to a Blackhawk! SERPA Level 3. I've tried running a dropleg holster, it just sucks in terms of comfort compared to a belt mounted holster with a 1.5-2.0 inch drop.
MaybeStopCalling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2015, 07:34   #29
whisp

I like drop leg even in wooded situations. As many mentioned I run it high on the leg as well. No idea why you wouldn't be able to go prone. I go prone with mine on with no issue. When I had it on side of plate carrier it was to high, I don't like it on my chest and really in my mind only smaller pistols should be carried there like a back up. Space is always needed for carrying stuff so an other reason I go with the drop leg holster. People say they are getting snagged well lots of gear can get snagged. It just goes with the territory of a woodland environment.
whisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2015, 10:06   #30
Zack The Ripper

Send a message via MSN to Zack The Ripper
Belted blaster iz bezt. Hip holster is the most viable option. Works with the most amount of kit setups. Doesn't get in the way. Easy to access. Plain and simple.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion