Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Radio Unlisenced Frequency Canada/USA

:

Gear Discussion

Old June 9th, 2015, 15:37   #1
Slodin

Radio Unlisenced Frequency Canada/USA

Hi,

I'm really new to this radio thing. I read some stuff on the internet but it doesn't help much as in a lot of them talk in technical terms and I have no idea what they all mean. I'm okay with programming channels in, I already tried that and I got that down so far. But I still have a few questions I just want some clarification. Also I am using a Baofeng UV-5R, my friend got it for the whole group, but no one have ever used a radio before.

I have also read our sticky, which is pretty good at explaining. But I just have one concern which is the USA laws on this. The field I go to "panther" is on the edge of the USA border, so in the post it said we cannot use the GMRS frequencies. If so we are fine using the 8-14 channels listed? So are they safe in the USA?

8 FRS 467.5625
9 FRS 467.5875
10 FRS 467.6125
11 FRS 467.6375
12 FRS 467.6625
13 FRS 467.6875
14 FRS 467.7125

I just typed in 467.562 in frequency mode and saved it in menu, so these things just automatically knows it's 467.5625? mine does show 467.5625 but I didn't type in the last digit.

Do I need to play with anymore settings after just saving all those 7 channels? or they are just good enough? (I set all my channels into Low mode, even though I heard no matter what these radios are illegal because of the W output, but I thought Low is lowering the chance someone actually do anything about it..)

Maybe we should of gotten a blister pack to play with then slowly move up..

Thanks for any input
Old June 9th, 2015, 15:51   #2
Blackthorne
A Total Bastard

Send a message via Skype™ to Blackthorne
Those are fine for freqs. The freqs are broken up in bands that are specific "steps" apart so the radio is just filling in the info it already "knows".

As far as using them "next" to the US, I wouldn't worry about it. If the field is explicitly saying they have had issues with US side I would avoid them however. No sense getting them in crap if they are really that close.
Old June 10th, 2015, 08:23   #3
Maniac Marshall

go to your menu option 1, should be 'step', set it to 2.5k, press menu to confirm,

you will see the last digit while in frequency mode, its just really tiny
Maniac Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 13:51   #4
Slodin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackthorne View Post
Those are fine for freqs. The freqs are broken up in bands that are specific "steps" apart so the radio is just filling in the info it already "knows".

As far as using them "next" to the US, I wouldn't worry about it. If the field is explicitly saying they have had issues with US side I would avoid them however. No sense getting them in crap if they are really that close.
They do milsim there so i'd assume they used radios, and they never said a thing about it..but tbh, this field never say much about anything..

I was actually even wondering if I can use those freq on the USA side, so me and my friends can comm without adding cellphone plans if we do gets split up in USA..
Old June 10th, 2015, 14:50   #5
Maniac Marshall

It seems that the standard FRS frequencies are also the standard unlicensed freqs they use in the US
Maniac Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 17:20   #6
DipTwit

Ya they are the same. I would think you're fine if you've properly set your radio to low power, but if you were really concerned about the power rating of your radio, it's pretty simple to take a course and get a HAM radio license, it shows that you know when not to use the higher power settings and thus allows you to legally own and use the radio.
DipTwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 17:55   #7
Hectic
Oh we do hate you, just never felt like wasting the time to give you a user title :P

Not to hijak, anyone know an examiner in the gta? Been thinkin about becoming a Ham just because I have 2 high powered radios now and I should have done it before I even got the first one but google doesnt really give me much to go on, there are a cpl local radio clubs but their sites are dated and they dont respond to emails.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDoorn View Post
Thanks Hectic,
While your posts are sometimes a difficult read, you sure are helpfull
Lvl. 3 certified sniper
FinchFieldAirsoft
Hectic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 21:32   #8
Slodin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hectic View Post
Not to hijak, anyone know an examiner in the gta? Been thinkin about becoming a Ham just because I have 2 high powered radios now and I should have done it before I even got the first one but google doesnt really give me much to go on, there are a cpl local radio clubs but their sites are dated and they dont respond to emails.
I searched "ham radio license Toronto" and it gave me some club info..you should call them up and ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by DipTwit View Post
Ya they are the same. I would think you're fine if you've properly set your radio to low power, but if you were really concerned about the power rating of your radio, it's pretty simple to take a course and get a HAM radio license, it shows that you know when not to use the higher power settings and thus allows you to legally own and use the radio.
I'm not really concerned about the power rating much..because it's gonna be 100% on low..(even tho it's still high 1w according to the manual)
we generally don't use radios too much..it's more of a just in case com tool.
I already have a bunch of licenses that needs to be obtained and renewed..god I don't want to add another LOL

Last edited by Slodin; June 10th, 2015 at 21:36..
Slodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 22:49   #9
Enthusiast

Ham radio has nothing to do with FRS or GMRS frequencies.
We have access to better frequency bands than high UHF.

There no annual cost to have a license, if you are interrested, I give you starter info.

Last edited by Enthusiast; June 10th, 2015 at 22:52..
Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2015, 12:14   #10
Kayn

As for using radios in the States. I just got back from a game in Michigan and everyone one was using them. No problems at all. I'm wondering if it is one of those laws that people just don't pay much attention to. Kinda like j walking.....with a radio

A problem is a chance for you to do your best.
Duke Ellington
Kayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2015, 14:43   #11
WPJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hectic View Post
Check out MARC.ca its the Mississauga Ham Club and they have examiners, free to club members and a small fee I think 5-10$ for non members to cover paper and filling costs. There a fine group.

Will
WPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2015, 14:46   #12
WPJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enthusiast View Post
Ham radio has nothing to do with FRS or GMRS frequencies.
We have access to better frequency bands than high UHF.

There no annual cost to have a license, if you are interrested, I give you starter info.
As stated better freqcuencys, if your hole team goes that way you can use a ugh or vhf frequency outside if the u license band and it will be harder foe other teams to hear your comms
Old June 24th, 2015, 22:44   #13
Ricochet
How much sand CAN you fit in your vagina!?

This is one area where the law is broken a little by everyone everywhere. Unfortunately current CRTC laws are not adequate for things such as airsoft. What I have been unofficially told by more than one source is that as long as we stay in the FRS/GMRS world and stay on airsoft fields and in the great outdoors we're unlikely to be bothered by authorities.

As far as the law goes. For starters we cannot own any hand programmable UHF band radios, so Puxing, Linton, Wouxun, Boafeng, etc, are technically illegal. That's even if you have a radio license. Second you can only own/operate this style of radio without a license if it is non-hand programmable and 1mW or less. Unfortunately that means your signal can be blocked by a tree, mild rainy weather or a small hill and/or short distances. Really the only sure fire way is to by those crappy Motorola Cobras or similar, but they aren't worth a damn really.

If you are considering a license, unfortunately they are only for one radio and for one preprogrammed channel. So you can't switch or have multi channels unless you pay for each. Also you'll need to buy the proper radio and they'll run you much more than the Chinese handhelds we all run. Also there are no group or company wide deals you can get, which would at least cover an airsoft facility nicely and its patrons. As a company you can of course get multi radio packages, but you still pay for each radio individually and its only for those very specific pieces of hardware. Change out one radio for another and you have to update the serial numbers. So really it isn't worth it.

In order for a proper airsoft field to run, they have to have at least three channels minimum. One for team A, one for team B and one for admin/emerge. And that's bare minimum. You have 100 plus players show up with God knows what radios on who the hell knows what channels and voila! There's no good middle ground nor adequate legal options.
Old June 25th, 2015, 09:03   #14
WPJ

Just to clarify, its not the CRTC but rather its Industry Canada witch controls the radio spectrum.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion