Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Recommened BBs in a pistol

:

Newbie Tank

Old April 10th, 2013, 14:45   #1
cav.

Recommened BBs in a pistol

Hi guys! I just received my KWA M1911 MK I. Opened the box and it says "Recommended use with 0.25g BBs." My question is, some games require you to have a gun that will not go over 350-360FPS shooting on .20g BBs. Does that mean I will not be able to use my pistol because it only takes .25g BB?

Still new at this Enlightenment is welcomed!
cav. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2013, 14:48   #2
testtube
A Total Bastard

Send a message via MSN to testtube
chrony your gun on .20 to see the velocity. you can use whatever weight you want in the pistol it's personal preference.
testtube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2013, 14:49   #3
L473ncy

No, you can still use it. Just make sure that when you do the initial chrono that it's under the limits.

Reason it's recommended is because the hop ups are usually tuned for those weights. Most TM springer pistols with fixed hop ups are tuned for .25g BB's.

In CQB you will chrono with .20g then use whatever you want. Typically I rock .25's for FIBUA/CQC games (eg. in a "CQB village" or indoor field) and .28's for outdoor longer range games.
Old April 10th, 2013, 15:09   #4
cav.

Oh ok. Thanks guys, I thought you had to use the recommended BB's stated in the game rules and on the gun. Thanks That clears things up for me!
Old April 10th, 2013, 16:09   #5
Hectic
Oh we do hate you, just never felt like wasting the time to give you a user title :P

All the above is true and id suggest 28 or even 30 see what the gun likes best but keep in mind alot of indoor places only allow the use of 20's no higher so youll need some for those places
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDoorn View Post
Thanks Hectic,
While your posts are sometimes a difficult read, you sure are helpfull
Lvl. 3 certified sniper
FinchFieldAirsoft
Hectic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2013, 20:23   #6
cav.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hectic View Post
All the above is true and id suggest 28 or even 30 see what the gun likes best but keep in mind alot of indoor places only allow the use of 20's no higher so youll need some for those places
Yeah, I'll just buy a bag or two of 20s Already have a bag of 25

Thanks
Old April 10th, 2013, 20:37   #7
Eeyore
Suburban Gun Runner

GBB pistols love .28's. And I had a TM MK 23 Socom that thrived off of .30's.
http://i.imgur.com/wBfBB.gif
Eeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2013, 21:21   #8
cav.

Haha yeah?? I need to check what the FPS on the M1911 >_> Im hoping I wont need to downgrade anything

Is it worth getting a chrono as a beginner?
Old April 10th, 2013, 21:35   #9
K3vX

For the chrono, it's a "big" investment at first, but I bought mine and don't regret it.

Just get a good one, even if the price is higher. The ASC first choice would be the xCortech x3200, around 90$, and since you have the same as everyone else, your readings won't be off with the community.
K3vX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2013, 21:36   #10
BennyBoy

I'll find out if my KWA 23 n Usp will like .3s shortly

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
BennyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2013, 21:39   #11
cav.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K3vX View Post
For the chrono, it's a "big" investment at first, but I bought mine and don't regret it.

Just get a good one, even if the price is higher. The ASC first choice would be the xCortech x3200, around 90$, and since you have the same as everyone else, your readings won't be off with the community.
That was the one I was looking into..and also the one from Evike coz it's cheap. But reading reviews about Evike and the fact that it looks too good to be true, I will shell out a bit more! You get what you pay for :C Thanks!
Old April 10th, 2013, 21:58   #12
w1lp33

I use nothing but .28 and .3 in my pistols... Gas guns love heavy bbs :-)
w1lp33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2013, 22:29   #13
L473ncy

Note the reason why I run .25's indoors is because of the shorter engagement distances and the heavier the BB the longer it stays in the barrel for gas to act on it (gas expansion vs a more "linear" compression of a piston in an electric). For a short pistol it's not a big difference but in a gas rifle with a longer barrel you can actually increase the energy output of the BB significantly when using heavier BB's.

tl;dr Mind the energy output of a gas gun and the weight of BB you use. While in an electric it's more or less linear so a .20 will take the same energy as a .25 or heavier (they just move slower due to the momentum equation "m1v1=m2v2").
Old April 10th, 2013, 22:49   #14
cav.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L473ncy View Post
Note the reason why I run .25's indoors is because of the shorter engagement distances and the heavier the BB the longer it stays in the barrel for gas to act on it (gas expansion vs a more "linear" compression of a piston in an electric). For a short pistol it's not a big difference but in a gas rifle with a longer barrel you can actually increase the energy output of the BB significantly when using heavier BB's.

tl;dr Mind the energy output of a gas gun and the weight of BB you use. While in an electric it's more or less linear so a .20 will take the same energy as a .25 or heavier (they just move slower due to the momentum equation "m1v1=m2v2").
I probably will buy a bag of 28s to see the difference. Since my rifle is also a GBB, chances are I will just run with 20s and 25s. Dont think Ill do much outdoor events. Its good to know though
Old April 11th, 2013, 01:19   #15
Mr. Gruntsworthy

Generally the idea I find is that you use one grade weight higher outdoors. So for instance, if you use .20's for CQB, you'd use .23's for outdoors. That's the pattern I'm noticing.

Alas, my gun has a garbage fps and only fires @ 310 fps, so I'm stuck with .20's and .23's. :/

Also, a little off-topic, but cav, I noticed you're in Sheridan's animation program. Just a friendly hello from a Durham College Game Dev student!

Sidearm: KJW Taurus PT92 (olive drab)
320fps, semi-automatic. Propane GBB

Oshawa Deathmatch Community -- An open facebook group for Durham/Toronto Airsoft players. Join the Forums as well
Come join!

My Game Dev website: http://mikeseguin.webs.com/
Mr. Gruntsworthy is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank