Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Review - ASG Dan Wesson co2 Revolver

:

Reviews

Old June 9th, 2012, 09:51   #1
Kokanee
Ministry of Peace

Review - ASG Dan Wesson co2 Revolver

I've been looking for a Dan Wesson revolver for quite some time, but until recently they have been extremely overpriced in the Canadian market. However a Canadian retailer "Replica Airguns" just brought a shipment of these revolvers in last month, and while they are still charging a premium over US pricing, it's not as bad as other CDN retailers have been pulling.

The revolver I purchased currently goes for $245CAD from ChiGun Hobbies, I was able to buy it from Replica Airguns for $169CAD. US Pricing is generally approx $119US.

So onto the review;

Purchase

http://www.replicaairguns.com/buy-ai...oduct=11989701

As noted above I purchased this revolver from Replica Airguns. My item shipped the day after payment, and although there was a delay in delivery this was the fault of Canada Post, not the retailer. Replica Airguns ships via Loomis or CP, so if you want your item quick ask them to ship it Loomis to your work etc; four days to get from Toronto to Kingston via expedited parcel is ridiculous.

Before delivery, I contacted Replica Airguns (RA) with a follow up question about purchasing extra shells for this revolver, and they responded to me the same day via email. I should also note that there were some conditions put on the delivery of my package by RA in order to ensure that it ended up in the right hands; "Card for pickup" and "Proof of Age". This ensured that I had to go to my local post office and not only provide ID to prove who I was, but that I was over 18. Given that minors getting their hands on airsoft anything is a big concern here, I think that is a good step on the part of RA to ensure that only adults are getting their products.

So overall, very happy with the service from RA, highly recommend them.

Packaging

The revolver comes from ASG packaged in a standard container, being styrofoam with a cardboard top. It did a good job of ensuring that all items within were well protected, but you're going to throw it out the moment you take the revolver out of it.

Inside you'll find the revolver, a container of 100 ASG branded 0.2g BBs, a weaver rail mount, a speed loader and six (6) fake .357 rounds made of brass and plastic that you load a single BB into.

Build Quality

Holy cow! This revolver is built like a brick sh!t house. It's all metal construction except for the grip; nice and heavy with good balance. This being the 6" model it is just right, the 8" model would be too front heavy IMHO.

The grips are made of a rubberised plastic with inset Dan Wesson medallions. The grip slides apart and holds a 12oz co2 cartridge inside IOT power the revolver. There is enough friction to hold the grip together, but not so much to make it difficult to pull the grip apart when you need to change out c02 cartridges. The finish on the metal components is top shelf - not quite a "chromed" finish, more like polished stainless steel. The finish is very even over the whole revolver, not blotches and uneven spots like many airsoft manufacturers are prone to having on similar products.

The cylinder is made of a solid machine hunk of metal, and this is obvious in the finish as slight machining marks from a CnC bit can be seen but they are consistent and give the cylinder more of a "brushed metal" finish than detracting from the look of the revolver. The barrel is pinned into the frame of the revolver with two rolled steel pins, and there is zero wobble - you can literally pick this piece up by any part and use it to beat people with if you run out of ammo*.

(*Note, reviewer does not condone the beating of fellow players with any weapon, comment intended in a light hearted manner)

Function

This revolver can be operated in single action or double action, and cocking back the hammer cycles a fresh round in a smooth manner. However the trigger pull on this piece is a little on the heavy side - although the break is crisp and not vague.

Reloading is accomplished by inserting BBs into the fake rounds, then loading those into the cylinder of the revolver. I find this to be one of the big reasons to purchase this over other revolvers like the TM or Tanaka line that have fake rounds built into the cylinder, with BBs being loaded directly into the cylinder. Getting to put rounds in one at a time should make for some tense moments on the field for sure. At the same time, the co2 cartridge give approx 100 shots, so you won't have to change that out too often, essentially meaning that this revolver is one of the most realistic avail in the Canadian market from a function standpoint.

One thing that can't be done with this revolver, is the "flick the cylinder back into the frame" move. Because the inner barrel is a floating design that is spring loaded to push against the cylinder in order to ensure a tight air seal, you must press the cylinder slightly back as you push it back into the frame. Not a deal breaker, but I will be taking this apart to see if weakening the spring a bit will allow me to flick the cylinder closed.

Velocity and Hopup

This revolver is clocking in just under 500fps with 0.2g BBs. While obviously WAY too hot for field play, have no fear there is a solution. A simple modification to the hammer spring can lower the velocity of rounds down to game legal levels. Here is the guide to this modification;

http://airsoft.web-rocks.co.uk/dan-w...r-fps-mod-co2/

As well, this revolver does not have hopup, but there is a simple mod to install a shortened AEG barrel and hopup IOT essentially make this the best airsoft revolver ever. Info is here;

http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...xed-Hop-up-mod

Performance and Accuracy

After fielding this revolver @ OP: DEAD BY DAWN I can't say enough good things about it. Truly the first pistol type airsoft weapon I've used that you can just point at something and it dies, the first time; super accurate. Standard engagement ranges up to 30 meters were no problem for this revolver, and the satisfying *crack* that comes out of the business end is a sure fire crowd pleaser. Now that I've cycled about 150 rounds through it, the various bits are buttery smooth WRT cycling the cylinder and firing a round in double action is nice and smooth with a crisp break on the trigger, whereas out of the box it was stiff and sort of vague.

Here is a test grouping of six rounds; pretty tight considering it's shot from 30 ft.

Conclusion

I will write a conclusion and score this revolver once I have evaluated it's performance on the field.

Last edited by Kokanee; July 4th, 2012 at 13:26..
Kokanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2012, 14:10   #2
daishi

Send a message via MSN to daishi
I own a Dan Wesson as well. Overall this is a good review. If I may ill add a few things to this.

Since you bought the silver, it may not effect you, but the paint job on the guns is great, but after only a few field uses the paint on the magazine has begun to flake off in large chunks. As well, the arm holding the magazine in has ceased to be useful and it no longer holds the magazine in place while reloading so I have to hold it. On more then one occasion I pop'd it open and the magazine would take the whole assembly and hit the dirt >.>

I noticed you said it cant be flicked? For w/e reason I could always flick mine in and out...it takes a bit of a forceful flick but not damaging. Maybe mine wasn't quality controlled enough

The guide you posted for modding the c02 pistol is fine. You can instead just go to Canadian tire and buy three nuts and a washer for less then 2 dollars and install them in about 2 minutes and be firing at cqb legal limits. Just another modification that isn't a permanent fix so you can increase or decrease the fps at anytime depending on the field you are at.

The gun itself isn't that accurate. At 25 - 30 feet you may hit a pop can.

Overall I use this revolver since I (had) a AEG with 160 round midcaps. I hardly ever used the revolver, and it was mostly just for looks, since it is a gorgeous gun. And for 169 bucks (I paid $220) that's a good gun to have...If you have a reliable primary.

Its got a nice loud bang, and hell you can mount optics on it!

P.S This a joke, I would never mount optics on the revolver for game purposes.

Overall I like this revolver, but it definitely isn't a sniper or marksman side arm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latvian291 View Post
This is one of the funniest things I've read.
Commandment 1 of LMGesus: Fuck getting kills. That's the job of your teammates, otherwise known as the cannon fodder. Your job is to be scary.
daishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2012, 14:22   #3
e-luder

very good review.

though i am curious about the weight distribution on this revolver. i own the police carry where the muzzle is shorter than this one so the distribution of weight is centered. i wonder if the back end is more significantly weight on this one or does the longer muzzle it balance it out?
Old June 10th, 2012, 15:26   #4
daishi

The six inch model is slightly front heavy, even with a c02 cartridge in it. Its not that bad tho.
Quote:
Commandment 1 of LMGesus: Fuck getting kills. That's the job of your teammates, otherwise known as the cannon fodder. Your job is to be scary.
Old June 10th, 2012, 16:15   #5
Gato
ASC's Whiny Bitch

If these are anything like real swing out cylinder revolvers, the crane (or yoke) that connects the cylinder to the frame is actually pretty delicate. Flicking the cylinder open or shut stresses it in ways that can warp it, causing misalignment of the cylinder to the frame.

On a real one, once the crane is out of alignment it will need to be repaired by a gunsmith.

For an airsoft gun, you'd probably have to scrap it and buy a new one.

In general, I would not suggest operating firearms or airsoft guns in a manner other than the intended and proper manners.

As for the review itself, I'd been wondering about these, good stuff.
Certified Level 3.1415926 Sniper Certified
Certified Level 3.1415926 Orbital Weapons platform Certified
Gato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2012, 12:00   #6
Enjoi

Thanks for the Review, I was wondering about one of these.
Old June 16th, 2012, 12:53   #7
Kokanee
Ministry of Peace

Just picked up a 9v battery for my chrony, this revolver clocked in with the following numbers;

Results in FPS w/ supplied 0.2g BBs;

Shot 01: 492
Shot 02: 487
Shot 03: 485
Shot 04: 475
Shot 05: 487
Shot 06: 491

Pretty consistent, this is my first co2 airsoft anything, so I'm not sure if this is to be expected from a co2 pistol/revolver, or if this is because of the great airseal with the barrel being spring loaded in relation to the cylinder.

Obviously wayyyy too hot, will be modding this to reduce the velocity and will post numbers when I do.

Also emptied the rest of the co2 cartridge, there was enough gas for over 100 shots, checked velocity at 60 and I got 470fps, so actually pretty impressive gas consumption.
Old June 17th, 2012, 10:52   #8
zapper

Thanks for this report- hope you will advise on accuracy at various distances
when you can.
zapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2012, 14:58   #9
Xedilian

Kokanee, I just wanted to add my contribution to this thread.
I've got a method to make the FPS on your revolver adjustable.
Here click me click me!

Very nice review. I myself have the WG 703 8", and love each and every minute of it. The only thing I have to say are those damn push pins are a bitch to get out to put the rails on.

The "flicking" thing sure isn't going to warp the cylinder that goes into the frame to keep it on par with the rest of the gun, it's about 1/4" solid steel :P
But it could have effects on the smaller stuff near the co2 entrance.

Don't know why that one seems to get only 100 shots with it. Pretty sure I can go for 200 easy with my WG.
But they're basically the same thing, no?

GIT GUD OR STAY PLEB

Last edited by Xedilian; June 17th, 2012 at 15:07..
Xedilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2012, 15:14   #10
Kokanee
Ministry of Peace

Its not that it ''only'' gets 100 shots, it gets ''at least'' 100. I got bored after that. Will check out the link thanks
Old June 17th, 2012, 19:54   #11
Kokanee
Ministry of Peace

I was able to mod the resistance on the hammer spring and now the revolver is clocking in at about 380fps.
Old June 18th, 2012, 09:31   #12
daishi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xedilian View Post
Info
That is NOT for a dan wesson. That mod is interesting to read, but not for the same gun.

What I did to get my revolver down was to simply replace the metal box in the handle that was supporting the hammer spring arm. Just swapped it out and replaced it with three bolts I bought from Canadian Tire and it shoots consistently at 310 fps with .2's. Adding a washer increases the fps to 355fps so it was over the 350 limit.

This way it is not a permanent no going back mod...at anytime I can stick a washer or two in the handle and go out to a outdoor game with a 400-450 fps revolver, then remove em and go play cqb!
Quote:
Old June 18th, 2012, 11:24   #13
Kokanee
Ministry of Peace

Indeed daishi, I did the same thing and it worked like a charm.
Old June 18th, 2012, 15:21   #14
Xedilian

Quote:
Originally Posted by daishi View Post
What he said
I'm pretty sure that Dan Wesson is simply a rebranded WinGun revolver. As i've said in the turotial, it's all the basic same insides in it. The same thing will work for both.
You can do the same thing i've done with my metal box, but replace it with a cylinder that you can screw up and down, therefore making it not permanent. I think I covered that in my turotial :P

Your mod was a good idea though :P

GIT GUD OR STAY PLEB
Xedilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2012, 16:20   #15
Kokanee
Ministry of Peace

Ladies ladies, please - both ways work, surely there is enough modding goodness to go around?!?
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Reviews