Airsoft Canada
https://blackblitzairsoft.myshopify.com/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Accessories Discussion
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Do realsteel magpul RANGER plates work for airsoft?

:

Accessories Discussion

Old April 15th, 2010, 21:43   #1
jamesb

Do realsteel magpul RANGER plates work for airsoft?

looking to buy some ranger plates for my metal MAG brand M4 midcaps, but never know if im looking at real, or airsoft plates-is there a difference?
jamesb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2010, 22:48   #2
mcguyver

Real ones will work on PTW mags, and perhaps some GBBR mags (I haven't done any of those).

PTS plates are made for AEG mags.

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep discussing what's for dinner.

Freedom is the wolves limping away while the sheep reloads.

Never confuse freedom with democracy.
mcguyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2010, 23:01   #3
coach
aka coachster

real ones will not work on mid cap mags that require you to screw the floor plate to the internals.

if you have a screw on the bottom of your mag, unscrew it and if your internals slide out, it won't work.

the airsoft version have a plug in the rubber that comes out so you can install the screw. it also has that unsightly gap for a high cap wheel.
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 00:25   #4
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesb View Post
looking to buy some ranger plates for my metal MAG brand M4 midcaps, but never know if im looking at real, or airsoft plates-is there a difference?
The hell yes they freaking work on AEG mags!
I use king arms lowcaps and real steel ranger plates. You may hear some people say it won't work because there's nothing to lock them on there.
1) The real steel ranger plates are 2 parts; a locking plate and the ranger plate, the locking plate doesn't fit on AEG mags
2) You don't need the locking plate, I can't get my ranger plates off my mags with 40lbs of force, they're not going anywhere
3) I managed to just slide mine on and they were on there good, buddy of mine did the same thing but they were all loose. Once you slide your ranger plate on there, hammer down the 4 pins on the mag to lock it down.

Don't know if the real steel ones were cheaper, I never looked at airsoft ones, but I paid 24$ for 5 plates plus shipping
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 03:32   #5
jamesb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderCactus View Post
The hell yes they freaking work on AEG mags!
I use king arms lowcaps and real steel ranger plates. You may hear some people say it won't work because there's nothing to lock them on there.
1) The real steel ranger plates are 2 parts; a locking plate and the ranger plate, the locking plate doesn't fit on AEG mags
2) You don't need the locking plate, I can't get my ranger plates off my mags with 40lbs of force, they're not going anywhere
3) I managed to just slide mine on and they were on there good, buddy of mine did the same thing but they were all loose. Once you slide your ranger plate on there, hammer down the 4 pins on the mag to lock it down.

Don't know if the real steel ones were cheaper, I never looked at airsoft ones, but I paid 24$ for 5 plates plus shipping
thnks for the info, where did you get that whale of a deal? Are they real magpul ones?
jamesb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 11:17   #6
ThunderCactus

Some ebay retailer, can't recall who
Old April 16th, 2010, 11:27   #7
Oborous

+1 for real steel ranger plates being cheaper than PTS ones. Brownells is good for this, if you have an account with them.

Also, Azathoth has moved at least seven mags to use the real steel Ranger Plates (non-PMAG), since I sat there while he did the conversions. I run PMAGS (120Rd PTS, KA High Cap, and STAR Low Cap, all accept real steel PMAG Ranger Plates) so can't comment on long term reliability.
Oborous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2012, 01:27   #8
Trekkie420

Reviving a dead thread.

Does anyone know what the floorplate options are for GBBR magazines, specifically the WE M4 mags.
Old December 11th, 2012, 08:21   #9
redzaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekkie420 View Post
Reviving a dead thread.

Does anyone know what the floorplate options are for GBBR magazines, specifically the WE M4 mags.
i don't think you can, because to fill it, the fill valve is at the bottom and to put a ranger floor plate would obstruct the fill valve rendering it useless, so only what is get the magpul sleeves
За Родину!
BRRRRRT!
redzaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2012, 08:32   #10
SINN

Send a message via MSN to SINN
you can use ranger plates, but you have to drill a hole for the fill valve to fit. I know the ones Huang sells work good for this option.
Old December 11th, 2012, 08:32   #11
m102404
Tys

I put them on my WE M4 mags. They needed a bit of fitting (filing the plastic plate just a bit so there'd be enough room to slide the plate on). The rubber ones I got from Airsoftparts.ca didn't have a hole in them so I could use the AI gas adaptor with the duster extension to fill my mags. I used a 1/4" drill bit and drilled through the rubber plate, the metal underlying plate and the plastic insert. Works just fine.

* note: the ones on the site now seem to have the hole pre-drilled http://www.airsoftparts.ca/store2/in...oducts_id=1868

I did need to bend/nudge the baseplate tabs of the mag up a bit to get everything in...then bend them back down afterwards. Just a bit, nothing major.

A buddy mine has hard plastic ranger plates on his...I think they came with the hole in them (note...see Sinn's post, I guess they don't). I'm pretty sure they were "clone" ones from somewhere.

So the answer is yes...if they fit and come with the hole you're all set. If the hole isn't there...just measure up where it should be and drill one.
m102404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2012, 08:34   #12
McCrea
a.k.a. Morgothor
représentant officiel de
     WW2Quebec

Yeah it would work, just do a hole in the plate and you can refill your mags without breaking the plate or having to remove it each time...

FAQC.CA - WW2QUEBEC.ORG
McCrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2012, 17:30   #13
Trekkie420

Thanks for the quick replies.

Looks like I'll be ordering some Rangerplates soon.

I run CO2 so having the (non-existent) fill valve accessible isn't a big issue for me. I'll just have to pull the plates off in-between matches. Is removing/replacing them much of a hassle?

I'll come back here and post photo's of issues/mods once they arrive.

Last edited by Trekkie420; December 11th, 2012 at 17:38.. Reason: added more funk.
Trekkie420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2012, 18:17   #14
ThunderCactus

it's a ridiculous hassle, as once they are on the mag, they're not meant to come off.
If you install them loose, they'll fall off for sure
Old December 11th, 2012, 18:35   #15
Trekkie420

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderCactus View Post
it's a ridiculous hassle, as once they are on the mag, they're not meant to come off.
If you install them loose, they'll fall off for sure
I was worried about this; I may have to toss some original Magpuls (sleeves) on the bottom and use them as cheap plates.

If anyone is aware of other options, please share.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Accessories Discussion