Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Reviews
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

WE AK-74U - was good, now bad

:

Reviews

Old March 21st, 2012, 01:00   #166
Rommen

I agree the wood grip looks terrible (get a bakelite one), but other than that I like the look its got
Rommen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 06:29   #167
N_Force

i don't care it looks realistic or not as long as I like this terrible look. Cause it is AS, it's toy, personal toy collection. Haha. lol...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latvian291 View Post
ohh I like the polished bolt-nice!
AK-74Us never had wooden grips, polished bolts, and used 74 mags not 47 mags. Did you try to make it look unrealistic on purpose?[/QUOTE]

Last edited by N_Force; March 21st, 2012 at 08:32..
N_Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 10:07   #168
jamex

Anyone else notice some wobble on the recoil spring assembly? Where the spring guide meets the bolt cover release? It has a bit of "give" which causes the spring guide to buckle upwards a bit and prevents smooth gliding of the cover release. I've watched a few videos of reviews and noticed the same thing where they had to push down where the spring guide meets the release and it pops right into place.

Not sure if its effecting the bolt travel much, as its only a very slight incline upwards, but I'm thinking of shimming it on one side as it can impact the release's return, and thus the cover locking ability until its moved into place again.
jamex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 13:52   #169
ViR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamex View Post
Anyone else notice some wobble on the recoil spring assembly? Where the spring guide meets the bolt cover release? It has a bit of "give" which causes the spring guide to buckle upwards a bit and prevents smooth gliding of the cover release. I've watched a few videos of reviews and noticed the same thing where they had to push down where the spring guide meets the release and it pops right into place.

Not sure if its effecting the bolt travel much, as its only a very slight incline upwards, but I'm thinking of shimming it on one side as it can impact the release's return, and thus the cover locking ability until its moved into place again.
Yes, seems like a design flaw.. I cant even push the button in place, have to cock the gun for it to lock bolt cover..
ViR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 21:20   #170
N_Force

• yes, that is a problem. I've found out that when the bolt travelling back close to the end and I can see the returning spring is tilting up and down a bit, and the top cover can't be closed easily, have to push it and force it to close. I didn't like it and it's not parallel with the bolt, that could create higher impact and get more wear on the bolt too. even when I shoot in auto, almost every 5 shots and having one to two weak shots, so strange. then I shim a small piece of paper and hold it in place(tilt down a bit), everything are working perfectly......spring rod parallel with the bolt and moving freely, cover is closed easily, full auto is so smooth now.

Quote:

Last edited by N_Force; March 21st, 2012 at 23:29..
Old March 21st, 2012, 23:30   #171
jamex

Quote:
Originally Posted by N_Force View Post
  • yes, that is a problem. I've found out that when the bolt travelling back close to the end and I can see the returning spring is tilting up and down a bit, and the top cover can't be closed easily, have to push it and force it to close. I didn't like it and it's not parallel with the bolt, that could create higher impact and get more wear on the bolt too. even when I shoot in auto, almost every 5 shots and having one to two weak shots, so strange. then I shim a small piece of paper and hold it in place(tilt down a bit), everything are working perfectly......spring rod parallel with the bolt and moving freely, cover is closed easily, full auto is so smooth now.
So you shim the paper in between the spring rod and the latch like I was thinking? Or did you put it somewhere else? See below (borrowed pic from Rommen)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ak74_recoil_spring.jpg (44.6 KB, 19 views)
jamex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2012, 08:32   #172
N_Force

Quote:
So you shim the paper in between the spring rod and the latch like I was thinking? Or did you put it somewhere else? See below (borrowed pic from Rommen)
l shim it below. As long as it straight when the bolt travelling back.

Last edited by N_Force; March 22nd, 2012 at 08:35..
Old March 22nd, 2012, 17:57   #173
BlackBerry

Hey guys, how much of the nozzle did you all shave off when installing the NPAS?

I shaved off as much as I removed when I cut the two tabs off, but for some reason I can't get it to shoot under 350 with .25's.

It's constantly hitting an average of about 370fps with closed up NPAS and average 400fps with slightly opened up NPAS.
BlackBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2012, 08:24   #174
N_Force

I haven't tried to install it yet but this may help you to understand how it works and adjust your modify.
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=I93HqminCF0
Look for : ra tech how the npas works

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBerry View Post
Hey guys, how much of the nozzle did you all shave off when installing the NPAS?

I shaved off as much as I removed when I cut the two tabs off, but for some reason I can't get it to shoot under 350 with .25's.

It's constantly hitting an average of about 370fps with closed up NPAS and average 400fps with slightly opened up NPAS.

Last edited by N_Force; March 23rd, 2012 at 08:38..
Old March 23rd, 2012, 09:18   #175
TPM001

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBerry View Post

It should be the opposite. You should actually get lower FPS as the NPAS is opened up (i.e. made longer). It sounds like your nozzle was modded properly (can you provide a pic?). I can't imagine not being able to get below 370 with the NPAS in its maximum opened position (max length) because most of the gas flow would be diverted. Are you sure you turned it all the way? Some of my NPAS units are stiff to turn so sometimes you have to adjust with a bit of force (and lubrication).
TPM001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2012, 15:17   #176
BlackBerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPM001 View Post
It should be the opposite. You should actually get lower FPS as the NPAS is opened up (i.e. made longer). It sounds like your nozzle was modded properly (can you provide a pic?). I can't imagine not being able to get below 370 with the NPAS in its maximum opened position (max length) because most of the gas flow would be diverted. Are you sure you turned it all the way? Some of my NPAS units are stiff to turn so sometimes you have to adjust with a bit of force (and lubrication).
Yeah, I'll post up some pictures later tonight. I think I have to shave off a little more and after viewing N_Force's video, I don't think my NPAS was fully opened up. The thing was pretty stiff to turn so I was scared to snap it!

**Edit**
Before:

After:

Got it working--thanks guys!

Last edited by BlackBerry; March 26th, 2012 at 13:13..
Old March 23rd, 2012, 18:19   #177
N_Force

Before you move on, one thing you can try is, to tighten the gas release valve in 1/4 or a bit more if possible. But don't try to over tight it. Let's see if it help to reduce the speed a bit to meet what you need.
Regarding the npas, if it is too tight to turn, don't force it, you may damage it. Good luck.

Old April 9th, 2012, 18:33   #178
mr_nuts31

is it just me or does anybody else had their WE AK short stroke on them to the point that it barely or doesn't push the bolt back to engage the hammer? The weird thing about it is that it works fine when it is held upside down to fire
mr_nuts31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2012, 18:36   #179
MilanWG
Perroz Designs

Any thoughts on this?

RA-TECH HOW TO INCREASE WE AK RECOIL POWER.mpg - YouTube
Old April 9th, 2012, 22:13   #180
BlackBerry

umm..Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the dynamic cylinder on the new rod translate to increased rate of fire? If so, that would be awesome!
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Reviews