66BEAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2011, 16:35   #3
-Skeletor-
ESS Profile goggles
Old April 18th, 2011, 16:38   #4
danteh
AV Suspended pending sales dispute

Wow thanks alot for the quick reply

Would those be good for when events say PB goggles only? Or do they need to be full face? Or is it case by case?

Last edited by danteh; April 18th, 2011 at 16:43..
danteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2011, 16:46   #5
L473ncy

PB goggles are a totally different thing.

They fall under ASTM certification.

ESS on the other hand, although probably could get ASTM certification don't have it. They instead follow some Milspec standard. I'll try to see what the exact standard is.

Also, ANSI Z87 is NOT equal to the ASTM rating for PB goggles. PB goggles are supposed to be designed to withstand up to an 11 Joule or more strike, while Z87 is much less (I've done the math and it's something like withstanding at minimum a 6 Joule strike).

Even if you had the milspec goggles (which can stand up to a 50 cal or whatever) it's still not ASTM standard and if the PB fields insurance company found out they may choose to not renew their insurance coverage and/or make them pay a higher premium (and are fully within their right to deny any insurance claims because there is a "culture of non compliance" or something like that).

PS: If an event is goggles only then that usually means you can detach the mask part but you should probably keep it in the car just incase there's a mixup and crossed communications or something like that.
Old April 18th, 2011, 16:57   #6
danteh

Hrmm that really sucks cause I would love to have used those in the field
Old April 18th, 2011, 17:16   #7
Danke

Don't play on paintball fields then.

No but seriously ESS builds an airsoft goggle, there are tons of folks using them but for certain locations the field insurance will only cover the PB type as that is all that has been vetted as per their company bible.

You can argue till you're blue in the face with the insurance company but they will not accept a goggle rated to XX standard as an equal to a paintball goggle with the same rating. If it's not on the list you don't get in the door.

Being the way insurance companies work and share info maybe at some point in the distant future with the increased popularity of airsoft in the USA the carriers will pickup on ESS goggles as being OK for this and then you'll be golden.

In the meantime a field owner isn't going to risk having his coverage yanked to let the player have more choices in eye pro. Not being in Ontario I can't comment if this is limited to certain fields or if it's a province wide regulation.

It's a shame, I use the fan version of the profiles myself and like the shallow frame so I can get my eye closer to an optic.
Old April 18th, 2011, 17:20   #8
danteh

Oh I can definatly understand the field owners POV and I wouldnt argue with them about it, im just saying it sucks.

And I must have been thoroughly misinformed by someone because they told me all out door games require paintball goggles and after looking at some of the upcomming games plus some of the ones passed only 2 needed paintball goggles. So I guess I can still wear them. Sorry for that

Last edited by danteh; April 18th, 2011 at 17:24..
Old April 25th, 2011, 10:01   #9
yourself

ASTM certification doesn't make any sense. A goggle made to protect the eyes from an IED blast is said to be not suitable for paintball. Paintball is so dumb and all the refs are stoners.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion