Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Reccomend me a Ghillie suit

:

Gear Discussion

Old April 26th, 2010, 01:10   #16
Steven

I made mine for around 40$ with the Help of Stalker and Fox.

I must admit, theres nothing better than standing back after your done, and seeing your work. And if done correctly, i would have to say that homemade ghillies would beat the Walmart, hunting kits anyday.
Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2010, 01:32   #17
Eldin

I found myself a brown flat cap (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_cap) and I've started to make it part of my ghillie project

Will post pics when done with the hat.
I'll also post pics when done with ghillie, I got a good amount of work done on it today.
Eldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2010, 01:34   #18
The Acer

Send a message via MSN to The Acer
Quote:
Originally Posted by PARKINGLOT View Post
or there's a site I was looking at before that had great kits for like $60-70 bucks....
Link Please
The Acer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2010, 03:58   #19
VooDooPeteK

when I was at Canadian Tire this weekend I did see a backpack thing that would fold over you when unhooked to provide a ghille cape type thing.

I looked on the website but couldn't find it but in store it was in the hunting section and was $49.99 or $59.99

Didn't look that bad for the price
VooDooPeteK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2010, 07:38   #20
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Send a message via MSN to CDN_Stalker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldin View Post
I found myself a brown flat cap (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_cap) and I've started to make it part of my ghillie project

Will post pics when done with the hat.
I'll also post pics when done with ghillie, I got a good amount of work done on it today.
You'll boil your head with that thing on. I have a cheap boonie for my ghillie, I actually had to cut the top out on it to ventilate it was so bad.

Another thing, if you are going for a hood, build it with a camo cloth bandana to cover your neck. Nothing worse than having little hairs of burlap fall onto your hot sweaty neck and drive you nuts all day long.
CDN_Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2010, 11:28   #21
PARKINGLOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Acer View Post
Link Please
http://www.ghilliesuitclothing.com/c...Kit-Materials/
PARKINGLOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2010, 11:47   #22
Twin#1[Op-for]

I would never buy a pre-made ghillie. The poster Steven, ^^^^, is my brother and I watched/ helped him build his own. It is much easier to be able to die the burlap the color you want, use the materials you want that match your environment the best. It's also pretty fun, and quite an accomplishment when it's done! Overall, it only took a week or two with both of us working on it every day. I would help him for about an hour, while he would do it for around 2-3. It's really not THAT hard.
Twin#1[Op-for] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2010, 13:11   #23
MilanWG
Perroz Designs

A tip regarding shoe-goo, use it outdoors or in a very well ventilated area. The stuff REEKS! Also, I highly recommend wearing latex gloves when applying shoe-goo because when it dries, its like another layer of skin on your hands and you will be peeling the stuff off all day. Also buy more shoe-goo than you think you need, its cheap and you tend to use a lot when building a ghillie, especially when applying and sealing your front patches.

Also want to get some non-gloss Krylon hunting camo paint to spray over the shoe-goo once it has dried because shoe-goo is very glossy/shiny and you don't want the sun to reflect off of a spot of exposed shoe-goo.
Old April 26th, 2010, 17:15   #24
Eldin

Thanks for all the tips guys!
Eldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2010, 17:22   #25
krap101

If you're still looking to buy one, note that a "kit" means they give you the yarn/string/burlap and you build it yourself.
krap101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2010, 19:00   #26
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by TALIBANMILAN View Post
A tip regarding shoe-goo, use it outdoors or in a very well ventilated area. The stuff REEKS! Also, I highly recommend wearing latex gloves when applying shoe-goo because when it dries, its like another layer of skin on your hands and you will be peeling the stuff off all day. Also buy more shoe-goo than you think you need, its cheap and you tend to use a lot when building a ghillie, especially when applying and sealing your front patches.

Also want to get some non-gloss Krylon hunting camo paint to spray over the shoe-goo once it has dried because shoe-goo is very glossy/shiny and you don't want the sun to reflect off of a spot of exposed shoe-goo.
I've done that too, even just a paint over with some drab model paint, but while it's shiny, it's very unlikely it'll reflect sunlight well enough to travel much past a couple feet, I'd call it more of a dull sheen you get. As long as it's covered it should be fine, and no one has seen me and said they saw a glint of sunlight off my ghillie. BTW, it's a black gloss when it's dry (to the inexperienced).

And yes, if you think one tube will do you, buy two (I know, they are $7 apiece) because likley you'll go through one and a half tubes of it, and it sucks to get on a roll after finding the time to work on your ghillie and looking forward to starting to add burlap, only to find out your netting can't be completely goo'd on because you ran out, and the stores are closed. Hehe, and yes, it's useful to have after if you need to make some adjustments of found you you didn't apply close enough (I recommend maybe every 4-6" apart). Some areas (such as edges, I suggest goo every 3" or so) you'll find will need touch ups because of flopping around or whatever, so having extra goo left over is handy.
Old April 28th, 2010, 14:44   #27
VooDooPeteK

Also this suit works well for the $70 they have them for at walmart. And you can always add onto it later if you want.

Its not as good as making your own but works well for the player in the picture and good to go out of the package
Old April 28th, 2010, 15:02   #28
krap101

Imo, it's not baggy enough. The shape is obviously humanoidish, and the point of a ghilli suit is to make a person seem more blobish.
krap101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2010, 20:38   #29
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDooPeteK View Post
Also this suit works well for the $70 they have them for at walmart. And you can always add onto it later if you want.

Its not as good as making your own but works well for the player in the picture and good to go out of the package
That'd work perfectly in a sci-fi airsoft version of District 9. Lol

Old April 29th, 2010, 03:50   #30
VooDooPeteK

well that picture was taken in our "Tac Town" area for more CQB, but it works well when he is trying to hide.

I am just saying on a budget it gets the job done and its a base to build on as well
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion