Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Spring VS gas

:

Airsoft Guns Discussion

Old May 10th, 2010, 01:33   #1
Nemississ

Spring VS gas

I have searched all the topics i can on this subject and really i read ALOT of opinion and personal preference about this topic when it comes to airsoft guns and long guns in particular.

Now what i have understood

SPRING
-Less powerful stock
-More powerful upgraded
-More consistent
-Stiffer bolt (slower re-fire rates)
-Easier to upgrade (A MUST)
-Can be used in all weather

GAS
-More powerful stock
-Expensive and harder to upgrade (STILL A MUST)
-Less consistency (shooting hot on a warm day lower pressure on a cold one)
-Smoother faster bolt
-Hard to game in winter

Now being fairly new at this im sure there is TONS of stuff im missing here but just covering the basics please feel free to add.

If possible i would like to hear peoples opinions and WHY they thing either is better or worse or problems either needs to overcome to be used effectively and or what bricks walls either runs into.

My currently issue is i want an m24 (adjustable stock and such) only one i can find is a tanaka m24 (Gas which i originally wanted) which are insane hard to find and if i can in the classifieds once AV'd expensive as hell. so short of that i can suck it up and get a KJW m700 next best thing OR i can go for a spring and get a CA M24 which after doing much research i find is aparantly just as good as if not better upgraded and more versitile.

As a side note yes im new yes i kno i should get an AEG (i will, so i can at least match tards running around with pistols+highcaps+tendancy to hold trigger till mag is empty.) Also i kno that airsoft long guns do not act the same as real ones but that means little as 80% of sniping is camouflage and remaining unseen.
Nemississ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2010, 01:59   #2
The Acer

Send a message via MSN to The Acer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemississ View Post

SPRING
-Less powerful stock
-More powerful upgraded
-More consistent
-Stiffer bolt (slower re-fire rates)
-Easier to upgrade (A MUST)
-Can be used in all weather

GAS
-More powerful stock
-Expensive and harder to upgrade (STILL A MUST)
-Less consistency (shooting hot on a warm day lower pressure on a cold one)
-Smoother faster bolt
-Hard to game in winter
Why do you think that it is more difficult and more expensive to upgrade a gas sniper? I would disagree with that if anything.

With a spring sniper, you have a lot of internals to upgrade, seems like everything is replaced.

Gas sniper, The only upgrade you can do, (that would be worth while) is upgrade the barrel, and convert it for external air. To do that, you drill a hole in the mag, tap it, and put a QD 1/8" coupling. A lot easier than ripping out internals

If you were to go with an external air rig, this makes the gun shoot a lot more consistant, and winter use-able but you have to carry around an air rig.

My KJ M700 upgraded with external air, with the pressure up to 150, I can make it shoot over the 5.7J into a legal firearm.... I dont think a spring sniper can do that, So I would think that classifies more powerful upgraded.
The Acer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2010, 02:28   #3
tunabreath

I dunno, there are a couple of recommended internal upgrades for gas rifles too. In my Tanaka M40, I have an aluminum hub, upgraded firing pin spring, a VSR hop up kit, and a steel mag knocker, in addition to the external (12g CO2) rig. The CO2 is bolted to the side of my scope, so I can drop the rifle and run without being tethered to it. These were all 'necessary' upgrades, and comparably expensive/time consuming to what my friend had to do to his VSR. The M40 is shooting 504 +/- 4, pretty damn consistent for a gas rifle, and in any weather/temperature.

As a lefty, the zero resistance bolt action was a must for me. It's very difficult to charge a VSR with a heavy spring left handed compared to my M40.
Old May 10th, 2010, 03:44   #4
Amos

Spring all the way... You can't compete with the consistency of spring without having a crazy external air rig.
G3SD6
Amos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2010, 07:27   #5
AngelusNex
formerly Sepulcrum

Send a message via MSN to AngelusNex
if nothing else, gas feels empty and broken when you rack the very light bolt, Spring aren't very hard at all to rack the bolt but have enough resistance that it doesn't feel like you just broke it every time.

Springs are just awesome useful too. less likely to fail (random gas venting and the like).
AngelusNex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2010, 07:31   #6
Nemississ

I definatly do NOT want to go over to using an external air rig i want milsim not paintball
Old May 10th, 2010, 07:38   #7
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Send a message via MSN to CDN_Stalker
I'll have to change what you said about gas, hard to use on cooler days (like +10C), and impossible to use in winter. Go with spring, I have both gas (KJW M700) and spring (CA M24) and I only use my M24 all the time just because I can count on it 100%.
CDN_Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2010, 08:20   #8
coach
aka coachster

spring 100%. gas consistency changes not only from hot and cold days but from shot to shot.
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2010, 10:34   #9
Nemississ

Right I realize firing too fast can lower pressure aswell so really it seems that. Can either go for the realism of gas but not use gas and go air which is not realistic at all or just go spring which is better then playing paintball with bbs
Old May 10th, 2010, 10:43   #10
TokyoSeven
Red Wine & Adderall

Quote:
Can either go for the realism of gas but not use gas and go air which is not realistic at all or just go spring which is better then playing paintball with bbs
Maybe its early but I found that extremely hard to follow.

The realism with use of gas(propane or c02) only extends as far as GBBRs and GBBs. I don't think gas operated bolt actions are any more or less "realistic" than spring operated bolt actions.

"Its only a little bit on fire"
TokyoSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2010, 10:54   #11
Nemississ

Sweet so ca m24 it is unless anyone has a really good reason I should go gas also anyone with a ca m24 that's willing to help me work out the upgrades I need http://www.airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=103872 also dumb question but would the ca m24 make that really loud spring clunk some spring guns make or is it silent
Old May 10th, 2010, 11:09   #12
coach
aka coachster

that clunk isn't the spring. it is the piston head slamming into the cylinder head. unavoidable but can be reduced with a sorbo pad
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2010, 12:28   #13
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Send a message via MSN to CDN_Stalker
The CA M24 by construction is very quiet when shot. It has a heavy pot metal outer barrel/receiver (in most places, as thick as 3/16"), and the stock is heavy solid composite material. I'm so used to mine that when others have tried it out and I'm standing a few feet away, a couple times I've thought it broke because I barely heard it shoot, it was that quiet. No need for any sorbo pad or anything like that, the nozzle has a thick O-ring on it and the pistons I use have replacable rubber piston heads. So nutshell, you'll barely hear the gun (with just about any upgrade) being shot within 10ft.
CDN_Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2010, 14:44   #14
tunabreath

Quote:
I definatly do NOT want to go over to using an external air rig i want milsim not paintball
Haha, hey, it's not that bad - at the last game I was at, another player mistook my CO2 rig for an IR illuminator/designator, the way it looks and is arranged at the side of my scope (and the fact that I use nightvision). It would be very easy to dress it up to look as such.
Old May 10th, 2010, 20:07   #15
The Acer

Send a message via MSN to The Acer
Quote:
Its not as bad as you think. you just run your air line with your sling, and put the air tank in your hydration pack.
Thats how you keep it concealed.
The Acer is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion