Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

GBBR Reliable for Gaming

:

Airsoft Guns Discussion

Old December 14th, 2010, 10:44   #1
kalnaren

GBBR Reliable for Gaming

I've read a ton of the stuff on ASC about GBBR rifles, (specifically I'm looking to get a WE SCAR), but there doesn't seem to be an agreement on how reliable they are for actual gaming. I know there's a couple of people who mainly use their GBBR's, and others who will only use them for plinking around. I haven't seen many used on the field at all.

I know the limitations for them in cold weather, but for normal, summer outdoor play, are they worth owning at this point? Is the cost in maintenance/spare parts worth it to those of you who do use them?

Quote:
"Someone in a Prius tried to race me at a stop sign the other day. I couldn't believe it. I had him for the first 100 feet or so but I can only walk so fast."
kalnaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2010, 10:50   #2
Girock

Hello I havent play mine in a game yet !
But about spare parts I've found a place that they have pretty much all parts for WE not to expensible !
http://www.airsoftbuddy.com/

Level 14332623 Certified Killer
Girock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2010, 10:57   #3
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalnaren View Post
I've read a ton of the stuff on ASC about GBBR rifles, (specifically I'm looking to get a WE SCAR), but there doesn't seem to be an agreement on how reliable they are for actual gaming. I know there's a couple of people who mainly use their GBBR's, and others who will only use them for plinking around. I haven't seen many used on the field at all.

I know the limitations for them in cold weather, but for normal, summer outdoor play, are they worth owning at this point? Is the cost in maintenance/spare parts worth it to those of you who do use them?
I have Sold off all but 2 of my AEGs and I own now 7 GBBRs Everything that WE makes except the M14

They are my Primary guns, and I know of about 10 people who run GBBR as primary guns. It is not uncommon at TTAC3 for all the guns in use to be GBBRs, and at FTF this past season we had several games where more than half the guns on the field were GBBRs

My primary criteria for a gun.. "It shoots every time I pull the trigger"

and I have not been let down, I have run them Day, Night and in all weather without failure. Any and all stoppages I have had were either remedied within 2 minutes in the field ( under fire ) or were sorted out within 10 minutes after a withdraw from contact.

My general satisfaction with the game experience has magnified 10 fold with the advent of the GBBR
Toronto Downtown Age Verifier

OPERATION WOODSMAN

If the tongue could cut as the sword does, the dead would be infinite
Brian McIlmoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2010, 11:08   #4
kalnaren

Thanks for the info Brian, that's the kind of assessment I was looking for.

Quote:
"Someone in a Prius tried to race me at a stop sign the other day. I couldn't believe it. I had him for the first 100 feet or so but I can only walk so fast."
kalnaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2010, 15:21   #5
j3anius

I have a WE M4 and have been using that gun as my primary all season! No major problems so far. Had a few leaky magazines, but fixed them all up with the tutorial that's posted on here somewhere.
The realism of the GBBR just adds so much more excitement when playing a game.

Old December 14th, 2010, 15:28   #6
Cassius

Brian, I've had a VFC M4 gbbr for a little while but haven't had the occasion to field it yet. However I have a few questions; Is there a place or a thread that talks about the compatibility of parts?

For example I'd like to get a railed front end but I'm unsure what fits with what. Am I forced to go real steel or I can still go with airsoft parts?

Also, does any of you play with CO2 magazines? Are they good or propane mags will do just fine?

Thanks alot. I have an AEG and my GBBR and would sure love to switch and use the GBBR as my primary and the AEG as my backup. It's just that I'm not entirely familiar with the GBBRs yet...
Old December 14th, 2010, 15:32   #7
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassius View Post
Brian, I've had a VFC M4 gbbr for a little while but haven't had the occasion to field it yet. However I have a few questions; Is there a place or a thread that talks about the compatibility of parts?

For example I'd like to get a railed front end but I'm unsure what fits with what. Am I forced to go real steel or I can still go with airsoft parts?

Also, does any of you play with CO2 magazines? Are they good or propane mags will do just fine?

Thanks alot. I have an AEG and my GBBR and would sure love to switch and use the GBBR as my primary and the AEG as my backup. It's just that I'm not entirely familiar with the GBBRs yet...

I know nothing about the VFC model... I think there may be some threads on here about that
Toronto Downtown Age Verifier

OPERATION WOODSMAN

If the tongue could cut as the sword does, the dead would be infinite
Brian McIlmoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2010, 15:34   #8
m102404
Tys

Pros:
- action...cycling and feel of breaking a trigger pull
- real cap...you pick and choose your shots and manoever to get that shot
- reliable (temperature permitting)
- dead simple...if it's working, it's going to keep working (vs. the 100+ little parts in an AEG)

Cons:
- have to gas mags...so then you end up either carrying gas or leaving gas at a base camp
- ALL gas guns like to shoot at higher velocities (the systems just work better with more expansion power on tap)...at 330 you're almost choking off some systems
- you need a cleaning rod if you're going to clear your chamber...an issue with any airsoft gun really.

If the temperature is decent (anything from cool morning and warmer) I'd reach for a GBBR. If it's cold...I take either a V3 or PTW.

The only cost in "maintenance" on a working one (i.e. you've tuned it to shoot the velocity you want, you've swapped the recommended parts, it's otherwise running fine)...is about $10 in oil and grease for the year. I'm still working on a RC car bottle of shock oil...and only used little dabs of superlube grease here and there. I have run through a case of propane though, but that's not really maintenance.....
m102404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2010, 15:36   #9
z0ng

Sold my last AEG sometime in July/August I think? I've been using a WE M4 as my primary now ever since. Haven't been able to play in the cold due to the temperature limitation but otherwise it's been an excellent gun. It's had the odd issue but all have been easy to remedy.

The mags while they can leak aren't that hard to maintain. From what I've seen once you reseal the mag with gasket maker it's actually a better and more reliable seal than the stock rubber gasket that comes with the mag.

At this point I'm just looking to replace my barrel and hop up to see if I can get better accuracy at distance. It's more than accurate enough for indoor use currently.

Maintaining the GBBR is very simple too, it's breakdown is comparable to it's real counterpart which is nice. Once you're used to it a basic cleaning only takes a couple minutes.

I showed up to a TTAC game after taking a break from airsoft and got to see a GBBR for the first time (I didn't even know they existed at that stage). I saw c3sk's M4 and after checking it out proceeded with selling my AEG's and purchasing a GBBR within a months time. GBBR's pretty much restarted my interest in Airsoft.

Team GHOSTS G-42
How to fix your WE M4 Mags

Last edited by z0ng; December 14th, 2010 at 15:39..
z0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2010, 15:39   #10
phloudernow

Send a message via MSN to phloudernow Send a message via Skype™ to phloudernow
GBBRS are reliable depending on which brand you buy obviously, Most GBBRS are all based off the WE, or WA platform, Super high enders like Innokatsu are amazing, but replacement parts are super hard to find, as there arent that many after market parts for them, WA wise i would get the G&P WOC GBBRs those are FULL METAL and pretty much the same price as the original WA ones but the WA ones are ABS receivers so would probably stick to the WOC or WE guns.

I run a G&P WOC M4A1 which i have completely Pimped out

I would never get a ACM GBBR as ive seen them completely Fudge up hard on the field, For example, my friend in Hong Kong, his ACM M4 GBBR, the Charging handle completely snaped due to its brittle crappy POT metal that was used to make it and that was just bad, its now a wall hanger in his apartment =.= ACM guns maybe based off the WA platform? but wouldnt go for them

In terms of KJW, heard both positive and negative comments about it.

But as most will agree with me, stick with WE or the G&P WOC if u got more cash

The VFC and SOCOM GEAR M4, i have no idea as i have never played with one before but have heard many positive reviews about them.
Custom SAI BLU Glock Build (Timberwolf Base)
Custom Zev Noveske Shooting Team Glock 34
Project Guns
Custom Zev Dragonfly G17 (Project) (In progress)
phloudernow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2010, 15:45   #11
Ballcancer

I have to agree with Brian and Tyson ... I have also been slowlly switching over to gas as the realism is obviously the biggest selling point... My WE has been giving me verz few problems at most quick fixes that take only a few seconds... the one thing that really sells these to me are the possibility of jams and stopages. During the recent soldier gear game I had a series of stoppages that were solved generally the same as RS. the bolt jammed halfway back and forced me to react accordingly. It lends for quite an interesting experience when you have bbs pinning you down. Though the stoppages were my fault as I hadnt lubed the magazines properly lol. I use my GBBR when ever I can and as the others have said when the temuratures are on the warmer side the experiences is that much better... hope you enjoy them as much as we do!
Old December 14th, 2010, 15:53   #12
AoiShikaku

After seeing those GBBR at TTAC in action I feel let down by my AEG. Their performance was amazing and the actual feel of the kick back is so damn satisfying. I overlooked a quick cleaning take place in under 5 minutes. Something I can't do with my AEG. It's definitely something I'm going to pick up as my next gun.

FYI Brian has one of the coolest GBBR I've ever seen. I dont know what it was, but it was similar to an m4, but one piece receiver, and folding crane stock. Perfect since I'm a pretty small guy too =D
Old December 14th, 2010, 15:56   #13
Ballcancer

we pdw they are nice
Old December 14th, 2010, 16:40   #14
Shrapnel[Op-For]

Heres a question for the other WE gbbr users, do you run your primary at higher FPS because many only shoot in semi? I'm talking about feild FPS limits allowing guns to shoot higher when in SEMI only.
Shrapnel[Op-For] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2010, 16:49   #15
Thenooblord
Can't fix my own guns. Willing to fix yours.

Send a message via MSN to Thenooblord
I run in semi cause auto wastes ammo and is less accurate, and my M14 is detuned to 315 FPS

Words to live by
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid View Post
The apartment I am in right now costs $100 a month.
My average spending on food per day is less than $4.
My airsoft spending in the last month and a half has totaled over $1400.
They're called priorities. Get yourself some.
Thenooblord is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion