Radio Decision

:

Gear Discussion

Old July 18th, 2012, 22:43   #16
EvoTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach View Post
UHF = FRS

Do you never plan to ever play Airsoft again after rhino?
No, I will but there is a very, very good chance of changing countries due to lovely job market I will not be able to find a milsim where UHF radio can make its mark for another year if not more.

I pm'ed Frank and the lead time for the radio is close to 15 business days.

Thanks everybody for your interest and answers
EvoTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2012, 00:05   #17
EagleDriver

I know that you have pretty much made up your mind, but if there is a chance of you changing countries, then the PX-888K dual band radio actually makes the most sense. From the games that I have played around the world, it is the most commonly used radio for airsoft and MILSIM and is also common in the HAM radio world.

The PX-888K dual-band (UHF/VHF) is the same price as the regular PX-888 or PX-888D but gets you VHF, such as Marine band, and if you move to the US it also gives you MURS (license free VHF.) This is in addition to the FRS/GMRS capability, or PMR 446 capability in Europe.

Accessories are easy to get and inexpensive. You can get spare batteries, AA battery holders, car chargers, headsets, speaker mics, throat mics, bluetooth adapters, and more.

If you do decide to get he blister pack radios, I would recommend Motorola Talkabouts but only from the standpoint that you can easily get headsets and mics to work with them. There is a much larger selection of them for single pin Motorola (Talkabout) radios than Midland radios.

Last edited by EagleDriver; July 19th, 2012 at 00:07..
EagleDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2012, 00:20   #18
Affliction
a.k.a. Fury a.k.a. VipaMave

Almost any blister-pack 2-Way Radio will have a headset and/or microphone available to them, often for sale in the same section you'll find the radios. Most of them use the 2.5mm (Motorola) connector, which is fairly uncommon if you haven't used radios before. If you want a more tactical looking option, you'll have to look online.

Not many radios besides UHF will accommodate standard 3.5mm headphones.
Affliction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2012, 00:23   #19
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

a pair of FRS radios are not a bad thing to have, they will have more use than you think... I've used mine that I bought for another purpose in a few games, they're not great on huge fields, but they'll do. My motorola talkabouts even picked up chatter from somewhere else... some kids and were out playing on some property somewhere away from the gamefield at the LZ and we could hear the radio calls their mom was making to keep tabs on them... unfortunate for them they were on the channel being used for game control when kokanee came on asking for the taliban forces commander.... :P probably gave their mom a scare.

The range on my 5 year old talkabouts is definitely not the advertised amount, but it's a easily 1-2km radius... ymmv though indoors. I bought mine to keep in touch with cars in my car club on convoys to race or track events. We'd pick up lots of chatter on other channels from people in stores or warehouses using other frs radios from who knows where.. but they'd be on the channel for a good 20 minutes as we came and went on the highway.

Some of the guys that bought the crappier off brand ones? their range wasn't so good.

Last edited by lurkingknight; July 19th, 2012 at 00:27..
lurkingknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2012, 11:40   #20
EvoTR

Thanks guys. I guess you are right about international games but at I can decide to get it at that point.

The packs I have chosen come with headsets and from what I see, they have a 2 pin plug (one small one larger). I would have taken motorola if they had a similar pack but unfortunately similar deals are all sold out. I know that at least 10 guys will bring blister pack type radios to Rhino. As I have said, in the end, I will try to write my overall experience with them.
Old July 19th, 2012, 20:26   #21
Covax

As long as one guy per fire team (say 1/4 guys) has a solid radio there shouldn't be a problem with the other guys having the blister pack ones. The riflemen shouldn't be breaking formation or squawking on the squad's frequency anyways. You only need one dedicated guy to say 'we're taking fire'.

For Rhino I've got a PX888 and my fire buddy's bring his Talkabouts... several even in case the his primary or, gods forbid, my Puxing goes down.
Covax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2012, 23:15   #22
EvoTR

I bought the last remaining pair of midlands as I posted. Apparently they all take AA batteries so a plus there. Also they use a 2-pin; one short, one long plug. Did not test if works but regular headphones fit (mic takes the small pin), I can confirm once the battery charges.
Old August 22nd, 2012, 12:51   #23
tac57

Quansheng TG-UV2 from Ebay or anywhere else.

Dual band, VHF/UHF, takes kenwood prog and mike connector, great little unit.
tac57 is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion