Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

tokyo marui xdm, can it handle propane?

:

Airsoft Guns Discussion

Old April 9th, 2017, 19:18   #1
Neurotrauma

tokyo marui xdm, can it handle propane?

I just got my first marui pistol and I love it, but Im not sure what gas to use. I can only find difluroroethane for duster and it cycles really well on duster, maybbe because I can get a full seal with the duster adapter and I cant seem to get the same seal with propane. Its probably user error as I'm not used to these mags but I have had no issues filling my KWA mags.

What is the worst that could happen if I run it on propane? Cracked loading nozzle and slide? If its just replaceable parts down the line it might be easier for me to do that then source duster gas. I dont want to total my gun though.

I've heard newer TM's can handle it, but I dont see much about the XDM. Anyone else running one of these?
Neurotrauma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2017, 21:23   #2
Drakker
Official ASC Geomorphologist

I have a teammate who has been using a TM XDM for a long time now. It's a great gun that works very well, but he's gone through quite a few nozzles. The pistol seems to eat through them every couple thousands rounds. He switched to an aluminum nozzle and never had a problem with it again. Usually aluminum nozzles are not needed and in some pistols, they are best avoided, but for the XDM, it seems to be a must.

You can definitely run it on propane, no problem whatsoever, it won't break. If the mag spews gas while you are filling it, its normal. All TM valves are like this, they let the gas vent so you have only liquid in the mag. When it starts spewing liquid propane, it means its full and you can stop filling it.

Also, avoid difluoroethane, it eats through rubber seals and plastic. If you are going to use duster, use tetrafluoroethane. It's harder to find now because kids have been getting high on it, but its still available.

Québec province's master age verification representative.
Drakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2017, 22:46   #3
Tuzi

The tetrafluoroethane (HFC-134a) is also a lot stronger... you'll enjoy it more than the HFC-152a you're using. It's also not flammable, but that's hardly an airsoft issue since everyone's typically shooting with propane. LoL
(if you're using any "duster" on live electronics, this is the one you want...to avoid accidents from random sparks)

I've been shooting an older XDM(smoked frame) from TM for a while with propane. I find the aluminum nozzle(Wii Tech) is great...when it is working. For some reason it's a bit more temperamental when it comes to ambient temp(heat), as it sometimes doesn't cycle in semi...but the stock TM nozzle doesn't have the issue.
The ergonomics of the gun fit my hand size the best out of all my pistols tho...
Tuzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2017, 00:37   #4
Neurotrauma

ah, I purchased it as a smoked frame, I have the opaque frame on the way cause I got a good deal on the gun. I didnt realize this was an older model though. how much older are the smoke frame ones?

I had this tiny little piece break off the lower frame after like 10 shots on propane. this guy had the same piece...

https://airsoft-forums.uk/index.php?...ui-gbb-pistol/

so ive been kinda nervous to continue. I lubed up the slide but I'll look into an alternate nozzle if its going to be a problem
Old April 10th, 2017, 00:39   #5
Neurotrauma

and the mag spews when I use duster too, but it gets a proper seal, fills it up, and then sprays. the propane or atleast my airsoft innovations propane adaptor doesnt seem to like these mags, I cant seem to fill em up they just pour everywhere and it sprays on my hand, there is just not the right seal somehow.
Old April 10th, 2017, 02:53   #6
Fulcrum77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurotrauma View Post
ah, I purchased it as a smoked frame, I have the opaque frame on the way cause I got a good deal on the gun. I didnt realize this was an older model though. how much older are the smoke frame ones?

I had this tiny little piece break off the lower frame after like 10 shots on propane. this guy had the same piece...

https://airsoft-forums.uk/index.php?...ui-gbb-pistol/

so ive been kinda nervous to continue. I lubed up the slide but I'll look into an alternate nozzle if its going to be a problem
Had the same thing happen to me after 2 magazines. The force when the slide locks open on an empty magazine is too much for the plastic and the "metal" reinforcement.

Seems to be pretty common on opaque and smoked models. I saw a craigslist ad a couple months ago with an TM XDM with the same issue.
Fulcrum77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2017, 08:30   #7
Neurotrauma

is that going to cause more problems down the road? I wasnt sure how integral a piece it was, it seemed like it was just part of the slide rail.
Old April 10th, 2017, 12:43   #8
Styrak

Send a message via MSN to Styrak
Quote:
is that going to cause more problems down the road? I wasnt sure how integral a piece it was, it seemed like it was just part of the slide rail.
Looks like that's a metal reinforcement for the slide lock area on the slide, so that the metal slide stop doesn't eat into the plastic of the slide.

As for propane, a guy here needed a enhanced hammer spring to have it fire reliably on propane in summer heat (and/or with WE magazines).

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2017, 18:11   #9
Tuzi

Quote:
I just checked mine, that piece is still there, no issues. It is part of the guide that the pistol slide uses. Without it, your slide should be more weak, but also your slide may not have as true of a forward-back motion as intended, or at least have the potential loss of stability.
Make sure your slide assembly in general is clean and lubricated, as well as the receiving track on the frame.
Tuzi is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion