Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Turning Night into day

:

Gear Discussion

Old May 13th, 2011, 00:49   #1
Ozone06

Turning Night into day

Since I'm not able to justify purchasing or even being able to source NOD's for some night/24 games coming up at the Prince Edward Complex in Picton.

I'm looking into torches that turn night into day. ie. 200+ lumen torches. I have a set of the Costco tech light "160 lumen" as a weapon light and another as secondary illumination.

I'm wondering do I really need one?

I'm looking at either the Fenix TK15

Or a Surefire 6PX Dual output

The surefire is more expensive but well it's a surefire and it comes with a box of batteries. I messed around with the Fenix at the sportsman show in Toronto and it seemed pretty solid and good value with a Cree LED.

My next question is about the rechargeable CR123A batteries and how there can be issues with cooking/breaking some lamps. I know not to cheap out on batteries but rechargeable batteries seem to be the cost effective solution.

Any thoughts or alternatives?

Thanks!

Ozone
Ozone06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2011, 00:55   #2
Gato
ASC's Whiny Bitch

I don't know about other players, but I and a number of people I know, have a policy of firing upon individuals who run around blinding me/us and destroying our natural night vision. Alot fo people don't take kindly to people slapping lights on and off at random, screwing up their vision.
Certified Level 3.1415926 Sniper Certified
Certified Level 3.1415926 Orbital Weapons platform Certified
Gato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2011, 01:07   #3
Rugger_can

MicroFire Innovator 1000/500 lumen HID Flashlight

Runs off rechargeable batteries designed specifically for it.

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gato View Post
I don't know about other players, but I and a number of people I know, have a policy of firing upon individuals who run around blinding me/us and destroying our natural night vision. Alot fo people don't take kindly to people slapping lights on and off at random, screwing up their vision.
Indeed, light discipline is important. However randomly firing upon anyone with a flashlight (including teammates) is pretty dishonorable as well. Address the problem and ensure your team knows light discipline.

Last edited by Rugger_can; May 13th, 2011 at 01:11..
Rugger_can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2011, 01:16   #4
ShelledPants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugger_can View Post
Indeed, light discipline is important. However randomly firing upon anyone with a flashlight (including teammates) is pretty dishonorable as well. Address the problem and ensure your team knows light discipline.
I will happily execute and send to respawn any team mate who willfully engages me at close range with a flashlight.

Ár skal r?*sa, sá er annars vill
fé eða fjör hafa. Sjaldan liggjandi úlfur
lær um getur né sofandi maður sigur.
ShelledPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2011, 01:36   #5
Ozone06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gato View Post
Rightly so and everything I've read pertaining to night ops is a priority on preserving natural night vision and light discipline. Thanks to all the others for the pointed comments about light discipline as well.

And I'm gathering it would be a better idea to get a low lumen filtered headlamp or something for reading messing in my bag etc?
Ozone06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2011, 03:09   #6
Justinh789

It helps to try to find something with a red filter, it preserves night vision yet still allows you to see what you're doing. If you don't buy one with a filter you can usually find attachments for the more popular brands.

Like this:

Personally I use one of these: http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...adgets/4317410

It's got a bright white LED, Red, Green, Blue and IR capabilities and runs off AA's. So far I love it and haven't had any issues with it. I
Old May 13th, 2011, 03:09   #7
MadMax
Delierious Designer of Dastardly Detonations

Location: in the dark recesses of some metal chip filled machine shop
I like Olight flashlights a lot. Good value with many Ebay retailers. Powerful Cree emitters and handy accessories like wired remotes and tailcaps with side buttons. Many models also offer low intensity modes (15lm) that are selectable by turning the bezel a few times to put the light into that mode.

I find that the strobe mode doesn't degrade my night vision nearly as much as extended activation. As sexy as NVG is, at close quarters in a CQC situation I'd take a strobe 320lm Olight over a real PVS. Once the fight opens up in close quarters, the peripheral view limitations of PVS become a penalty and being able to blind opfor becomes a strong advantage. Two or three strobes is plenty enough to establish the distribution of obstacles and opfor in a room.

Outdoors the situation is a fair bit different. Turning on a lamp completely reveals your position and calls in the opfor. Most lights don't have enough throw to stun at longer outdoor ranges so their combat effectiveness is rather mitigated.

Lights are still a valuable tool in certain situations. You might be annoyed when your teammates use them indiscriminately, but you pretty much have to suck up your whining about natural night vision if opfor fields it against you effectively. In situations where there is a little ambient light, I sometimes blast a light down a corridor or into a room while closing my eyes. Turn off the light end enter and opfor's natural night vision is toast, but I can still see them in the dark.

Someday when I'm bored at work with nothing to do, I want to glue together a couple dozen 300lm emitters pointing in all directions around a circuit board and a battery. Set up the circuit to flash a strobe pattern after receiving an impact so I can huck my photonic detonator around the corner into a room I have to clear. I'd take the front plate off my auto darkening welding helmet and stick it on my goggles so I can come around the corner with a faceplate that automatically dims to mitigate the omni strobe so I can strike Neo poses while I shoot everyone like a scene from Equilibrium.

Last edited by MadMax; May 13th, 2011 at 03:16..
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2011, 10:47   #8
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

Lights

Have their place in your loadout.

In the open field or forest. a weapon mounted light has limited use.. you give away more than you get when you use one. For the field all light used should be subdued and red filtered , I use a PETZL Tactical headlamp with a red filter and wear it around my neck , it shines right into your natural workspace and your body helps to shield the light. I find this works better than wearing it on the head where it can get snagged as you move through bush.

In Close Quarters inside buildings they can be quite useful if deployed properly. ( short flashes) but you will toast your night vision when you use it,
Weapon mounted lights need contact switches.

In addition I have a small hand held flashlight stowed in my 1st line rig.
This one can emit light at low levels in Red , Blue and Green as well as White.

It can be quite useful for signaling.

make sure whatever lights you have with you, you have enough batteries to swap them out 2 times.
Toronto Downtown Age Verifier

OPERATION WOODSMAN

If the tongue could cut as the sword does, the dead would be infinite
Brian McIlmoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2011, 11:19   #9
m102404
Tys

I suspect the following will happen....from two opposite perspectives:

1. You are on the bad guys side...in which case you will drawn merciless and blistering volumes of fire from the good guys when you spark up ANY light.

2. You are on the good guys side...in which case you will be shot in the back at a minimum once...sent to respawn...and maybe sometime when the sun comes up you'll link back up with your group again.

Don't do it.

General note...if you're on the opposing team....feel free to buy the brightest light you want, have it on and wave it about as much as you want. When you're shot, please pass it to the guy next to you.

Last edited by m102404; May 13th, 2011 at 11:21..
m102404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2011, 22:56   #10
x0ng

@Ozone06

Don't hold back, spend the money to get NVG's. Yes, it is expensive but you will enjoy the night experience more. What's $3000-$4000 after all you have spent so far (and yet to spend) to enjoy airsoft.

You won't regret it. I suggest you get:
  1. PVS-14 Gen3 monocule
  2. Helmet mounting kit
  3. Ops-Core Helmet

Good luck, you know you want it.
x0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2011, 23:10   #11
FOX_111
Le Roi des poissons d'avril

For stealth personal illumination during night ops where white light is not advisable, I use an electric RED glowstick that I taped with alumium foil inside. Leaving only the tip and a narrow strip free to light maps or my path in total darkness. It's dim enough as not to be seen from far away and it won't burn my natural night vision. It take up to 40 minutes to aclimate to darkness and see like a cat.

I don't use a weapon mounted light for those occasions. I only use it in CQB or emergency.

When I play as a sniper in night ops, I oviously use no light and it's very easy to kill people running their light to see their BBs flying or spotting their target.

I prefer to hunt and fight using my own natural adaptation.

Vérificateur d'âge: Terrebonne
FOX_111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2011, 00:19   #12
DEATH2000

Have you ever heard of the Quiglite? It was originally designed for Law Enforcement Officers, and clips onto the front of the uniform shirt (or other places as needed). See link below. Affordable at only $22.

https://911supply.ca/component/page,...mart/Itemid,1/

And the newer Stealth version:
https://911supply.ca/component/page,...mart/Itemid,1/
Old May 14th, 2011, 00:50   #13
Danke

Get good at closing one eye when you see a light go on. You'll still be able to see but when the light goes out your night vision will be less degraded.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion