Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Does a PEQ make a gun front heavy?

:

Newbie Tank

Old June 3rd, 2009, 14:36   #1
warbird

Does a PEQ make a gun front heavy?

Hey, I was thinking of throwing on a PEQ battery box on the front of an M4 with a 9.6V 2400 mah Nicad battery. Would this really make the gun front heavy(unstable)? If so, I would be putting on a full stock for the battery, but the thing is I'm trying to replicate a C8.

http://www.uncompany.com/pageproduct...sp?prodid=2660

Thanks.

Last edited by warbird; June 3rd, 2009 at 14:41..
warbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2009, 14:40   #2
viraL
Envies Disaster_Piece's hair

It's not as much the PEQ unit that adds to the weight rather than the battery. Where did you usually have your battery? Just hold it out on where you wanna put it on the rail, and viola that should tell you how heavy it's going to be. Maybe add like 2 toonies for the weight of the PEQ (some are heavier than others i believe though)
viraL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2009, 14:45   #3
warbird

I meant the weight of the battery Thing is, I don't have the gun yet, it's on its way.
warbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2009, 14:46   #4
Crunchmeister

+1 to what viraL said. It's the battery that adds the weight. Just tape a comparable battery to the rail where you'd normally install the PEQ box and that will tell you how front heavy it is and if you can deal with the extra weight or not.

Keep in mind that what one person may find front heavy, another person may not mind at all. It's up to personal preference.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 15:00   #5
KND
* AV revoked *

I'm the person who always complain about heavy gun but currently I have PEQ in my front but it's not really heavy at all, it maybe because I used Lipo battery.

KND

KND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2009, 15:09   #6
viraL
Envies Disaster_Piece's hair

Usually, you'd want your gun to be front heavy. Easier for point ability. I find with crane stocks and full stocks, that it almost weighs down in my shoulder. I don't like it. It also adds to the straight on your pistol grip hand, and that's not cool.
viraL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2009, 17:11   #7
HeadlessChicken

I stuck a G&P PEQ 9.6v 3300mah on my CA36 and it did add a fair bit of weight but thats because the rails are located almost at the very front of the weapon. On an M4, I'd figure it would be more balanced as the rails where you'd most likely mount the battery is a little further back.
"Hey I'm the first one to say its a great country but its a straaaaange culture. This is a place where gun store owners are given a list of stolen credit cards but not a list of CRIMINALS and MANIACS. And now they're thinking of banning toy guns...AND THEY'RE GONNA KEEP THE F**KING REAL ONES!"
-George Carlin 1937 - 2008 (RIP buddy)
HeadlessChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2009, 18:18   #8
NovaKaynE

Another thing about the PEQ battery boxes. They tend to be larger than mil spec and when/if you mount the battery box on the top rail of your gun, it blocks the front post sight. If you're running an 8.4v battery, I would assume the battery box would be smaller, but I have no experience with 8.4v batteries. Just 9.6v batteries

To answer your question, the battery box does add a little bit of weight to the gun. Like the above mentioned fact and this combined, its why I switched to a rear wired crane stock option.

G&P makes a mil spec (kinda) working PEQ. Working flashlight, working red beam powered by either AA or AAA batteries. I'm gonna get that next since I don't have a battery on my rail anymore.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 18:30   #9
FOX_111
Le Roi des poissons d'avril

If your rifle is well ballanced, you won't find it front heavy.

I remember one of teamate having the first TM M4 RIS with a PEQ at the front and only the stock collapsible stock, it was unballanced and tirering to carry.

Now with tiny LiPo batteries, it might be a thing of the past.

Vérificateur d'âge: Terrebonne
FOX_111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2009, 19:19   #10
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

Quote:
Originally Posted by viraL View Post
Usually, you'd want your gun to be front heavy. Easier for point ability. I find with crane stocks and full stocks, that it almost weighs down in my shoulder. I don't like it. It also adds to the straight on your pistol grip hand, and that's not cool.
Huh?

you want your weapon balanced.. .. back weighted will imporve pointability .. but will also cause wide spacing of shots in reflexive shooting.

Front heavy will result in low or also widespacing ( even wider ) when reacting to targets.

Idealy you want a weapon that is well balanced and rests in your grip without having to be held tightly.

AS guns tend to be front heavy anyway as most have overly light receivers and stocks

Adding a lot of "stuff" to the fore end will make it worse.

in the end poor balance is worse than heavy weight when it comes to shooting.
Toronto Downtown Age Verifier

OPERATION WOODSMAN

If the tongue could cut as the sword does, the dead would be infinite
Brian McIlmoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2009, 20:59   #11
L473ncy

I have my PEQ mounted on the top and front. I personally find that it's well balanced (all metal gun and body) but I would feel a bit more comfortable if there was a bit more weight at the back.

Otherwise for me it's good. Even my teammates say it's nice and well balanced.

YMMV.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank