Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Surefire, A step BELOW the rest?

:

Gear Discussion

Old November 12th, 2009, 21:08   #1
Drache
BALLET, TYPE: SELF LOATHING, ANALBURST

Surefire, A step BELOW the rest?

I asked about a bright small flashlight and after many suggestions one stood out, a Surefire G2 Nitrolon so I ordered one. When I first got it I loved it, it was small yet nicely powerful! Anyways it's been a month since I got it.

All of a sudden it just stopped working. New batteries ARENT the problem.

Pushed the button on the back for 3 seconds, had it off for 10 seconds, then needed light again but when I pushed the button nothing. Tried turning the end instead and still nothing. Changed the batteries and again nothing.

To top it off the Pressure Button on the back now doesn't press in, it's rock solid no matter how tight or loose the tail cap is.

So I fired off an email to the Surefire Customer Service to get sent a Warranty Number and here's how things went:

Email to them:
Quote:
I own a Surefire G2 Nitrolon and it just all of a sudden stopped working. I had it on for about 3 seconds, then I turned it off for only about 10 seconds before needing light again and when I turned it on, it just would turn on. Pushing the button or turning the end didn't turn the light on even if I changed the batteries.
Response to me:
Quote:
Thank you for your support of SureFire products.

Please try the following test on your G2:

1.) Unscrew the tailcap
2.) Put a brand new set of batteries into your G2
3.) Retrieve a metal object, such as a car key, paperclip, etc.
4.) Place the metal object on the center of the battery and at the same time touch the inside wall of the body of your G2 with the metal object
5.) Does the flashlight light up when this test is performed?

Have you attempted changed the lamp assembly as well as the batteries?
My response to them:
Quote:
I tried the suggestions (except changing the lamp since I dont have one) and it still didn't work. I noticed as well that my button on the back of the flashlight no longer presses in to turn on the light either.
Their response to me:
Quote:
Thank you for your support of SureFire products.

Please purchase one of the replacement lamp assemblies off our website and install it along with new batteries to see if that solves the problem.
Now anyone can get a lemon from any company, it happens, BUT their support is spending MORE money ($30 for a lamp assembly for a $50 flashlight) from them to try and solve a problem with one of their products and if that doesn't work then they will send me a number to get it repaired AFTER of course I pay the shipping costs to them (which was calculated out to $20)!
Drache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2009, 21:24   #2
Goldman

Send a message via MSN to Goldman
You really dont know anyone that owns,/stores that have demo G2s? Just swap the assembly with a friend, see if it goes flash. If it doesnt, RMA it. Given the amount of operator caused failures i'm not suprised they want you to cover shipping. Why not just return it to the retailer/ ask for a working one?

My Buy/Sell 1337ness rating
Goldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2009, 21:48   #3
Drache

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldman View Post
You really dont know anyone that owns,/stores that have demo G2s? Just swap the assembly with a friend, see if it goes flash. If it doesnt, RMA it. Given the amount of operator caused failures i'm not suprised they want you to cover shipping. Why not just return it to the retailer/ ask for a working one?
I live in a mining and logging town of 200 people with over an hour to the nearest town which even doesn't do any good since no one even sells Surefires locally anyways. Im the only one in town that owns a Surefire.
Old November 12th, 2009, 22:01   #4
Chingyul

How badly do you need it?
You could order a cheap LED lamp assembly from DX (just make sure you pick one that doesn't generate too much heat since you're using the polymer body G2).
Old November 12th, 2009, 22:03   #5
Kokanee
Ministry of Peace

How often have you been using it? Surefire lamps can burn out quick, same thing happened to a buddy of mine. You want to buy the LED front end for that flashlight. Or return it and get a G2 LED.

It also sounds like you've activated the lockout feature on the tailcap.

Last edited by Kokanee; November 12th, 2009 at 22:05..
Kokanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2009, 22:06   #6
Drache

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokanee View Post
How often have you been using it? Surefire lamps only have about 60mins of runtime on the stock xenon bulb. You want the LED front end for that flashlight.

It also sounds like you've activated the lockout feature on the tailcap.
I know how long the runtime is but it's not the batteries since Ive put new ones into it. And the lockout feature on the tail cap is only if you move the tailcap so the two dots line up. No matter where the tailcap is it's still locked.
Old November 12th, 2009, 22:12   #7
T_A_N_K

Surefire's are over priced and I don't think are that great. I have a 6P that has the same problem, flashlight was pretty much $100 that uses two CR123 (1-2$ a piece) thats now nothing more than a paper weight. I've bought a Fenix light since, at half that cost, with more options and it has lasted longer and is cheaper to run than said flashlight. I would recommend the TK12 or if you want something cheaper the Fenix L2D.

Last edited by T_A_N_K; November 12th, 2009 at 22:18..
T_A_N_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2009, 23:53   #8
FOX_111
Le Roi des poissons d'avril

I used a G2 for about 2 years without a problem.
I now own a E2D and a 6P LED Defender.

I changed the lamp assembly on the E2D once after about 4 years of use.

Now, back to the G2, you could have a lemon, but if it's possible, go to a store, or gunshop (they usually sell Surefire stuff) and swap the lamp there. Sometime they come in little bags that can be opened for testing... if it fix the problem, you buy, if not, you don't.

A deffective tailcap button is something new to me. If I was closer to you, I would have told you to send it to me so I could check it out at my local store with spare parts. Maybe someone you trust in your erea can do the same.

If it's just the tailcap button, buy a compatible clone tape switch and use the G2 on your airsoft gun.

Surefire product are supposed to be LIFE TIME WARRANTY. except for the bulb and batteries.

Vérificateur d'âge: Terrebonne
FOX_111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2009, 00:00   #9
Drache

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOX_111 View Post
I used a G2 for about 2 years without a problem.
I now own a E2D and a 6P LED Defender.

I changed the lamp assembly on the E2D once after about 4 years of use.

Now, back to the G2, you could have a lemon, but if it's possible, go to a store, or gunshop (they usually sell Surefire stuff) and swap the lamp there. Sometime they come in little bags that can be opened for testing... if it fix the problem, you buy, if not, you don't.

A deffective tailcap button is something new to me. If I was closer to you, I would have told you to send it to me so I could check it out at my local store with spare parts. Maybe someone you trust in your erea can do the same.

If it's just the tailcap button, buy a compatible clone tape switch and use the G2 on your airsoft gun.

Surefire product are supposed to be LIFE TIME WARRANTY. except for the bulb and batteries.
1) I live in a town of 200 people out in the mountains, we are lucky enough to have a post office.
2) Local town which is over an hour away does not have any stores that sell Surefire stuff.
3) I know they are supposed to have a life time warranty and Surefire will replace it AFTER I purchase a lamp assembly from them.
Old November 13th, 2009, 01:30   #10
Goldman

Send a message via MSN to Goldman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drache View Post
1) I live in a town of 200 people out in the mountains, we are lucky enough to have a post office.
2) Local town which is over an hour away does not have any stores that sell Surefire stuff.
3) I know they are supposed to have a life time warranty and Surefire will replace it AFTER I purchase a lamp assembly from them.
Where did you buy it? Seriously why not return it or contact the retailer you got it from?

My Buy/Sell 1337ness rating
Goldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2009, 12:13   #11
Drache

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldman View Post
Where did you buy it? Seriously why not return it or contact the retailer you got it from?
Bought it from an online retailer who told me simply to "contact the company since it's under warranty".

UPDATE:
Well I gave a call to Surefire and lodged a complaint about this customer service. They are now going to mail me a new tailcap and lamp assembly for free to try out!

Last edited by Drache; November 13th, 2009 at 12:29..
Old November 13th, 2009, 12:51   #12
FOX_111
Le Roi des poissons d'avril

Nice!
I exected nothing less from them!

Vérificateur d'âge: Terrebonne
FOX_111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2009, 14:32   #13
Drache

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOX_111 View Post
Nice!
I exected nothing less from them!
Except it took calling them and lodging a formal complaint about their customer service.
Old November 13th, 2009, 14:51   #14
georche

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_A_N_K View Post
Surefire's are over priced and I don't think are that great. I have a 6P that has the same problem, flashlight was pretty much $100 that uses two CR123 (1-2$ a piece) thats now nothing more than a paper weight. I've bought a Fenix light since, at half that cost, with more options and it has lasted longer and is cheaper to run than said flashlight. I would recommend the TK12 or if you want something cheaper the Fenix L2D.

I would have to agree with T_A_N_K. I owned 2 surefires and both burned out way too quickly. I also needed to replace the headlamp assembly twice on one of them. I switched to Fenix and never looked back. They are very affordable and are made for heavy duty use (rock climbing, law enforcement, etc...). They are very bright LED flashlights with adjustable brightness levels along with some different lighting/flashing schemes (strobe, S.O.S., etc...)....and their pressure switches are of good quality.
georche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2009, 15:33   #15
Drache

Quote:
Originally Posted by georche View Post
I would have to agree with T_A_N_K. I owned 2 surefires and both burned out way too quickly. I also needed to replace the headlamp assembly twice on one of them. I switched to Fenix and never looked back. They are very affordable and are made for heavy duty use (rock climbing, law enforcement, etc...). They are very bright LED flashlights with adjustable brightness levels along with some different lighting/flashing schemes (strobe, S.O.S., etc...)....and their pressure switches are of good quality.
I looked into the TK12 and at $80+ that's a little more than Im going to spend on a flashlight at this time. I also looked into the L2D and it was just slightly more expensive than the Surefire G2 so at this time I'll stick with the G2 until it actually breaks and then pick up the L2D as a replacement.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion