Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Sticky / Stuck Slide?

:

Newbie Tank

Old January 9th, 2010, 01:58   #16
Shirley
A-56 aka Mr.Hitman

lol if you racked it a million times, you should see where the wear mark is and see from there.

CANADIAN AIRSOFT PRACTICAL SHOOTING (CAPS)
CAPS DIRECTOR # 0047
Shirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2010, 02:00   #17
RacingManiac

The thing I'd worry about, is if too much material were removed from the base of the BBU, the nozzle will sit too low relative to the mag, so when the mag is inserted it pinches mag...

My Arnies' Album
My PBase Album
Custom Pistol Whore...
RacingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2010, 02:01   #18
Shirley
A-56 aka Mr.Hitman

Question.. Does it get stuck with the nozzle forward?

CANADIAN AIRSOFT PRACTICAL SHOOTING (CAPS)
CAPS DIRECTOR # 0047
Shirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2010, 03:17   #19
Slono
Slow mo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
How much material did you remove(if at all) from the bottom of the BBU?
I did not remove any material from the bottom of the BBU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hitman View Post
lol if you racked it a million times, you should see where the wear mark is and see from there.
There are marks... and I think I know what the problem is. At first I thought it was normal until I tested something.

RacingManiac was correct. When the barrel is really far out, it gets stuck. When I push it in or wiggle it while pushing it at the same time the slide eventually makes its way back. But I found it gets stuck 100% of the time when I pull the outer barrel forward while racking the slide. I thought it might be that there was too much play between the hop up unit and the outer barrel but the Nova barrel that came with the kit is nearly identical to the stock barrel.

Edit: Another thing that happens is that when I point the gun directly at the floor and rack it has a 100% sticking rate. Its a gradual sticking. It gets stickier and tighter to the point where it no longer moves. I can remove my hands from the gun and it'll be stuck in that position.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands
in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he
stands at times of challenge and controversy.
- Martin Luther King, Jr.

Last edited by Slono; January 9th, 2010 at 03:24..
Slono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2010, 03:33   #20
Slono
Slow mo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hitman View Post
Question.. Does it get stuck with the nozzle forward?
It starts to get stuck the minute I begin to rack it. Keep in mind the gun is pointing straight down at the ground. There's a gradual tightness (that ends up being to tight it gets stuck) between the barrel and the slide, and that's the problem, but I don't know the cause of it.

Last edited by Slono; January 9th, 2010 at 03:48..
Old January 9th, 2010, 07:34   #21
Slono
Slow mo.

Solved.

A HUGE thanks goes out to my old man who helped me troubleshoot most of it today.

An obscene amount of troubleshooting was done before we reached a perfectly plausible theory. The part on the outer barrel that looks like a hook was bent outwards during the installing process of the hop-up unit and the inner barrel and it created a much larger space than it originally had (between the two). Because there was too much space between them and when the slide was racked whether by hand or when fired, the wobble was great enough to tilt the base of the outer barrel up, thus jamming the chamber area against the lugs on the ceiling of the slide.

Solution:

1. We re-installed the innards of the upper assembly (slide) and got two thick pieces and one thin piece of wood along with a vise grip. Then I stuck the thin piece of wood between the hop up chamber and the side of the slide to prevent the barrel from rotating, and put the [metal] slide between the two thick pieces of wood. Then my dad took the vise grip, put the lower teeth on the hook like shape of the outer barrel and the top teeth on the thick piece of wood on the left, if you were looking at the slide from an angle where the blow back unit was closest to you. He squeeze the vise until the hook shaped area moved closer to the hop up while I held the two pieces of wood tightly...and eureka! The wobble was very minimal. After racking it a bunch of times and emptying a full mag of BBs it was still moving smoothly.

And there we have it. A stupid installation mistake by me caused me an extra 23 extra working hours on this gun.

Now for the trigger problem... lol. Except this time I can see the problem clearly and know how to fix it.

YAY!

Last edited by Slono; January 9th, 2010 at 07:36..
Old January 9th, 2010, 16:07   #22
m102404
Tys

Could you post a Pic with of the area you adjusted with some arrows/whatever?

I think I got what you wrote...but I'd like to be sure.

Congrats. 23 hours well spent!

I just spent $800+ and a whole evening swearing about a new race gun build...so I'm feeling your pain

Ain't hobbies fun?
m102404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2010, 19:34   #23
RacingManiac

pretty sure all the guns I've put together so far took 3 times more time than I planned for them....at least they all work in the end...lol

My Arnies' Album
My PBase Album
Custom Pistol Whore...
Old January 10th, 2010, 05:11   #24
Slono
Slow mo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m102404 View Post
Could you post a Pic with of the area you adjusted with some arrows/whatever?

I think I got what you wrote...but I'd like to be sure.

Congrats. 23 hours well spent!

I just spent $800+ and a whole evening swearing about a new race gun build...so I'm feeling your pain

Ain't hobbies fun?
I've taken the gun apart so many times trying to figure out the trigger problem I thought I had the solution for that I don't want to take it apart anymore for a little while. The beautiful frame is all scratched up along the rails so it hurts to look at it!

Anyway here are other pictures that I've taken from various places to illustrate the work me and my father did.

This unit belongs to a hi capa 5.1. I took the picture from the justpistols review site.

question:

Are hop up units supposed to fit snugly in the other barrel? Even after reducing the slack between the two pieces it still wiggles.

Old January 10th, 2010, 12:28   #25
RacingManiac

They are supposed to have play in between, not excessively left to right per se, since once the unit is installed into the frame that whole lower "blade"(for lack of better word, the extension portion where the hop wheel is )gets captured by a feature in the lower frame, so they don't play left to right, but still allow to telescope in and out of the each other. If the hopup/inner assembly is fixed to I don't think the outer barrel will be able to tilt down to unlock the slide.

My Arnies' Album
My PBase Album
Custom Pistol Whore...
Old January 10th, 2010, 12:40   #26
Slono
Slow mo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
They are supposed to have play in between, not excessively left to right per se, since once the unit is installed into the frame that whole lower "blade"(for lack of better word, the extension portion where the hop wheel is )gets captured by a feature in the lower frame, so they don't play left to right, but still allow to telescope in and out of the each other. If the hopup/inner assembly is fixed to I don't think the outer barrel will be able to tilt down to unlock the slide.
hm. It still wiggles more than I'd like. If all it needs to do is slide in and out of the square space in the outer barrel then it should be close enough that the wiggle is VERY small.. I wonder if I should try vising it again...

Old September 30th, 2010, 23:34   #27
Tomolok

Send a message via ICQ to Tomolok Send a message via MSN to Tomolok
Im having a similar problem, the slide gets stuck, however when i took it apart, removed the BBU and such, it sticks?! Should i start sanding down the rail?
Old October 6th, 2010, 01:31   #28
Slono
Slow mo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomolok View Post
Im having a similar problem, the slide gets stuck, however when i took it apart, removed the BBU and such, it sticks?! Should i start sanding down the rail?
I'm not following. Are you saying after you've removed the internals from the slide it still sticks when you are trying to slide it on the rails?

ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank