Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Deadly Designs' Hybrid 66

:

Upgrades & Modifications

Old December 20th, 2011, 14:17   #16
danhay

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadlydayne View Post
I really Wish they didnt use those gay torx screws. I mean torx is good but the screws they used are shit. They have a short thread and very little chamfer so its hard to get started in the hole and easy to cross thread and strip.
I like the torx head fastener but you are bang on in that the ones WE chose to use are completely inadequate. I purchased my SCAR used and one of the front body screws was stripped out. I noticed this with paintball guns when I used to play years ago; steel screws mating with Al threads does not a happy combination make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadlydayne View Post
As for making the part out of stainless that would require different tooling. Maybe some CRS (Cold Rolled Steel)? I mean its cheaper and weaker than most steels but the only reason you need it is to keep from stripping, and with that you shouldnt have a problem.
This is just the type of discussion I hoped to kick off. As you can tell, my knowledge regarding metal fabrication and material selection is basically non-existent. I guess I should have merely stated the goal (threads that don't strip when you look at them wrong) as opposed to suggesting a material!

If you do ever make a part 015 in CRS, kindly let me know as I'd buy a few in a heartbeat!

I hear you on the rail width - please don't think I was advocating changing this as I do realize that it would make them absotively useless.
danhay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2011, 16:38   #17
Ninja_En_Short

Send a message via MSN to Ninja_En_Short
Kinda reminds me of a picture I saw of prototype in early dev stage. Good work.

Gun doc in Montreal on AEG, GBB, GBBR and Bolt rifle (gaz and spring)
Heavy custom builder (including painting)

Ninja_En_Short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2011, 16:57   #18
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

Nice work,

but I'm not sure what it offers over the original butt stock ?

other than putting a pretty square corner in your nose
Toronto Downtown Age Verifier

OPERATION WOODSMAN

If the tongue could cut as the sword does, the dead would be infinite
Brian McIlmoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2011, 17:33   #19
deadlydayne

Dan,
One of the only other reasons I suggested CRS was with the tooling I have I can cut it. (I stick mainly with aluminum which is complete different tooling required for steel) But the CRS is an exception.

I took no offense on the rails just telling everyone why I cant change them much.

Brian, The options it offers is the use of any M4 stock, any one htat will fit on the buffer tube, and that appeals to many people as they like/LOVE their M4 stocks more than the WE scars'
deadlydayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2011, 20:28   #20
danhay

Here is some food for thought:

SCAR with AR stock at VLTOR booth at 2011 SHOT Show

This image/link came from this page.
danhay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2011, 21:15   #21
deadlydayne

Yea that was my original thought was to use that, But I personally think its too thick. My 66 is .7" thick total, so its just under 3/4", keep it light and small, If I do anything it will be to 3d mill the whole back half of the part so it matches something like the VLTOR

I love the handgaurd they have on that scar, I want one =D
Old December 22nd, 2011, 18:05   #22
IRONSIGHT

While I agree lighter is better, I have to agree with Brian that it is a little too squared off at the back and doesn't look quite right. If you made it as long as the RS part with the shape similar to an HK MP5 slither stock and hollowed it out from the inside for weight reduction, it would look better and also less likely to hurt your nose. It would also allow VFC SCAR owners (hint-hint) to use it on AEGs as well, with some minor wiring mods.
IRONSIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2011, 19:26   #23
deadlydayne

its a machine bored and machine cut threads, Its a thru and thru hole, if your talking about wiring to your buffer tube it will work as is. Ill have to see what I can do for a thicker part.
Old February 17th, 2012, 17:08   #24
Kos-Mos

Any update on this?

I could use one right about now since my hinge plate died...
Kos-Mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 21:29   #25
Adamlxlx

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhay View Post
If I had a RS buffer tube I'd send it to you!

The only buffer tube I have is a part of my VFC M4. This is somewhat less than optimal for use with your hybrid 66 because it isn't a real buffer tube.

Part 015 is indicated in the photo below (click the thumbnail for the larger version):

Personally, I think the part should be stainless or something that won't strip in a light breeze as it is far too easy to mis-align the torx-head body scews. I don't know enough about the black art of metal fabrication so aside from higher material costs I have no idea what is involved in machining stainless versus Aluminium.

It sounds like the rails aren't totally ergonomic and I only use my rails to mount one flashlight so I'll hold off there.

I am interested in the hybrid 66 because I would like to mount a UBR stock on my SCAR ... cuz that would blow people's minds!

Cheers - Dan
I second the part 015
Adamlxlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 22:28   #26
deadlydayne

I dont have much time now, but I just received a RS Buffer tube, so they will now be cut to RS/WE thread only. Like I told Adam mere seconds ago, I will have to look at part 15 for you guys. Hopefully my work load will lighten soon so I can get these parts made.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications