Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Tips for A Future Player/Sniper?

:

Newbie Tank

Old October 10th, 2012, 19:38   #1
-Rooster

Tips for A Future Player/Sniper?

I'm a fairly new member on these forums, and have been interested in eventually taking on a sniper role. I've been playing for roughly 2 years with friends, and am starting to get more into the sport. I play regularly with 4-5 friends and I am starting to gain more experience. I'm posting here because there are a lot of open-minded people from what I've seen, and I've got some newb questions.

I've looked through several helpful threads and researched various types of airsoft guns recently, and would say that I'm familiar with the basics. I'm not here to be a know-it all, nor get flamed for being a newb; I'm simply here for some tips and information, so that I can further progress and get even more into the sport.

Now, I'm relatively young at the moment (Going to be 15 in 13 days) and I'm merely looking at options so I'm ready when I can be AV'ed and join competitive games. I currently only own a spring rifle (FAMAS from Canadian Tire) which is effective at about 65 ft. I guess you could refer to it as a mini- DM rifle. Whenever I play with friends, I prefer playing more conservatively, conserving ammo, and trying to stay hidden. I'd say that I'm patient, and willing to wait for a chance to attack instead of rushing in. I have used three AEGs at those battles, a Thompson M1A1 (from CT), a DPMS M4 (also from CT) and a DPMS Kitty Cat M16 from our local army surplus store. They are generally low-end, I would say, but its given me a sort of feel for the game, and certain tactics.

I'm very much interested in taking on a sniper role one day, maybe in 2-3 years. I'm aware of the costs of quality sniper rifles, plus the various upgrades I'd need to put to outrange AEGs when I'm old enough to play. I also imagine it would be very difficult, and frustrating, but I think I'd enjoy it. I've also read many threads that recommend against being a sniper for newer players, to get an AEG instead for a while.

To get to the point, I'd basically like any tips for a player that wants to get serious about airsoft, and a sniper/DM role afterward. I plan on saving up my money for a sniper rifle eventually, but after seeing alot of points made by other members, I'm a little overwhelmed. I don't want to dish out 300 dollars on an AEG if I'll dislike it. I honestly think I'd be more fit as a sniper once I learn how, and it would be something I'd put alot of time into.

What would you guys suggest I do? I think it'd be best to wait until I'm 16 or 17 years old to buy a quality gun, rather AEG or a BA. Right now, however, I'll continue to play with my 4-5 friends, and improve (hopefully).

So basically, if I want to learn more about taking on a sniper/DM role, what steps should I take toward it? When should I invest in a better gun? Should I wait a while and play some more games before deciding?
-Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2012, 19:52   #2
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

on these forums people are going to tell you to wait and save. Which I agree with... it's not a cheap hobby to get into, and it's easy to get carried away with spending.

The gun is up to you, it's you who will be playing with it, you that has to deal with the ups and downs of owning said gun. You can DM with an AEG, but you can't run and gun with a bolt action. You will get bored, I've seen it. I have played with DMs that sit still for an hour without doing a thing, waiting for that shot, and then the next game they can't sit still for 5 minutes. Keep that in mind.

I would also not spend a dime until you pay REAL games with REAL players. Not your friends with CT guns. You're talking ranges of 65 ft. I'm talking ranges up to and beyond 300 ft. A crappily tuned premium aeg will shoot 70-100ft easy and only take 2-3 shots. You really have no point of reference on how premium well tuned airsoft guns behave. So I don't think you have a clear picture of what would be right for you in 3 years.

I've played with players old and new that think my little smg doesn't shoot very far because they're thinking in terms of real firearms. Well my little smg is tuned to shoot farther than most people's long airsoft rifles.

Save, wait, watch and play when you can. Then decide... 3 years is a long time.
lurkingknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2012, 11:00   #3
BrendanL

Wait till you're 18, don't get a "sniper" as your first gun. If you have read these forums you'd already know this.
BrendanL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2012, 11:55   #4
Ozone06

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Rooster View Post
, and have been interested in eventually taking on a sniper role.
Piece of advise... Don't. That's what 16-18 year old nubs do. Don't be that guy. I personnaly know only one good sniper and he's been working on it for over 10 years.

Going from CT guns to a nice running BA is like, to use a top gear analogy, taking a baby off breast milk and put directly on to Port.

It's a lot of money and quite honestly there are very few uses for a sniper in skrims or sims.

To each thier own. If you wanted to reach out and touch someone look at a DMR. M16 as a base and build up from there with a full auto sub-gun (Mp7 or MP5) or pistol as your primary (G18?)?

Quite honestly get a good AEG so you can go to games THEN start with some projects.

Last edited by Ozone06; October 11th, 2012 at 11:58..
Ozone06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2012, 12:02   #5
phloudernow

Send a message via MSN to phloudernow Send a message via Skype™ to phloudernow
Yeah, as much as video game roles of playing a sniper make a person interested in it, i wouldn't suggest it as being a sniper in Airsoft is completely different. You can't shoot a bigilion miles. you can be out gunned and ranged by anyone with an aeg shooting full auto.

So, just as everyone had said, you need to save up experiment with probably a DMR style. build up a solid DMR AEG and you can typically experiment a role as a sniper.
Custom SAI BLU Glock Build (Timberwolf Base)
Custom Zev Noveske Shooting Team Glock 34
Project Guns
Custom Zev Dragonfly G17 (Project) (In progress)
phloudernow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2012, 12:03   #6
L473ncy

OK First I'd like to say, thank you for being realistic about what you want and all that.

Also good on you for actually having a sense of distance. Most people would be like "OMG dis FAMAS is da best, itz gud up 2 like 300 metres". TBH I'm horrible at estimating distance and I use things like total stations and such all the time.

As far as the DPMS panther goes, it's alright IMO but nowhere near the quality of a more "competitive" rifle like an Aftermath (which internally are CYMA innards). My girlfriend has a DPMS and it's alright for targets in the backyard and such. I got her a bag of .25g BB's and a 7.4V 12C lipo and it's not too too bad but I wouldn't take that out to a day skirmish or outdoor game (maybe indoor not so bad). I highly recommend the King Arms M4 as a starter but I understand that it may not be everyone's cup of tea (if so and you like AK's more then the CYMA or Echo1 AK's aren't too bad).

Other than that I highly recommend you wait until you have a reliable AEG (and turn it to a DMR) before buying a BASR (Bolt Action Sniper Rifle) with the DMR at least you have the option of full auto whereas with a BASR your ROF is tied to how fast you can cock back your bolt and fire. For now against your friends is OK but that versus a real outdoor day game is a whole different ball game but I'm not discouraging you playing with your friends, it's like riding a road or commuter bike isn't the same as riding a mountain bike and doing single tracks, teeter totters, and drops or whatever.

One other thing I'd recommend is getting a .177 cal air rifle and practise your shooting techniques and try to get as small groupings as possible at say 30 feet. It's harder than it looks and not only that but an airsoft gun isn't going to get anywhere near the same accuracy as a pellet rifle like that.

Last edited by L473ncy; October 11th, 2012 at 12:08..
L473ncy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2012, 15:54   #7
-Rooster

Thanks for the quick replies. Its great to get decent replies other than my know-it-all friend saying "DUN BUY A SHNIPER GET AN AEG" and then directing me to some 250 FPS plastic gun.

I honestly think you guys are right (of course you're right) and will probably look into a DMR role first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L473ncy View Post
I highly recommend the King Arms M4 as a starter but I understand that it may not be everyone's cup of tea (if so and you like AK's more then the CYMA or Echo1 AK's aren't too bad).
Would one like this be good? This is from my local army surplus store but I'd have to call them because their prices vary, and the guns they have in the store aren't always listed online.

http://www.surplusig.com/index.php?m...products_id=72

Or perhaps this?

http://www.surplusig.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=106

Quote:
Originally Posted by L473ncy View Post
One other thing I'd recommend is getting a .177 cal air rifle and practise your shooting techniques and try to get as small groupings as possible at say 30 feet. It's harder than it looks and not only that but an airsoft gun isn't going to get anywhere near the same accuracy as a pellet rifle like that.
My dad actually bought one a while ago, but the only drawback is that you need to place a pellet in after each shot. I'll look into it.

Also, how much would I need to upgrade something like an AEG in order to get the range I'd like for a DMR?
-Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2012, 16:04   #8
Danke

Put a dollar a day in a savings account.

On the day you turn 18 you should have more than $1000.00 in the bank.

Then you can look at what is available and will suit your plan.

Working off the current price of an AEG is pointless.

If in the next three years you loose interest you'll still have that K in the bank to spend on cars or girls or whatever.

If you get an AEG now and then try try to sell it as new in 3 years time you might as well burn your money. There are ton of those packages for sale in the classified section right now that no one will touch because either they're outdated or prices have dropped and you can buy new for less.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank