Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Is this fps normal on a stock gun?

:

Doctor's Corner

Old September 24th, 2013, 08:17   #1
Petro

Is this fps normal on a stock gun?

Hi guys,

Picked up a used G&P m4. The guy claims barely over a mag was ever fired through it and he only had it for about a month. Seems like a honest enough guy and the gun looked like it was just out of the box. He says there was never anything done to the gun. Had some initial problems getting a proper chrono reading on it the first couple games I went to as it was misfeeding. Switched from bioval to G&G bb's and those feed fine, everytime now. At the last game I was at, I was getting anywhere between 309-314 fps on the chrono using .25's. That was about 4-5 shots tested. He originally got the gun from evike whose website claims it should shoot 370-410 using .20's so I'm thinking something is up. Took the inner barrel and hopup out last night, covered the holes for the hopup and tried blowing into the barrel to test for airleaks and there were none. Before I rip apart the rest of the gun to take out the gearbox and test that I was wondering if that's a normal range for a stock gun?
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2013, 08:38   #2
Kokanee
Ministry of Peace

Gearbox screws should be loctited from the factory, check the screws if they are no sealed with loctite then the gearbox was opened; perhaps a lower velocity spring was installed.
Kokanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2013, 09:06   #3
venture

Guns sit around in warehouses for long periods and, especially if left in cold areas, the piston head oring can shrink significantly and cause massive airseal loss.

EDIT: I just noticed that your post says "with .25 gram bbs". This converts to 340-350fps with .20 gram bbs so a 20 or 30 fps loss due to airseal loss is quite common.

Another problem: Many people don't know to shoot the gun in semi a few shots before putting it away for long periods of time. You can easily ruin your spring by putting it away after shooting in full auto.

Visit us at :www.ventureairsoft.ca

Last edited by venture; September 24th, 2013 at 09:09..
venture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2013, 09:59   #4
Foxer2373

Unless evike is upgrading them on there own, G&P m4's come from factory shooting that exactly 340-350 with 0.2's. my guess would be Evikes sight is wrong on this unit. If you want it shooting 400+ you need a heavier spring but also the piston and gears need to be done as well or they will break.
Foxer2373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2013, 11:50   #5
Petro

thanks for the heads up Foxer, will slowly start with some upgrades but wanted to make sure the gun was sound first, I'm guessing you're right and the website is wrong
Old September 24th, 2013, 12:00   #6
Stealth
Mr. Silencer

Evike is not a reliable source of information regarding the products they sell.
Stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2013, 12:48   #7
BloodDrinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro View Post
Hi guys,

Picked up a used G&P m4. The guy claims barely over a mag was ever fired through it and he only had it for about a month. Seems like a honest enough guy and the gun looked like it was just out of the box. He says there was never anything done to the gun. Had some initial problems getting a proper chrono reading on it the first couple games I went to as it was misfeeding. Switched from bioval to G&G bb's and those feed fine, everytime now. At the last game I was at, I was getting anywhere between 309-314 fps on the chrono using .25's. That was about 4-5 shots tested. He originally got the gun from evike whose website claims it should shoot 370-410 using .20's so I'm thinking something is up. Took the inner barrel and hopup out last night, covered the holes for the hopup and tried blowing into the barrel to test for airleaks and there were none. Before I rip apart the rest of the gun to take out the gearbox and test that I was wondering if that's a normal range for a stock gun?
just a curious thought?

If you know the guy who you got it from... Ask him if this was a gun he used at an indoor place Like TTAC3 or Ultimate airsoft....

both require Guns to shoot below 351 FPS sooo it might of been a deliberate modification to comply with field rules...

Voting liberal or NDP and signing a petition to ban airsoft is the same thing.
BloodDrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2013, 12:54   #8
Petro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodDrinker View Post
just a curious thought?

If you know the guy who you got it from... Ask him if this was a gun he used at an indoor place Like TTAC3 or Ultimate airsoft....

both require Guns to shoot below 351 FPS sooo it might of been a deliberate modification to comply with field rules...
I did ask him, he said no, he never gamed it anywhere, indoor or out. As I said, he said he barely shot a full mag through it
Old September 24th, 2013, 19:06   #9
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

G&P stock is anywhere from 360-410 stock
They have 360, 380-390 and 410fps springs
Just because someone, even G&P, told customs it was shooting 410, doesn't necessarily mean it's true.

360-370fps is normal for a G&P, depending on the model and year it was built
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner