Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

cheap Smith Optics, Botach??

:

Gear Discussion

Old December 15th, 2016, 14:34   #1
Surnia

cheap Smith Optics, Botach??

Anyone familiar with Botach as a retailer? Are they Legit?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/391065238431
https://www.botach.com/smith-optics-...patible-pouch/

Not sure what's going on, but Smith OTW (fanless) are going for $18.99 USD on their site, and 13.99 USD on Ebay; Foliage green and Dark Tan available as of 2:30pm EST. Checked the Smith Optics website, the Field Kit should be the basic 2 lens kit... or am I reading that wrong?

I mean even if it's a fake, $36 CAD (with shipping) just to check it out... I shouldn't be spending money on airsoft right now, but I'll report back when it arrives O_O

Last edited by Surnia; December 15th, 2016 at 14:38.. Reason: currencies.
Surnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2016, 15:00   #2
Danke

It's most likely they scooped up an over-run from a cancelled contract.
Old December 15th, 2016, 15:05   #3
Datawraith

Saw these a while ago.

Reviews said they were old stock, and that condition wasn't mint (squished frames, foam falling off/degrading, etc). Also, the Botach site doesn't allow it to be shipped to Canada. And I don't trust eBay for something as important as eyepro.

Up to you.
Datawraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2016, 15:38   #4
Surnia

ah, gotcha. I plan on using them as frames anyway, I'm far more interested in the Smith Ignitor lenses. The foam though... replaceable at all?
Old December 15th, 2016, 18:06   #5
Datawraith

That'll work. I'm not sure on if the foam is salvageable; I saw some comments where they superglued the foam back on, and others where they just ripped it all off and ran it without any foam. Guess it's a personal thing and depends on a case-by-case basis of how bad the condition is.
Old December 15th, 2016, 20:35   #6
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

I've ordered from botach before. Ess advances. Turned out to be new old stock. They shipped to me USPS. But this was years ago.
Old December 15th, 2016, 22:43   #7
BenG

Most people rip the foam out of ESS goggles, helps significantly with fogging

Age Verifier ~ Calgary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderCactus View Post
I think that's the direction I should have gone with this one though.
gen1 - I can't see shit
gen2 - I see LOTS of green, but not many people
gen3 - Nobody wants to play with me because I'm an elitist asshole now
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2016, 09:18   #8
Datawraith

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Most people rip the foam out of ESS goggles, helps significantly with fogging
It's not the insulating foam we're talking about; we're talking about the sealing foam that's in contact with your face. It seems some of the OTWs from Botach have that foam falling off, which isn't the greatest thing...
Old December 16th, 2016, 18:18   #9
BenG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datawraith View Post
It's not the insulating foam we're talking about; we're talking about the sealing foam that's in contact with your face. It seems some of the OTWs from Botach have that foam falling off, which isn't the greatest thing...
oooo yeah thats not what you want to hear, but I guess as long as the lens are fine....... 14$ eye pro is, well 14$ eye pro. How much are your eyes worth to you?

Age Verifier ~ Calgary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderCactus View Post
I think that's the direction I should have gone with this one though.
gen1 - I can't see shit
gen2 - I see LOTS of green, but not many people
gen3 - Nobody wants to play with me because I'm an elitist asshole now
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2016, 00:01   #10
Surnia

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
oooo yeah thats not what you want to hear, but I guess as long as the lens are fine....... 14$ eye pro is, well 14$ eye pro. How much are your eyes worth to you?
As much as the frame can hold up to new lenses being installed, and being in decent condition (hoping the face foam is good). I'm more interested in the frame being sound, and picking up a new lens for it immediately.
Old December 18th, 2016, 00:29   #11
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

if you're a gambler, and they're willing to ship, order a set. but you have to keep in mind part of the safety rating is the ability of the frame to distribute and dissipate some of the impact forces coming in. If the frame is compromised by say being too old and the plastic oxidized, then you probably don't want to be trusting them. But you'll never know until you inspect them.
Old December 23rd, 2016, 11:48   #12
Surnia

Update:

Seems like Christmas makes all shipments expedited. I'll have some pictures up later when I get the chance (probably tomorrow).

The frame is still quite soft, doesn't look like there's any age-related degradation. I'm flexing the frame material all over the place and there doesn't appear to be any cracking. Having said that, is there anything in particular to look for?

The face foam is definitely squished. It's packed very tightly in the included Molle pouch, so I assume that's how it was stored for however long it was around. I'm going to let it sit for a few days to see if the more compressed areas come back up, but otherwise it's still quite usable.

For the Asians: Buy asian fit. Regular fit has tons of cheek pressure, and the nose is definitely arched outwards. I called Smith Optics and they said that I can go to any Smith retailer and order replacement lenses, regardless of the product line.
Old December 23rd, 2016, 12:06   #13
devbro

for airsoft purposes? It looks like a decent deal. I picked up a pair of revisions from an soldier in USA. they were clearly used but not abused. So far it is holding up to my expectation. at at 20$USD it sounds like a worth while deal. if it comes with darker lens you can even use it for skiing.
devbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2016, 13:07   #14
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

it'll be fine until it fractures at some point if it's an issue with age. Some plastics will feel more brittle as they age, others might not.
Old December 23rd, 2016, 21:27   #15
Surnia

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkingknight View Post
it'll be fine until it fractures at some point if it's an issue with age. Some plastics will feel more brittle as they age, others might not.
I'll definitely be shooting it in the near future, off face to see how it fares. I don't forsee much issue though, it looks to be in pretty good shape.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion