Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Canon length : does it really matters ?

:

Newbie Tank

Old February 3rd, 2017, 13:16   #1
Dumblins

Question Canon length : does it really matters ?

Hi !

I'm about to buy my first M4 and I'm looking for a mid-range weapon such as Classic Army Delta 10 / Delta 12 or Classic Army KM10 / KM12.

I was wondering what would be a better choice to start with ? I guess "12" is too long for a CQB match thus a "10" would be better suited for a CQB match. What about shot distance ? Does it really make a huge difference ?

Any advice on your part is welcome !

Thank you for helping me out.
Dumblins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2017, 13:27   #2
ox56

Far as i have seen its the skill of the one using it is where it comes into factor but i will say when you go to long games the extra weight will wear you down more and you could always go with a shorter barrel then if you want to change the length there are barrel extender chearper than buying a new rail and outer barrel
ox56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2017, 13:53   #3
devbro

newbie + new gun? Have you rented guns before? if yes then go with one of similar length usually 8" or 10" should be ok for CQB games.

If you feel that you will be playing this for a really long time go for something cheap at first, lancer tactical or valken. then you can see if you actually like the length and use it as a loaner or sell it forward.
VFC M4 MK18
CYMA AK47
TM MP5 First gen Rare find
TM MP5A5 with swordfish 2004
devbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2017, 16:03   #4
Ricochet
How much sand CAN you fit in your vagina!?

If you want to save money buy a G&G. Don't touch anything that says 'Valken' on it. Just my opinion.
Old February 3rd, 2017, 16:14   #5
Dumblins

Thank you all for your replies.

I never heard about Valken so I guess it's better this way ?

I'm mostly looking for Classic Army, G&G for the moment as they have great mid-range quality guns for a good price.

I think I'll go with the 10 since I want to be able to play many types of games with the same weapons.
Old February 3rd, 2017, 18:41   #6
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

length doesn't matter. barrels are not rifled.

g&g cm16 has less compatibility issues than a CA of any make. CAs can be a tiny bit offspec when it comes to replacing parts so it gets frustrating trying to find a combination of parts that work together. For the price of 1 g&g cm and some upgrades, you can use it till you can afford a higher end gun and then keep the g&g as a backup. The only fault would be the g&g's gearbox shell, but that can be fixed so it doesn't crack.
Old February 3rd, 2017, 23:45   #7
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

I'd go G&G for a first gun. Affordable, fairly durable, most importantly; easy to fix.

Barrel length makes absolutely no difference what so ever, and if someone tries to convince you otherwise, they don't know what they're talking about.
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2017, 22:18   #8
BenG

I would recommend G&G as well.

Inner barrel length has relitivily little impact on performance, if anything the longer it is the higher the chance of fouling and the more accuracy you will loose, however on the other end of things if you make it too short you wont accelerate the bb properly, among other things. Around 10" ish inches seems to be optimal.

Age Verifier ~ Calgary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderCactus View Post
I think that's the direction I should have gone with this one though.
gen1 - I can't see shit
gen2 - I see LOTS of green, but not many people
gen3 - Nobody wants to play with me because I'm an elitist asshole now
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2017, 00:39   #9
charlie_hozz

Short?

I have a JG 733, shooting 315 FPS. Stock it has a short barrel for cqb. I'm going to install a longer tbb, install a good hop up (R or Flat) and a silencer to cover it up. Now it's easy to change a inner barrel to go back to cqb and it's a multi gun. Just a suggestion.
charlie_hozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2017, 12:27   #10
Ricochet
How much sand CAN you fit in your vagina!?

There certainly is a minimum effective length, but where some guns can rock a pistol length barrel, others seem to need a CQB or bigger (10"+) to work well. But if you're having performance issues, you should try a hop improvement, upping BB quality and/or weight, nozzle and air seal issues and overall barrel quality before increasing barrel length.
Old February 5th, 2017, 15:27   #11
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie_hozz View Post
I have a JG 733, shooting 315 FPS. Stock it has a short barrel for cqb. I'm going to install a longer tbb, install a good hop up (R or Flat) and a silencer to cover it up. Now it's easy to change a inner barrel to go back to cqb and it's a multi gun. Just a suggestion.
OR
you could just buy a new barrel the same length as your CQB barrel and never have to change the barrel going from CQB to field use.
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2017, 18:18   #12
BenG

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie_hozz View Post
Its good to see that even with the bad economy people still have disposable income to spend on useless things, a longer TBB isnt going to help you at all, im assuming that the barrel you had in mind is something along the lines of a madbul python 6.01, (which by the way is a terrible barrel).

Get a high quality barrel, if you just buy a TBB barrel your wasting your money, prometheus 6.03 or PDI 6.05 if you dont buy either of those for any reason, skip buying a barrel, end of story. regardless of what the overall length of the gun is wether its got a 10" outer barrel or a 22" outer barrel get an 8-14" inner barrel, I always reqomend a sub 10" inner so that you can put it in pretty much any gun length. Anything shorter will have efficiency issues, anything longer is wastful and can run into fouling issues, effeciency is easy to compensate for, fouling is not. Secondy if your hop up chamber isnt broken, and doesnt have major slop in it dont bother replacing it, its literly just a box that holds some bits together. Get a good soft hop up bucking, G&G green, prometheus purple, krytac orange, lonex 50d all good options. Then either instal a flat hop or an Rhop, as im sure pesto will want me to mention if he reads this, an rhop is better then a flat hop because it does not have any front-back motion associated with it, however for the average player both will do just fine. Finally and most importantly shoot good heavy bbs, nothing lighter then .28 you cant benefit from any of this unless you have inertia.

/end rant
que private message from thundercactus telling me I shouldnt tell people how to have good guns

Age Verifier ~ Calgary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderCactus View Post
I think that's the direction I should have gone with this one though.
gen1 - I can't see shit
gen2 - I see LOTS of green, but not many people
gen3 - Nobody wants to play with me because I'm an elitist asshole now

Last edited by BenG; February 5th, 2017 at 18:22..
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2017, 11:30   #13
Dumblins

My brother-in-law as a G&G CM16 I believe. I tried it this last weekend and it was doing great. Weight was good and the materials too. I'll go with your advices since many of you suggested G&G.

Thank you all once again for your time and knowledge !
Old February 6th, 2017, 11:58   #14
JCue23

I own a G&G CM16 carbine and can highly suggest it for a value gun, plus you can always upgrade it as you progress.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank