Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Binocular Alternatives

:

Gear Discussion

Old February 15th, 2017, 16:35   #1
Einstein

Binocular Alternatives

Hi guys, i've search all over ASC and I can't seem to find anything related to this. I was going to buy a pair of binoculars to extend my range of vision when it occured to me that we must keep our eyewear on at all times. This means that traditional binoculars aren't very effect if even at all. I mostly use red dot optics without magnification. So what alternative can I use to see further that will work well with eye protection and that doesn't need to be mounted on my airsoft?
Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2017, 17:16   #2
JohnnyBoy

I've found normal binoculars to work perfectly fine. Generally, unless your eyepro sticks out 3 inches in front of your face, you should be able to gain fairly proper eye relief to get a good picture through the binoculars.
Have you tested your traditional ones with eyepro on?
JohnnyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2017, 17:29   #3
Enthusiast

The obvious answer would be a monocular, it's easier to get your focus with only one eye (with goggles on)
Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2017, 18:34   #4
Drake
E-01

This is what most people use magnified optics for. Binos aren't that practical and wouldn't be needed that often -- most fields either aren't that big or don't have big open areas with clear line of sight anyway. You can get a flip-to-side magnifier if you dont want magnified optics all the time.
Old February 16th, 2017, 09:14   #5
Ricochet
How much sand CAN you fit in your vagina!?

Pretty much what Drake said. If this was something that I'd even recommend, then I'd say a monocular is your best bet regardless, as they are smaller and light weight, which is almost always better for Airsoft. That being said, because of Airsoft's dynamic, it's pretty much a weapon mounted magnifier or nothing. Having a magnifier can be helpful, but really just time to time outside of shooting. For just scanning, you'd find you won't even bother pulling them out to use to just re-pouch them, making them dead-weight. Airsoft is typically too fast of a game for that.

So if your heart is set on doing this, then a monocle is the way to go. If you're really concerned about eye relief, then bring your sunglasses or something with you when you go check them out/before you buy for an idea. But if intelligent magnification on an Airsoft field is what you desire, then a weapon mounted system is best.
Old February 16th, 2017, 20:14   #6
Einstein

I've tried Binoculars with my eyepro on and the pair i have right now just doesn't do it. I'll look into monoculars or maybe a side flip magnification optic i could mount before my red dot.
Old February 17th, 2017, 07:38   #7
WPJ

Don't forget to turn the eye cups down so that they are compatible with flasses
WPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2017, 20:32   #8
Einstein

Anybody with a suggestion of monocular?
Old February 27th, 2017, 21:43   #9
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

You can get a 4-16x zoom monocular with about 3-4" of eye relief. So it'll work great with eyepro on, and extend viewing range by a lot.
Of course, with that much range and eye relief, you'll need some sort of stabilizing platform. Luckily, it can easily be mounted to a rifle. And as an incidental bonus, it happens to have a reticle as well, should you so happen to want to shoot whatever you're looking at.
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion