Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Aftermath Lycaon MP5 painted *56k you know the drill*

:

Airsoft Guns Discussion

Old August 15th, 2008, 00:59   #1
Sanox

Send a message via MSN to Sanox
Aftermath Lycaon MP5 painted *56k you know the drill*

Was bored, so I decided to paint my clear Lycaon that I got from Bass Pro. The original one was:
1. Clear
2. Green
3. Had "safe" "semi" "auto" or something written on it instead of the traditional bullet pictures.

And now to the pictures:

This is how it looked originaly.

Now everything but the receiver painted.

Body's clean except for that one red dot which I have no idea how it got there... Thinking maybe the spray paint chipped off but it shouldn't, it's a strong mafaka.

It's abit hard to tell from these pics but I put on some electrical tape surrounding a rectangular peice of electrical tape to create just the border lines of what the silk screening does and basicaly just painted over that, waited for it to dry, peeled off and threw out the old tape, the paint gets under it and it's impossible to make straight lines anymore, I learned it the hard way.

This is the end result when I painted on the bullets. I followed same technique, cut out peices of electrical tape and pretty much traced it.

And a close up.

Final thoughts:
Umm... Well there's not much to say, I'm sure there's an easier way of doing it. I used the black primer spray from Games Workshop, the kind used on the warhammer models, Blood Red and White Skull (read: red and white) paint from GW as well, just had it as it serves both purposes. Up close it looks not as nice as it does from far, yes I could put more effort into it, yes I could fix it up, no I don't have the patience, I'd leave it the way it is. It looks good if you dont stare at it up close for very long and adds abit of feel to realism.

You gota admit it looks better than the original clear/green one.
Sanox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2008, 01:00   #2
pusangani
Official ASC "Dumb Ass"

well done Sanox! very clean
pusangani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2008, 01:01   #3
KNIVEZS

Nicely done

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoSeven
Tip of the day: When removing a chain of anal beads from your lovers rectum. Do not pull them out as if you were attempting to start a lawn mower.

sexy time
KNIVEZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2008, 01:03   #4
Aquamarine
PanSexual

Send a message via MSN to Aquamarine Send a message via Yahoo to Aquamarine Send a message via Skype™ to Aquamarine
Very nice there man. After the first couple pictures, I was afraid you weren't going to paint the body, heh heh
Old August 15th, 2008, 01:06   #5
Sanox

Heh, thanks for the positive comments, you guys made my day! err.. night... And yea I just didn't take a pic of the body alone, not sure why, decided to show the clear body with the rest painted to show the difference between the new one and the old one.
Old August 15th, 2008, 01:08   #6
pusangani
Official ASC "Dumb Ass"

did u use a stencil or something for the selector markings?
Old August 15th, 2008, 01:13   #7
Sanox

Quote:
Originally Posted by pusangani View Post
did u use a stencil or something for the selector markings?
Not exactly, I took electrical tape and cut out peices of it to make the lines, for example I cut out a small rectange to put in the middle of where "safe" would be, then put more electrical tape around it with a 0.5 mm or so spacing and painted over it.

I probably should've used one so the bullets wouldn't look like they're hand drawn but eh, live and learn.

Last edited by Sanox; August 15th, 2008 at 01:15..
Old August 15th, 2008, 01:14   #8
pusangani
Official ASC "Dumb Ass"

ahh very inventive, good job man it looks great!
Old August 15th, 2008, 01:23   #9
pawscal
Looks great!, I never like the way HK did not close the "box" on the full auto markings...
Old August 15th, 2008, 01:26   #10
Sanox

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawscal View Post
Looks great!, I never like the way HK did not close the "box" on the full auto markings...
I always thought the open box symbolizes continuation. A semi has a closed box and one bullet in it symbolizing only on shot at a time, the burst one I saw somewhere symbolizes three shots in one pull, auto is just auto, so its continuous.
Old August 15th, 2008, 01:30   #11
gabe_guitarded

They don't close it because you can fire more than 6 rounds on full auto.* Sanox, Bass Pro in Vaughan Mills stocks the Lycaon still right? If it's completely Marui compatible I might look into it. How does it perform? Great paint job and markings by the way! The black is really smooth.

* EDIT: Oops, I took too long to post that.
gabe_guitarded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2008, 01:39   #12
jamilsaleem

awsome job man, dosnt look bad at all...
hope you dont start having chiping problems, a few of the guys i know did something like this but it started chipping after a while, but if could be the quality of paint...
Old August 15th, 2008, 01:39   #13
Sanox

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabe_guitarded View Post
They don't close it because you can fire more than 6 rounds on full auto.* Sanox, Bass Pro in Vaughan Mills stocks the Lycaon still right? If it's completely Marui compatible I might look into it. How does it perform? Great paint job and markings by the way! The black is really smooth.

* EDIT: Oops, I took too long to post that.
I bought this one online for the Bass Pro closest to me didn't have the Lycaon, only the Kraken and some other crap that was gravity fed. This one's shipped from US from their site.

OK heres what I saw when I got it:
- It was missing the screw to adjust rear sight.
- The sling/pin that holds the front sight is wobly as hell and falls out if your gun tilts any more than 1 degree to the left, I had to put some tape on it to make it stick in there.
- The sight is way off, I had to figure out a special way to look through the rear sight and draw two lines on the front sight to come even close to hitting the target in the right spot, maybe it's the sight, maybe it's the barrel.
- Some screws were skipping the stripped thread in the clear plastic, upon assembly it was probably over tightened (blame Chinese on that one).
- The clipy thingy on the flash supresor was broken so the only way to make it stay in place was to twist it to the point where it's tightest before it skips off.
- You can forget about putting the sling through the hole on the stock, there's way too much plastic around the hole.

Can't think of anything else right now but I'll say this, the gun is good for it's price considering you're going to modify half of it. Haven't tested it out on the field yet so can't say how it operates in med-long range.

If you want a budget gun get the kraken, if you want a budget MP5 get this one, but can't recommend it 100% unless you are willing to accept the fact that it will break soon and will need alot of fixing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamilsaleem View Post
awsome job man, dosnt look bad at all...
hope you dont start having chiping problems, a few of the guys i know did something like this but it started chipping after a while, but if could be the quality of paint...
Yea I hope so to, but from what I understand the paint I used had glue in it to help it stick, atleast that's what one of the dudes at GW told me so maybe there's a difference between the Canadian Tire black paints and this one.

Last edited by Sanox; August 15th, 2008 at 01:42..
Old August 15th, 2008, 01:43   #14
gabe_guitarded

Thanks Sanox, I'll either go for the Kraken or a JG M4A1. Probably the M4 because G&P just released the Canadian body, and I found the Army Code SFW outer barrel. Should make a nice C8 if I finish it.
gabe_guitarded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2008, 01:45   #15
Sanox

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabe_guitarded View Post
Thanks Sanox, I'll either go for the Kraken or a JG M4A1. Probably the M4 because G&P just released the Canadian body, and I found the Army Code SFW outer barrel. Should make a nice C8 if I finish it.
Nice, good luck with that. I bought this gun mainly to learn, experiment and upgrade, never expected it to be good out the box.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion