Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Upgrades for TM Glock 17

:

Upgrades & Modifications

Old April 19th, 2010, 16:07   #1
juicy

Upgrades for TM Glock 17

I'm going to be getting a LNIB TM Glock of my own (yikes, juicy with a Glock? I know...), and I'm just wondering if you've had any experience with these.

Any preliminary thoughts on upgrades? Of course, I'll run it stock for a while, but I was thinking of just slapping a Nine Ball rubber and Nine Ball Dyna in there and that's it. Now, there are a few parts out there that I don't understand (they aren't readily available for Hi-Capa's or 1911's), such as a Guarder steel trigger lever-thing and a variety of reinforced mag catches... any thoughts on the necessity of these? AFAIK, the recoil guide rod is already metal, correct?

And finally, from my limited knowledge of actual TM's, a TM Glock slide should be able to take the battering that propane will put it though, correct? I'm also slightly concerned with the mag catch notch on the slide wearing down, like on the Hi-Capa's... is this an issue with any of your own TM Glock's?

Thanks in advance.
juicy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2010, 01:44   #2
blade_x23

I'd say get a metal mag catch (if the TM doesn't come with one) because the magazine will eventually shave off the plastic mag catch and make the mag low, which will then not let the slide catch to function properly. Have had that sorta issue with KSC glocks where the plastic one shaved down too much and after puttin a metal one in, works fantastic. You might want to consider a metal slide as well, as I've found glocks don't take quite as much punishment before the slide cracks (which usually occurs near the back of the slide) simply because there isn't as much plastic to reinforce the plastic slide on a glock compared to a hi-capa.
Old April 21st, 2010, 02:04   #3
juicy

Good to know, thanks Blade. Metal mag catch is a yes, then. I'm going to order a spare TM barrel/slide set, in that case. I'm feeling like I should have at least one pistol that won't suffer horrendous cool down during the winter...
Old April 21st, 2010, 04:27   #4
blade_x23

May want to save up and get a metal slide/barrel for the glock, but it will probably require a better recoil spring n stuff, but in the end it's more satisfying and you don't have stuff breakin on ya. What you could look into is maybe gettin a KSC system 7 or a KWA NS2 pistol cause they're pretty good when it comes to cool down in comparison to standard GBB's from what i've heard. Right now Uncompany has PGC slides (comes with metal barrel) for 76US+Shipping if you want to consider a metal slide/barrel.

From what I've seen the slide catch area on plastic glock slides is fairly durable, but if it does wear down, atleast it's not too hard to fix, just take an exacto knife and shave it off till it's square again.

Last edited by blade_x23; April 21st, 2010 at 04:30..
blade_x23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2010, 05:13   #5
juicy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade_x23 View Post
May want to save up and get a metal slide/barrel for the glock, but it will probably require a better recoil spring n stuff, but in the end it's more satisfying and you don't have stuff breakin on ya.
Hmm, perhaps. I've never really been a fan of heavy recoil springs though - the increased gas consumption and less felt recoil... I dunno, I seem to recall most stock TM's being pretty consistent in terms of the hammer spring stuff.

Quote:
What you could look into is maybe gettin a KSC system 7 or a KWA NS2 pistol cause they're pretty good when it comes to cool down in comparison to standard GBB's from what i've heard.
Yeah, I had a KWA NS2 - wasn't pleased. Sold both USP's already. Besides, I'm one to tinker and throw a few aftermarket parts in there - something that KSC is tough to do (to tinker with, that is). Plastic slide = less cooldown and more shots per fill of gas... sort of the same benefits of the KSC System 7/KWA NS2 gas system.

Quote:
[...] From what I've seen the slide catch area on plastic glock slides is fairly durable, but if it does wear down, atleast it's not too hard to fix, just take an exacto knife and shave it off till it's square again.
That's what I was wondering about - oh well. Thanks for letting me know that the slide will be wearing down there. I'll be sling shot racking the slide instead of using the slide stop button thing to release the slide...
Old April 21st, 2010, 08:59   #6
RacingManiac

TM Glock gets better gas mileage for me than the Hi-Caps, they shoot with less fps but they also run for quite a bit considering the smaller mag than Hi-Capa. I can usually get over 40 rounds per fill running steel slide and 200% spring.

The trigger lever is the connector between the Glock trigger and the hammer/striker mechanism. If you take off the slide its the spring loaded metal link on the right side of the gun. Its basically the glock equivalent of trigger bow/stirrup of 1911/Hi-Capa. I haven't see the need for upgrading mine so I don't have that yet...

There are also loading nozzle upgrades available for it as well, but running propane exclusively I have not blown the stock one yet.

My Arnies' Album
My PBase Album
Custom Pistol Whore...
RacingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2010, 13:32   #7
juicy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
TM Glock gets better gas mileage for me than the Hi-Caps, they shoot with less fps but they also run for quite a bit considering the smaller mag than Hi-Capa. I can usually get over 40 rounds per fill running steel slide and 200% spring.

The trigger lever is the connector between the Glock trigger and the hammer/striker mechanism. If you take off the slide its the spring loaded metal link on the right side of the gun. Its basically the glock equivalent of trigger bow/stirrup of 1911/Hi-Capa. I haven't see the need for upgrading mine so I don't have that yet...

There are also loading nozzle upgrades available for it as well, but running propane exclusively I have not blown the stock one yet.
RM, 400 rounds WITH a STEEL slide???? You're shitting me, right?

... Holy craaaap. I'm impressed.
Old April 21st, 2010, 14:30   #8
RacingManiac

40 round...not 400..lol

But yeah, I was kinda surprised since knowing how shitty 1911 does with a metal kit.

My Arnies' Album
My PBase Album
Custom Pistol Whore...
Old April 21st, 2010, 14:38   #9
jamuke

get a tb inner barrel..I happily used my glock for CAPS with very good accuracy( I had a PDI)

I would advise against an enhanced trigger spring, I had 2 pistons snap at the back (like the blow back unit in the hi capa) and these are NOT easy to find. neither is a stock non enhanced trigger spring( though I ran across a site rcently that had them for $5, of course I forget the site)

I found for slide and barrel that the gaurder tolerances were a little loose in the slide fit on the frame rails and outer barrel/slide fit could have been tighter

My PGC was nice and they are not that expensive

I also had the upgraded mag catch and trigger bar etc on one glock, the other stock one did not seem to suffer any from being stock.

however with the new mag catch it takes a bit for the part to wear in, occasionally the mag would not just drop out..a little gun movement would do to drop it ..eventually this will stop happening

Last edited by jamuke; April 21st, 2010 at 14:44..
jamuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2010, 17:48   #10
juicy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
40 round...not 400..lol

But yeah, I was kinda surprised since knowing how shitty 1911 does with a metal kit.
LOL, my bad. Wishful thinking there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamuke View Post
get a tb inner barrel..I happily used my glock for CAPS with very good accuracy( I had a PDI)

I would advise against an enhanced trigger spring, I had 2 pistons snap at the back (like the blow back unit in the hi capa) and these are NOT easy to find. neither is a stock non enhanced trigger spring( though I ran across a site rcently that had them for $5, of course I forget the site)

I found for slide and barrel that the gaurder tolerances were a little loose in the slide fit on the frame rails and outer barrel/slide fit could have been tighter

My PGC was nice and they are not that expensive

I also had the upgraded mag catch and trigger bar etc on one glock, the other stock one did not seem to suffer any from being stock.

however with the new mag catch it takes a bit for the part to wear in, occasionally the mag would not just drop out..a little gun movement would do to drop it ..eventually this will stop happening
I try to avoid TB's if possible... Might be worth it for the Glock as the stock muzzle velocity seems to be lower than I had hoped for on propane.

Not quite sure what a "trigger spring" is... something like a hammer spring or what? Or is it a trigger spring from a spring kit - I was thinking of getting one of those as I've been very happy with the 3 I've had and used so far.

Yeah... screw Guarder. Will go PGC when the time comes that I finally decided that I'm going to get a metal slide/barrel combination for my Glock. Any further thoughts on this?

What mag catch did you get?
Old April 21st, 2010, 17:51   #11
jamuke

sorry, meant Hammer spring
i had guarder upgrade parts

also had the SD magwell, comes with a grip plug and and lanyard bar

Last edited by jamuke; April 21st, 2010 at 17:54..
jamuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2010, 21:03   #12
juicy

How were the Guarder parts? My limited experience with Guarder GBB parts tells me to be wary of them all, except for springs - those are decent enough.

I'm actually getting a TM Glock 17 "Custom" - the one with an FDE frame, bolt-on thumb rest, magwell, and mag with long baseplate. That takes care of most of the external crap I would want to throw on it, anyway.
Old April 21st, 2010, 21:44   #13
RacingManiac

I usually only buy Guarder for springs, though the their G17 and G26 steel slides were gem that is now out of production(the only Guarder slides that were not cast). Their steel spring guide is OK. I don't like their aftermarket Glock frame, mine broke, and I am back to running the TM frame. But some apparently have better luck than I do. Use at your own risk I guess.

My Arnies' Album
My PBase Album
Custom Pistol Whore...
Old April 21st, 2010, 22:03   #14
juicy

Whoa, Guarder made slides out of steel AND they weren't cast? Amazing... I wish I'd gotten into airsoft earlier and thus I could have seen that before.

As to a steel spring guide... meh. How's the stock TM one? I understand that it's metal, but I'm not sure about that.

As to the stock TM springs, how consistent are the hammer strikes?
Old April 21st, 2010, 23:16   #15
hattrick
NAAZ's #1 fan!

Send a message via MSN to hattrick
6000+ rounds only upgrade is an airsoft surgon metal barrel / slide. 3 failures. (all ammo related)

note : have never de-greased / maintained / anything. (asides from dropping it a dozen times)

maybe not from this .. and probably not today... but I assure you, you will die
hattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications