Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Drop leg question

:

Gear Discussion

Old June 9th, 2010, 10:37   #1
georche

Drop leg question

Hey guys, just a quick question....does anybody have this or similar drop leg holster? I'm worried about it wobbling too much when running....the most annoying thing ever. My current one shakes like there is no tomorrow....I don't want to buy this one if it's gonna shake and wobble like crazy....any insight appreciated!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cqc_1.JPG (33.7 KB, 15 views)
georche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2010, 10:54   #2
Loathing

It's a SERPA drop leg holster, I have one and it's pretty damn good. No wobble or sliding on it at all. Once you get used to it too, it becomes very easy to draw and holster your sidearm without having to look at where your sticking it.

I'd say and get the real one though, not the replica if you are going to buy one.

Last edited by Loathing; June 9th, 2010 at 10:59..
Loathing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2010, 10:59   #3
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

Most problems with drop leg rigs have more to do with the user than the gear.

Even a cheap drop leg rig will be stable if worn in the right place.

about 90% of people I see wearing drop leg rigs wear it far too low on the leg.

The center of mass ( or just a little above) must be placed at the point of insertion of the hip joint. This would put the grip of most pistols right at the hip joint.

Hike that rig up ,, the top strap will go right around the top of the thigh.. as high as possible .. and you will find it will not flop.

2nd point.. drop leg is a bad choice for field play.. everyone I have ever known to loose or damage a pistol in play was running a drop leg rig.
Toronto Downtown Age Verifier

OPERATION WOODSMAN

If the tongue could cut as the sword does, the dead would be infinite
Brian McIlmoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2010, 11:11   #4
GSK88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian McIlmoyle View Post
Most problems with drop leg rigs have more to do with the user than the gear.

Even a cheap drop leg rig will be stable if worn in the right place.

about 90% of people I see wearing drop leg rigs wear it far too low on the leg.

The center of mass ( or just a little above) must be placed at the point of insertion of the hip joint. This would put the grip of most pistols right at the hip joint.

Hike that rig up ,, the top strap will go right around the top of the thigh.. as high as possible .. and you will find it will not flop.

2nd point.. drop leg is a bad choice for field play.. everyone I have ever known to loose or damage a pistol in play was running a drop leg rig.

Excellent advice. My $20 dropleg AND my real SERPA both stay in place with zero wobble once adjusted properly.

Edit: The SERPA I have is the exact same setup as in your pic, and once adjusted it's very comfortable and stable.
Old June 9th, 2010, 11:35   #5
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Send a message via MSN to CDN_Stalker
Good advice Brian. What is standard is to set the holster so the grip of the pistol is right at hand level for fast and easy access. One shouldn't have to lean over to draw the sidearm.

Regarding the wobbling while running, yes, is annoying, but not as annoying as going prone and finding your holster has moved to the front of your thigh, then getting up form prone and having to run. That is fucked!
CDN_Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2010, 12:02   #6
Gerkraz

Careful not to pinch your testicles with the top strap of your drop leg.

Not that I know from experience... >.>
Gerkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2010, 12:20   #7
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Send a message via MSN to CDN_Stalker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerkraz View Post
Careful not to pinch your testicles with the top strap of your drop leg.

Not that I know from experience... >.>
Watch out for zippers too. Lol
CDN_Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2010, 16:54   #8
Loathing

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN_Stalker View Post
Watch out for zippers too. Lol
Ow...

Any of you how good the mag holders for that rig are? Don't think I've ever seen anyone with one of them on theirs.
Old June 9th, 2010, 17:04   #9
13Fido13

The mag holders from Blackhawk! work amazingly well. The CQC brand are the ones that I use. The only issue comes with the fact that when shooting you often hold your pistol with your right hand. But.... you reload with your left hand. Imagine you need to reload but your mags are on your right hip. You now need to reach across to grab one that is halfway down your leg.

Congrats, you have just been shot.

I think the panels are more suited to attaching a knife holder or flashlight holder or something of the sort. Something that will be used when you are not using your pistol.

Just my 2c

Level 2 BA Certified
13Fido13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2010, 17:11   #10
Loathing

I was thinking of eventually having a knife on there along with one mag, as an "Oh shit/Just in case" type of thing. I find it more comfortable and more accessible to have my pistol mags on the left side of my vests, or to the left side of the admin area on your chest.

And hopefully I can find someplace in Canada to find these, ordering from Blackhawk! is a bitch. Fuck UPS.
Old June 9th, 2010, 17:18   #11
juicy

Brian's nailed it. Any drop leg if fitted properly won't wobble. Serpa platform is good on its own with those two belt strap thingies. Rubber in leg straps helps as well, so does the solid platform bit. Combine all of those, and you have an extremely solid platform that won't be moving around on you at all. Do note that my clone CQC platform tends to squeak at the moving joints on the belt loop things - I fixed that by affixing them in place and thus disabling the rotation.

Not sure about the 2nd part, I haven't been in airsoft gaming long enough... though, I've never had my clone serpa (ebay-banned type with the rubberized straps, thus the higher quality one) release on it's own for my MEU. If you have doubts about your holster accidentally opening, get a pistol lanyard... I ran around with those when I still had traditional thumb break holsters and ended up dragging a USP with me for a good 10 minutes before someone noticed (still, a dirty sidearm is better than a lost one). If you're paranoid enough, you could run a lanyard and a CQC clone/real holster as well.
juicy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2010, 18:05   #12
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13Fido13 View Post
The mag holders from Blackhawk! work amazingly well. The CQC brand are the ones that I use. The only issue comes with the fact that when shooting you often hold your pistol with your right hand. But.... you reload with your left hand. Imagine you need to reload but your mags are on your right hip. You now need to reach across to grab one that is halfway down your leg.

Congrats, you have just been shot.

I think the panels are more suited to attaching a knife holder or flashlight holder or something of the sort. Something that will be used when you are not using your pistol.

Just my 2c
Generally , ammo carried on subloads ( on thigh rigs) is not designed to be drawn from while fighting. when you get a break in the fight.. move the ammo in the subload up to your primary reload pouches ( for most people these are the ones on the left side of their belt or rig)
I'm constantly replenishing my go to pouch from the ammo carried in less accessible pouches while on the move or in breaks in the fight.

it is not really possible to do an effective reload from a subload pouch on the right leg.. less so if you are prone..
Toronto Downtown Age Verifier

OPERATION WOODSMAN

If the tongue could cut as the sword does, the dead would be infinite
Brian McIlmoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2010, 18:42   #13
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

Another big issue I see with droplegs is weight mounted too far off the platform. IE dump pouches, triple mag pouches, or large holsters. The closer the weight is to your hip, the less likely it will be to want to rotate around your leg.
A simple warfighter tactical dropleg platform with a pouch type holster works really well, but serpas are good too
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2010, 21:40   #14
Aegiis
Sgt. Pitbull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loathing View Post
I was thinking of eventually having a knife on there along with one mag, as an "Oh shit/Just in case" type of thing. I find it more comfortable and more accessible to have my pistol mags on the left side of my vests, or to the left side of the admin area on your chest.

And hopefully I can find someplace in Canada to find these, ordering from Blackhawk! is a bitch. Fuck UPS.
Amen to that. Try www.prefair.ca He is an official Blackhawk retailer, what he does not have in stock he can order for you. Prices are not that bad.

www.anvairsoft.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kull View Post
Aegiis ?* raison
Aegiis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2010, 22:58   #15
13Fido13

You're other option is lapolicegear.com I enjoy their website for products.

Level 2 BA Certified
13Fido13 is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion