Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

My G&G is very loud?

:

Doctor's Corner

Old October 16th, 2012, 19:03   #1
Jdens

My G&G is very loud?

Hello,

I'm quite a bit of a noob and as I was test firing some new mags through my G&G M4 Commando, I realized it was very loud. I understand that all AEGs are by nature noisy things but I don't have much of a reference point for how loud they should feasibly be. Video audio doesn't really do much justice in terms of the real noise of these guns, so I don't really find that's a good reference to base my knowledge off of.

The gun itself isn't really screechy or whiny, it's just very loud. I can easily hear the "pop" of air between each shot (I was firing mostly on semi but this was present on full auto as well) which is quite loud, as well of the slight whine the gun makes at the beginning of each shot.

Are G&Gs known for this? Is something possibly wrong with my gun? How loud are most stock AEGs? Like I said, I don't really have much of a reference for how loud my gun should be, so I'm in the dark here.

Thanks,

-JDens

PS:

Sub Question; My trigger keeps locking in semi-auto fire, and looking through the clear polymer I can see that this little metal switch that moves with the selector doesn't fully move from safe to semi sometimes, which seems to be the problem. Is this it and if so, how do I fix it?

Last edited by Jdens; October 19th, 2012 at 22:34.. Reason: added sub question
Jdens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2012, 19:05   #2
Styrak

Send a message via MSN to Styrak
It's an AEG, they make noise. They aren't quiet, if that's what you were wondering.

Some are louder than other depending on the brand/type of gun/build, etc.

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2012, 19:10   #3
Jdens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styrak View Post
It's an AEG, they make noise. They aren't quiet, if that's what you were wondering.

Some are louder than other depending on the brand/type of gun/build, etc.
No no I know that AEGs make noise haha I've never thought they were quiet lol. I just don't really know how loud is too loud, if that makes sense? I suppose it's kind of a silly question ops:
Old October 16th, 2012, 19:57   #4
Kozzie
a.k.a. Greedy

The proper "loudness" of an AEG is very difficult to convey over the internets on a forum.

G&G's aren't inherently louder than any other AEG. But an AEG will be an AEG and the piston slamming into the cylinder head does make some racket. Try comparing yours against another AEG. Chances are yours is just fine and there's nothing to worry about.

Firing your gun in person will sound much louder than a gun being fired in a youtube video because the mechbox is right beside your head.

Last edited by Kozzie; October 16th, 2012 at 20:01..
Kozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2012, 20:02   #5
Jdens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozzie View Post
The proper "loudness" of an AEG is very difficult to convey over the internets on a forum.

G&G's aren't inherently louder than any other AEG. But an AEG will be an AEG and the piston slamming into the cylinder head does make some racket. Try comparing yours against another AEG. Chances are yours is just fine and there's nothing to worry about.
Haha I suppose I'm just worried over nothing! Once I get the chance to I'll be sure to do that the gun hasn't been opened up aside from taking the motor out when I tried to disassemble the gun, so I doubt anything would be wrong with it realistically. Thanks for the help anyway!
Old October 16th, 2012, 22:19   #6
MaciekA

Nearly all AEGs are loud out of the box, and this is nothing to be worried about, but just maybe may become your gateway drug into tinkering with your gearbox. No matter which AEG you have, they can ALWAYS be made dramatically quieter and more pleasant to the ear, with very simple changes that usually don't cost very much. These changes often mean that the reliability and overall performance of the gun has improved as well.

The reality of the airsoft consumer market, the prices it will bear, and the battery connectors it will use, dictates that most stock AEGs, even very expensive ones, will end up with a very loose shim job (gear whine), a slow motor with Tamiya battery connectors feeding it juice (a longer time listening to that whine), and no sorbothane or other highly-absorbant materials (to muffle the piston snap).

My G&Gs have been very loud out of the box, but overall, I can tell you that after looking at the guts of many guns, G&G guns are excellent machines overall and have lots of potential if you want to tune and tweak them.

Now you know

MaciekA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2012, 20:27   #7
Jdens

Thanks a bunch MaciekA! That's reassuring really reassuring, I appreciate it I want to open my gearbox up eventually I just need to get a long enough screwdriver to remove the buffer to actually get to the darn thing!

Also, as a sub question just to avoid making a whole new thread about this; My trigger keeps locking in semi-auto fire, and looking through the clear polymer I can see that this little metal switch that moves with the selector doesn't fully move from safe to semi sometimes, which seems to be the problem. Is this it and if so, how do I fix it?
Old October 19th, 2012, 20:35   #8
The Chad
formerly LoveMyStubby

Adjust the worm screw at the bottom of the motor in your motor plate until the "whining" stops.
The Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2012, 22:40   #9
SuperHog

If you are dry firing in your house, then it is loud. If you shoot bb's through, it will be much more quiet. And if you shoot it outdoors, it will be even quieter.

If you want really quiet, try a sniper rifle.
SuperHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2012, 23:18   #10
BennyBoy

take it in to a brick and mortar and have them hear it?
BennyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2012, 09:19   #11
MaciekA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdens View Post
My trigger keeps locking in semi-auto fire, and looking through the clear polymer I can see that this little metal switch that moves with the selector doesn't fully move from safe to semi sometimes, which seems to be the problem. Is this it and if so, how do I fix it?
Trigger assembly problems can be tricky to fix but being able to see through the body is a useful way to debug it.

One possible theory here is that the safety latch is getting stuck on the bulge near the shaft of the trigger itself (heh heh heh.. "bulge near the shaft"). I like to sand the bulge down sometimes when I see this problem:

This is just one possible reason it would be doing this. Another would be that wiring is holding it back, etc. Often when I run into an issue like yours I've simply made an error during reassembly and I can fix it just by taking apart the gun and putting it back together again.

Now you know

Old October 20th, 2012, 12:38   #12
Jdens

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaciekA View Post
One possible theory here is that the safety latch is getting stuck on the bulge near the shaft of the trigger itself (heh heh heh.. "bulge near the shaft"). I like to sand the bulge down sometimes when I see this problem:

This is just one possible reason it would be doing this. Another would be that wiring is holding it back, etc. Often when I run into an issue like yours I've simply made an error during reassembly and I can fix it just by taking apart the gun and putting it back together again.
I'm not super sure that it's getting stuck on the latch but I could be wrong. It's like this small silver metal piece that moves with the fire selector that kind of sticks between safe and semi, so when I change to semi the gun is still on safe.

I'm almost certain the problem arose after the last time I disassembled the gun, so I'll try disassembling it and then reassembling it to see if I can correct the problem If not, then the first time I go to a game I'll have someone check out the gun in person because I'm rubbish at explaining things over the internet XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperHog View Post
If you are dry firing in your house, then it is loud. If you shoot bb's through, it will be much more quiet. And if you shoot it outdoors, it will be even quieter.
I'm firing BBs outdoors and it seems quite loud. From the answers I've gotten though I don't think there's anything wrong with the gun, it may just be me being overly worried haha.
Old October 20th, 2012, 18:16   #13
MaciekA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdens View Post
I'm firing BBs outdoors and it seems quite loud. From the answers I've gotten though I don't think there's anything wrong with the gun, it may just be me being overly worried haha.
You probably just have a critical ear... To my ears most stock guns sound like crap and require a little tuning out of the box.

Now you know

ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner