Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Decisions decisions decisions

:

Airsoft Guns Discussion

Old October 22nd, 2014, 01:17   #1
GodsLt

Decisions decisions decisions

Hey guys! I hope everyone started off their week pretty well!
For starters, I'm brand new to the world of airsoft (I'm hopefully going to meet up with optix on thursday to get AV'ed and to play my first match )

I've been researching a lot into which gun I should buy first.
My budget is around $219 for the gun alone, $360 for a full kit (mask, mags, bb's, smart charger and gun)

I originally set out to buy:
1-Echo1 Troy MRF-C
3-M4 130rd midcap mags
1-tenergy universal smart charger
1-5000ct Elite force 0.25g bio bb´s
1-Tactical crusader Sports Goggles (I wear glasses)

Then the MRF-C at toronto airsoft went out of stock, thus I came up with this from airsoftdepot.ca:
1-CYMA MP5K-PDW(metal)
3-MP5 100rd Midcaps
1-tenergy universal smart charger
1-2000ct BBBastard bio 0.25g bb´s
1-Low profile rail claw mount
1-Marui face mask with fan (Due to glasses)

That too went out of stock...so now I'm with this:
1-G&G CM18 MOD1 DST (does it come with a battery?)
3-DYTAC 120rd Invader Mag - M4 AEG (Black)
1-Venom 8.4V 1600mah nunchuck battery
1-Tenergy universal smart charger
1-2000ct BBBastard Bio 0.25g bb's
1-Marui face mask with fan (again, I wear glasses)

The reason my order has changed from one iteration to another is due to changing stores (free shipping on orders 300+) etc.

Today i stopped by gorilla surplus and boy was I surprised. The guy there proved very helpful, talkative and extremely attentive. I mentioned that I had never shot a bb gun before (other than 2$ flea market springers), and vaguely mentioned that my dream gun included a grenade launcher, Acog sight and beta-c-mag.

And guess what? HE ACTUALLY HELPED ME PUT IT TOGETHER! He loaded a couple of mags and 40mm shells with bb's, hooked the CM18 to a battery, and attached an acog to the rifle. Then he let me rip to some targets in a makeshift indoor range. IT WAS BEAUTIFUL. I left with a smile on my face.

So now, I'm inlove with the CM18 (despite the odd color), but it's a bit over my budget. Any input from you guys, regarding my previous builds will be greatly appreciated. opcorn:

Last edited by GodsLt; October 22nd, 2014 at 23:20..
GodsLt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2014, 01:41   #2
pusangani
Official ASC "Dumb Ass"

Buy the bbs locally, the weight will really up your shipping cost.
Old October 22nd, 2014, 01:50   #3
Ricochet
How much sand CAN you fit in your vagina!?

- Turnigy nanotech lipos are a good move, but stay at 1200 mah as bigger may be too long or wide for many stocks, grips, etc.

- Imax B6 smart/balance charger is the only worthy charger in my opinion. I know I'm not alone in this, but luckily it is very affordable.

- M203 grenade launchers are cool, but are really just extra weight. I'd recommend looking towards a good pistol or secondary first.

- the King Arms Colt M4 is a very good place to start. It's solid, reliable and can be easily turned into whatever variant you want over time. Usually starts around $250 - $300, which makes it the cheapest and well built airsoft gun on the market.

- First upgrades on your gun should be hop-up, barrel, piston assembly (nozzle, spring, etc). After that focus on finely tuning internals for performance and reliability. A gun that shoots straight, far and will last is always the priority. Especially if on a budget.

- ACOG sights can work well, but get one with a doctors sight attached in case of CQC situations. Also a variable zoom or a max of 2x or 3x is preferable in airsoft, as more may be too much zoom to be effective.

- Get a reliable brand of magazine to avoid short life spans and feeding issues. Low caps seem to perform better and longer than mid caps in many cases, but 60 - 70 rounds per mag is usually more than enough regardless.

- before going all tacticool with your gun I'd recommend having a plan for quality gear. BDUs, boots, and proper weight distributing gear is key for successful gaming.

- BB Bastard makes a hell of a BB, but most fields require eco-friendly rounds here. BB Bastard bios are also great, and available locally. For flight stability don't go lighter than a 0.28g round.

- Unfortunately there is no real one stop shop for everything airsoft, especially in Canada. Although many local stores have some good products, their prices are often much higher than other Canadian retailers.

Last edited by Ricochet; October 22nd, 2014 at 01:55..
Ricochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2014, 02:58   #4
GodsLt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
- Turnigy nanotech lipos are a good move, but stay at 1200 mah as bigger may be too long or wide for many stocks, grips, etc.

- Imax B6 smart/balance charger is the only worthy charger in my opinion. I know I'm not alone in this, but luckily it is very affordable.

- M203 grenade launchers are cool, but are really just extra weight. I'd recommend looking towards a good pistol or secondary first.

- the King Arms Colt M4 is a very good place to start. It's solid, reliable and can be easily turned into whatever variant you want over time. Usually starts around $250 - $300, which makes it the cheapest and well built airsoft gun on the market.

- First upgrades on your gun should be hop-up, barrel, piston assembly (nozzle, spring, etc). After that focus on finely tuning internals for performance and reliability. A gun that shoots straight, far and will last is always the priority. Especially if on a budget.

- ACOG sights can work well, but get one with a doctors sight attached in case of CQC situations. Also a variable zoom or a max of 2x or 3x is preferable in airsoft, as more may be too much zoom to be effective.

- Get a reliable brand of magazine to avoid short life spans and feeding issues. Low caps seem to perform better and longer than mid caps in many cases, but 60 - 70 rounds per mag is usually more than enough regardless.

- before going all tacticool with your gun I'd recommend having a plan for quality gear. BDUs, boots, and proper weight distributing gear is key for successful gaming.

- BB Bastard makes a hell of a BB, but most fields require eco-friendly rounds here. BB Bastard bios are also great, and available locally. For flight stability don't go lighter than a 0.28g round.

- Unfortunately there is no real one stop shop for everything airsoft, especially in Canada. Although many local stores have some good products, their prices are often much higher than other Canadian retailers.
The turnigy lipo I have in my sites is a nunchuck style battery. I might have to ask them personally if it'll fit, but if it won't, there are another ones I have in mind.

In regards to the smart charger...Could I get about with the tenergy smart charger for a couple of months? The charger would definitely overstretch my budget.

I was thinking, is there a noticeable difference between the CM16 and the CM18? I know the MOD1 is made out of polymer (could've fooled me, I thought it was metal!). I guess that bang for the buck, the G&P CM series are the way to go?

I agree on the ACOG and the M203, they're not on my to do list just yet It was just very fun to see my dream gun taking shape before me!

The reason I ordered the BB's online was because, in the case with uppercanadatactical, if my order is over 350$, I get free shipping. As it stands, my order on their website is: Socom gear midcap 5 pack (69$) + BBBastard 0.25g eco bb's (15$)+firepower speed loader (7$) +Turnigy nano-tech 7.4V 1400mah 2S 15~25C Lipo (15$)+G&G CM18 Mod 1 (239$) = 351$ + free shipping and tax.

Now, on amazon I found a Atomic RC Lipo balancing charger (25$) and
Tactical Crusader ProTac Goggles (23$) = 53$ including shipping and tax

Which I think is a pretty good deal. What do you think?

Last edited by GodsLt; October 22nd, 2014 at 03:09..
Old October 22nd, 2014, 07:42   #5
Ricochet

What's the cost of the lipos and charger you're looking at? Turnigy Nanotech batteries can be bought for $10 and the Imax B6 or B6ac can be acquired for about $35 or so. A nunchuk may fit in one gun, or a certain type of stock, but if you ever changed anything then it may not after that.

G&G makes a decent gun, so if the price is right, then fill your boots. If you can get free shipping by adding BBs then go for it. BBs are heavy and usually cost a good chunk to ship. If still recommend getting bio rounds and at least 0.28g BBs.
Old October 22nd, 2014, 10:54   #6
Jo_Canadian

I just picked up a G&G cm18 mod1. It does not come with a battery. It is pretty decent right out of the box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian McIlmoyle View Post
RULES

Give your friend the benefit of the doubt and SHOOT HIM AGAIN.
Jo_Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2014, 15:07   #7
GodsLt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
What's the cost of the lipos and charger you're looking at? Turnigy Nanotech batteries can be bought for $10 and the Imax B6 or B6ac can be acquired for about $35 or so. A nunchuk may fit in one gun, or a certain type of stock, but if you ever changed anything then it may not after that.

G&G makes a decent gun, so if the price is right, then fill your boots. If you can get free shipping by adding BBs then go for it. BBs are heavy and usually cost a good chunk to ship. If still recommend getting bio rounds and at least 0.28g BBs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo_Canadian View Post
I just picked up a G&G cm18 mod1. It does not come with a battery. It is pretty decent right out of the box.
Were could I get an IMAX B6 for that price? As of now I'm shopping from uppercanadatactical and Amazon.ca

And for Jo_Canadian, what are the connectors like? Mini deans, deans, mini tamiya or molex? And, does a nunchuk battery fit in the stock?
Old October 22nd, 2014, 15:07   #8
Slodin

nade launcher..is really a show toy and adds extra weight. I don't recommend that..It really puts a strain on your back when playing on the field.

G&G is a good brand, I didn't even see cm18 on gorilla's website hmm..I remember last time I visited the store they were pretty over priced on quite a few guns..I don't know if they are like that now. Acog is good, helps locate targets, but sorta expensive. Buy your other stuff before putting into gun accessories.

I don't know if CM16 and CM18 even have much difference. Both polymer body, ver. 2 gear box, just the looks is a bit different.

I bought my Turnigy Nanotech for $10 each, and 35 for the imax charger..although it's with 20 bucks shipping ( I also ordered lipo safe bag, lipo checker, charging cables because imax doesn't come with the connector that charges airsoft batteries.) Most likely you will need all that as well, because it's mostly for safety reasons.

Be extra careful with battery chargers, some are bad, and can cause problems. Personally I like the Imax b6ac, just make sure if you are to get one of those, get the legit one..It's not more expensive than the fake ones out there.

so far, did you think of your vest? pouches? what you are going to wear? You will need double or triple double stack pouches for 5 mags, and it's pretty bulky. Well, the most important is probably a pair of boots (i use hiking boots), good goggles, and a lower mask. Helmet is probably preferred but I use a hat anyway, although it does leave a bit of my forehead exposed. Also I banged my head on a wooden frame last game cause it was a downhill couldn't stop myself from running into it, so helmet is probably the best choice. Those Protac goggles seems alright, I was going to get them but I found another pair that I like. I saw the video where that guy shot that Protac and it's fine.

For myself I went a bit over and went 800bucks on my stuff, although that was because I saw a pistol I wanted and went for it. Pistols are great at room clearing, as I have an AK so it's a bit hard to go into buildings with.
Old October 22nd, 2014, 15:13   #9
Forever_kaos

Got mine off of Ebay for around that price.

If you're lucky and patient, you can score good deals anywhere.
Forever_kaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2014, 16:33   #10
Ricochet

I have no idea if a nunchuk will fit that gun, but like I said, nunchucks aren't likely the way to go. Upon age verification, I can show you where to buy the lipo's and chargers cheaper. As they sell airsoft guns, I can't divulge that info on here.
Old October 22nd, 2014, 17:29   #11
GodsLt

I agree on the M203 and the acog, they're not on my list for the forseeable future

In regards to gear, I already have a nice pair of rugged boots.
I was planning on playing with jeans and a hoodie for the first couple of weeks, cramming mags in my pockets (not that I have many anyways)
I could probably get a nice vest and pouches for christmas.

However, scouring through amazon, ebay and toronto airsoft, I came up with this:
1-CM18 MOD1 DST (245$)
1-Elite Force 0.28g Bio-bb's 2700ct (25$)
1-Valken Annex MI7 Thermal (40$)
3-DYTAC Invader midcap Mag (36$)
1-SRC M4 Magazine Style Speed Loader, 400-Round (14$)
1-Venom 30C 2S 1200mah 7.4 LiPO (17$)
1-Atomik RC Venom Group Atomik 2-3 Cell AC/DC LiPO Balance Charger (25$)
Which totals 425$ with tax and shipping included. I wanted to know what you guys think on this "shopping list"? lol. The only reason I'm not going with the King Arms M4 is that I don't like the general old-style M4 look. I like a more M416-ish kind of look.

Last edited by GodsLt; October 22nd, 2014 at 17:31..
Old October 22nd, 2014, 17:56   #12
danhay

Purchase your batteries from Hobby King:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...s-Airsoft.html

You would be well served by purchasing more than one battery. If your only battery goes bad on you then you will be going home early. Personally, I own at least 3 batteries for every AEG I field.

A battery monitor is a must have if you intend to run LiPos (which it sounds like you are):

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...itor_2_6S.html

Also, make sure you pay attention to the footwear and cold and/or wet weather gear. I am always dumbfounded by players who spend mucho $ on multiple guns and super-uber-leet helmets and vests but head home when it rains because they don't have proper clothing. Your expensive gear is of no use to you if you can't keep in the game in adverse conditions!

Last edited by danhay; October 22nd, 2014 at 18:05..
danhay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2014, 18:45   #13
waylander

1 1200mah battery won't last you a full day scrim. Even an upgraded, efficient, mosfet'd gun will probably use that up, especially as new players tend to burn through more ammo.

Toronto airsoft has a 10% off sale right now... good time to buy.

The charger is not a great one but will get you started. It's slow charging and although it's called a balance charger it doesn't really balance... if you have a voltage detector make sure you check the individual cell voltages after it's done charging and don't let them get too far out of balance.

One note about hobbyking. They cannot use regular airmail with lipos anymore due to new regulations on shipping lithium batteries so buying bulk is best since you're going to be paying for fedex anyway. nanotechs are great batteries, used them for years in RC but not as economically friendly since the new shipping rules.

Overall, the list will get you started.
waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2014, 19:20   #14
GodsLt

Okay, so unless I'm ordering 5+ LiPos from Hobby King, it's not worth it, am I correct?

I plan on maintaining trigger discipline with my gun, as I only have 4 mid caps and 1 1200mah battery. So I think that at least for now, my battery issues are solved.

I added a voltage indicator to my list above, bringing my total to about 428$

Toronto airsoft seems to be out of stock on almost anything nowadays...But I'll take a look on their website.
Old October 22nd, 2014, 19:47   #15
SuperHog

That junkie tenergy universal smart charger is going to mess up your Lipos.

If you want a budget but good charger, icharger is one of the best. (better than Imax B6) There are others, but for what you are using it for this is very good. Your Lipos will last longer with it.

I own several chargers and the best are icharger and PowerLab by Revolectrix. (I charge 2S to 12s packs)

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...arehouse_.html

Last edited by SuperHog; October 22nd, 2014 at 19:53..
SuperHog is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion