Airsoft Canada
https://blackblitzairsoft.myshopify.com/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Reviews
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Review: Save Phace (finally, low profile paintball goggles?)

:

Reviews

Old September 2nd, 2008, 11:01   #1
panda86

Review: Save Phace (finally, low profile paintball goggles?)

I picked up a pair of Save Phace paintball goggles this weekend. With more and more fields requiring paintball approved goggles, it's hard to find a set with face protection that's good for airsoft and has a close cheek weld.

It seems a lot of people are looking for a low profile goggle / mask with face protection specifically for airsoft, (not counting tactical goggles which some fields do not allow anymore) but until there is an approved standard for testing / lenses for airsoft - it will probably be a while before we see something that's perfect for airsoft.

here's the link for Save Phace

http://www.savephace.com/Tactical/Tactical-Masks

They sell a variety of different masks, some with thermal lenses, some with replaceable foam fadding, colored lenses, and their big thing which is colored graphics on the mask portion of the goggles (ranging from some cool camo patterns, to some very lame designs).

Some interesting features
- low profile goggles
- hard shell mask
- ANSI and ASTM approved (mil spec and paintball approved)
- single and dual lenses available
- graphics

I had already read and heard some feedback on these, mainly from the paintball store owner who's a friend of mine, so I trust his feedback. Paintballers have disliked these goggles for 2 reasons: ventilation (there's not many holes) and the hard shell mask. Most paintballers like the idea of a soft mask, so that paintballs can "bounce" (ie: if you get hit and the ball doesn't break, it doesn't count).

For airsoft, the bounce issue isn't as important, but ventilation is. but with more vents comes the possibility of BB's coming through the mask, which diffuses the purpose of face protection in the first place!

First off, I compared the Save Phace goggles with a couple other goggles I own: I have a set of JT Flex 8 (the full coverage version is often cheaper than the regular version for those interested) which has the same "goggle" portion as the good old JT Spectra. I never intended to wear the full head coverage version, I only bought it because it was a good $20 cheaper than the regular Flex 8. I just simply removed the goggles for airsoft purposes.
I also have a set of V-Force Grills, these are a single lens paintball goggle popular with tournament players due to the soft lower portion.

Here's a comparison:

For starters, the Save Phace is the smallest goggle / mask in comparison with the other two goggles (just in terms of surface area).

The Save Phace mask also has a removable forehead shield. You need to take the lens out first, and access 3 small Phillips screws with a short screwdriver to remove the shield.

The second thing I compared is side view size, again the Save Phace is much smaller in terms of overall size (even if you compare it to the Flex 8, imagine that the "helmet" part was removed).

From the top view, the Save Phace is the "thinnest" or lowest profile in terms of distance from your face to the front of the lens. The Grill comes second and the JT is thrid, being VERY thick. It's almost double the thickness in depth. While this might be great for people that wear glasses and want to fit them inside, it's not great for the lowest profile.

The lenses are held in place with an intersecting plastic spacer, and then the spacer is held in place with a Fastex like clip. This is fairly secure and similar in design to the "quick change" lens removal of the Grill masks.

In comparing overall lens height to the other goggles, again the Save Phace is the smallest.

Now, since I'm not a magazine or something doing a review, I wasn't going to take my brand new mask and start plinking at it for the sake of this review. I haven't had a chance to play in a game with it yet, but I will update this review when I do.

The first thing I did want to check was see if BB's could penetrate the mask. The mask itself is a rather hard plastic. It's not flexible at all, so I would think it would be fairly durable.

Placing BB's on various portions of the mask, I found that none of the openings were big enough to allow a BB to penetrate.

This is the upper vent section (by your forehead). Again, the openings are too small for the BB's to go into the mask.

Compare this with the Grill. It had huge vents in the front, I could fit BB's through about 8 of them without much effort. With 300FPS or higher BB's, these could easily have pushed through the mask portion.

Testing BB penetration on the Flex 8 was good, they have made the slots smaller and the plastic they've used is harder, this prevented BB's from going through the mask on any section.

In terms of fitment, I found that the Save Phace allowed the tightest cheek weld for me compared to the other 2 masks. If you look at the front view, the "chin" area conforms to your face as opposed to coming straight down like other goggles / masks. + 1 for Save Phace.

I have a smaller head and a narrow face, and I found the Save Phace ones fit me well, but some people have complained that their chin actually touches the lower portion of the mask since it curves back towards you. Some people have also complained about the lower portion of their ears being exposed. Not an issue if you're wearing a shemagh or some kind of balaclava.
Again, you should really try these (and all paintball goggles on) for fit before buying them if possible.

I find that the biggest culprit for fogging is a poor seal around the cheek nose area. As you exhale, the hot air comes up from your mouth nose, and it gets trapped in the goggles area. Without good ventilation or dual lenses, the hot air inside mixed with potentially cooler / humid air outside means fog inside.

The goggles fit my nose / cheek area perfect which is rare. I actually have issues with fitting other masks. In terms of fogging, the Save Phace website claims that their goggles do very well against fogging, but are not "fog proof". Their single lenses use a fog resistant coating on the inside.

The single lens V force goggles have a similar single lens design, and also has anti fog coating on the inside. I've only ever fogged up on the V Force Grills on rainy days, never on normal dry days.

I tested the Save Phace ones by running around my backyard, and I even wore them while mowing my lawn in the backyard (35 mins worth). The lens did not fog, but the ventilation was an issue. The lack of holes definitely dampens the performance of these goggles. A major issue for some, not so much for those that take them on and off a lot.

The only other thing that I think detracts from these goggles is the finish. there's an odd satin like sheen to them, which kind of diffuses the purpose of camo if your mask has highlights on it.

I haven't played a game with mine yet because I will be taking them apart and doing a CADPAT paintjob on them, and then matte coating them. There is a green / brown graphics version called the "Hoorah", but I want mine to be true CADPAT. Updated pics to come!

In closing, here's some pros and cons:

PROS:
- approved with Mil spec and paintball standards
- good cheek weld
- low profile
- good protection against BB's
- OK against fogging
- some camo patterns available (Multicam, etc..)

CONS:
- ventilation: not eough holes
- small size might not work for people with larger heads
- single lens comes standard, you need to buy a thermal dual lens seperately

Last edited by panda86; September 2nd, 2008 at 11:04..
panda86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 11:03   #2
Donster

that is all really good. i would like a MC mask. But can the new mask lense stop a .40 cal bullet like the grill? i might pick up the MC one. but the Grill really is one of the best googles out there. Next to this one here, it is the smallest.

Last edited by Donster; September 2nd, 2008 at 11:10..
Donster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 11:23   #3
Drache
BALLET, TYPE: SELF LOATHING, ANALBURST

Quote:
not counting tactical goggles which some fields do not allow anymore
This surprises me... I have personally shot the same type of goggles I wear with a .22 Hornet and the bullet didn't penetrate the lense. That's not good enough for airsoft anymore? Or is it the fact of not have the face shield aspect?
Drache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 11:25   #4
Endymion

Typically it's a paintball field insurance issue. Non-paintball-approved goggles aren't covered by their insurance. It has little to do with the actual ballistic rating of the lenses in question.
Endymion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 12:55   #5
panda86

Donster: the Grill is pretty small but I have found 2 issues.

1. if you're buying one for face protection, the vent holes are still big allowing BB's to penetrate and possibly hit your face / teeth

2. the curved "brows" of the mask stick up a lot. It will interfere with wearing any headgear like helmets (for those that want as much of a Mil sim experience as possible) it will not let the brim of the helmet sit low enough, but if you don't wear a hemet - no problems.

Last edited by panda86; September 2nd, 2008 at 22:57..
Old September 2nd, 2008, 13:00   #6
Donster

after you use these for a game, please tell me which you prefer: the Grill or this mask. I would be really interested in your opinion. Great review btw! really informative and thorough
Old September 2nd, 2008, 14:29   #7
Skladfin

is it possible to take off the goggle and not use the mask...
Skladfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 15:20   #8
panda86

Donster, will do

Skladfin, no you can't remove the goggles unfortunately (they aren't 2 seperate pieces). I mean, you could if you cut the bottom half of the mask off with a Dremel if you wanted to. You could do the same with the Grills too.
Old September 3rd, 2008, 05:41   #9
echo15

Hi! I have a Save Phace mask too. I just wanted to share that I tried shooting at the lens and the mask with a 360fps gun at about 6 inches distance. It was just about 2 shots each but there were no marks I could see.

I've skirmished with it once and compared to my old JT Nvader, it does offer a better cheek weld but it was still difficult to use the iron sights of my MP5. I think its because the MP5 iron sights are just too low. I haven't tried it with my M4 yet since it's still under repair.

As for the fogging, I live in a tropical climate and I didn't experience any fogging during a 30-minute game.
echo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2008, 11:11   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo15 View Post
As for the fogging, I live in a tropical climate and I didn't experience any fogging during a 30-minute game.
It's the -10 Celsius days I'm worried about. I'm full of so much hot air, I could make a mesh mask fog.

That was a joke, btw.

Oh - and nice washing machine, panda.

Last edited by 808; September 3rd, 2008 at 11:15..
808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 15:02   #11
Donster

any word yet on how these stack up to the grill in battle?
Old September 12th, 2008, 00:59   #12
Predator2

Wink

I am curious to see how a boonie and a baseball hat looks like with the head shield removed. Wondering if you could take a pic of yourself wearing this mask with a boonie. My biggest beaf with paintball masks is that headgear, as the aforementioned, are awkward to the point of useless.
Predator2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2009, 20:12   #13
Dekan Frost

I"m in the process of getting a save phace mask, I read some other reviews from other sites and i'm quite convinced this is the Mask for me. A guy ran the shower for 10 minutes and then put the mask on and had no fogging at all
.. quite extreme but I think i'll take the review's word for it considering it is an Airsoft mask.

I was wondering where besides www.savephace.com could I purchase one because on the site it says "cheaper at your local retailer" anyone know someone who can supply these in Canada?
Dekan Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2009, 00:12   #14
Hash Vapor

Check the B/S/T section I have had a set for sale for a while now, I think there are a few others as well.

http://www.milsimempire.com
Hash Vapor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2009, 21:06   #15
Dekan Frost

is this a paintball approved mask, by all Paintball fields?
Dekan Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Reviews