Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Royal Canadian Artillery shoulder flashes

:

WW1, WW2

Old March 28th, 2009, 13:59   #1
buellxbk

Royal Canadian Artillery shoulder flashes

I am hoping someone out there can point me in the right direction. I am in the prossess of putting together a WW2 impression based on my dad's uniform. The one thing I am stuck on is the shoulder flashes. I am having the flashes reproduced but I don't know how they are located on the shoulders of the the uniform. My dad was with the Royal Canadian Artillery fro 39 to 45. Is there a web site I can go to for more info. I have been scanning the web for the last two weeks trying to locate something, lots one the uniforms them selfs and a few on badges and flashes but nothing on how they look on the uniform. Any help would be great.
buellxbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 14:02   #2
Bowers

Send a message via MSN to Bowers
i didnt check for your exact question but this site does have alot of information

http://www.canadiansoldiers.com/

hope that helps
Bowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 14:23   #3
buellxbk

Thanks TCSF. That was one of the ones I have used in the past. Good on for info but it only shows the badges and shoulder flashes seperate from the uniforms. I need to see how they go on the uniform.
Old March 28th, 2009, 14:39   #4
Lerch
* AV Status REVOKED *

Generally the shoulder flash is sewn in 1 finger width below the seam on the shoulder.
Old March 28th, 2009, 15:25   #5
buellxbk

Thanks Lerch. Now the word CANADA would be the first then the unit which in this case would be 7 RCA which is red letters on black cloth back round. After that is where I'm stumped. Dad was a signaler so there is a red diamond with a blue line with a red zig zag pattern in it and the signalers blue and white flags on a od embrodered flags these are the two that I'm not sure were they go. No it might be they are of a dress uniform, I just thought of that.
Old March 28th, 2009, 15:40   #6
Sully
formerly chippy_125

Send a message via MSN to Sully
should be something like this: http://www.canadiansoldiers.com/uniforms/kdlate.jpg
Sully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 15:55   #7
Lerch
* AV Status REVOKED *

IIRC, the diamond, being the TRF, and the Sig flags being the trade badge. The TRF is below the unit flash on the upper right arm and the trade badge above the left cuff, I can't remember the spacing though.

I'll have to check on the Canada flash though, for some reason I don't think they were worn by Arty.
Oh yeah, have you got any pictures of the jacket your using?

Last edited by Lerch; March 28th, 2009 at 15:59..
Lerch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 16:17   #8
Sully
formerly chippy_125

It's a shitty photo and it's 5RCHA but it should still be applicable and it's all I could find. the Canada flash is on it, not sure about the rest of the badges you are looking for. Oh and I'm referring to the jacket in the center.
Old March 28th, 2009, 16:19   #9
Lerch
* AV Status REVOKED *

That's right, worn low

So for this application, it'll be the 7RCA flash, the CANADA flash below (looks like 2 fingers) and then the TRF below that. If adding service chevrons, they sit above the cuff, with the trade badge above that.
Old March 29th, 2009, 02:33   #10
buellxbk

Thanks to all you guys. Thats the info I needed. As to the jacket, you might get a laugh out this. Since finding a jacket from that time period that would fit is almost impossible and reproductions being kind of out of my budget here is what I did. I came across some Canadian winter jackets from the 60,s at my local surplus store. They are the same (surge I think it is called) material as what the 40,s BUD,s where made of. I bought 2 jackets and I have a local shop doing a reproduction. Cost $16.00 for the jackets and $35.00 to make the new one. The colour is not right on, more OD but I am thinking of a colour fast dye to bring it closer to the green/brown that Canada used. I,ll see how thing turn out. It is an experiment for sure. if this works I'll try some pants next. I have a local graphics shop making reprodutions of the flashes
Old March 29th, 2009, 02:37   #11
buellxbk

Looking at the picture chippy posted my jacket will be close to the great coats colour.
Old March 29th, 2009, 02:49   #12
Sully
formerly chippy_125

I think that's an awesome idea. It's shows great ingenuity on your part that's for damn sure. Unfortunately I have no tips on dying it. Maybe when Lerch wakes his lazy ass up he may chime in on the subject. I definitely would like to see the end product when it's done though.
Old March 29th, 2009, 11:08   #13
Lerch
* AV Status REVOKED *

Good job on getting this started, let us know how it results. And I found that TRF that you've got, it's worn by anyone assigned to the RCA in the 1st Canadian Army in WW2.

Old March 29th, 2009, 14:46   #14
buellxbk

Yep that is the one. I have all the pieces cut just have to get them back to the graphics guys to put together. Now where would that go. The gal that is doing the uniform for me has been so much help. She has done German, Allied, even war of 1812 red coats, very easy to work with. I just provided some pics so she could see were the pleating was going to be needed. Can't wait to see myself how it will turn out. I'll work on getting some pics up when I have it done. Dad didn't keep alot of kit after the war but i have alot of the paper stuff like "Precautions to be taken by Canadian army personnel in event of capture (date 1943),Beer ration book. Active service pay book, some of his leave passes and I think every letter he recieved from home. Sorry i ramble sometimes.
Old March 29th, 2009, 14:55   #15
Lerch
* AV Status REVOKED *

Haha, the TRF goes on the arms below the RCA and CANADA flashes. I can almost guarantee you that your dad would probably have kept some of his letters in his pockets sometimes, along with data papers and notepad.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Themed Airsoft > WW1, WW2