Reviews

Old May 12th, 2009, 15:49   #1
Kokanee
Ministry of Peace

Dboys 3-in-1 M203

Dboys 3-in-1 M203 Review

By Kokanee

Intro

The Dboys 3-in-1 M203 is a metal M203 launcher that is designed with an interchangeable mounting bracket. This enables it to be attached to pretty much any M4 using either a CA, TM or RIS type interface.

Packaging

The M203 arrived in a well put together package, consisting of a cardboard box with some nice art on it. The cardboard is nice thick corrugated stuff, and I've saved it for future shipping use. The variant (9" or 12" barrel) is indicated on the front of the box, as seen here I bought the short barreled model.

Inside, the M203 is held secure with bubble wrap and foam. The spare mounting brackets each have a space, as well there is a space cut out in the foam for a M203 round, perhaps for retailers to make a package deal with... The M203 was in excellent condition, with no shipping damage.

Build Quality

The build quality of this M203 is amazing considering it's from Dboys. The trigger group housing is metal, as is the barrel. The only plastic part is the barrel shield.

All the working bits do their jobs, with the M203 opening easily to chamber a round, then riding home smoothly to close for firing. The trigger is very responsive and it doesn't take much pressure to fire off a round. With this in mind, the safety functions properly, so no worries about an ND.

The one area of poor quality in this M203 is the breech base where the firing pin is located. There are quite a few casting bubbles in the metal, and you can see the tool marks from when the part was milled down, so I'll presume that Dboys cast this part, then machined it to finish. While detracting slightly from the aesthetic appeal of the finished product, it in no way effects the function.

One area in particular that is very well done is the QD barrel clamp. The entire assembly is of high quality, and once the clamp is secured, there is no way the M203 is coming off the rifle, or moving a millimeter for that matter. This will be a big relief to anyone who's had a cheap CA M203 and has secured it to their rifle w/ a black ziptie.

The QD clamp is available as a separate item from Dboys, and if you already own another brand M203 and have said wobbling, it's well worth the investment to outfit your launcher with it.

I should also note that there are no trades whatsoever on this item.

Installation and fit

Installation was pretty straight forward. Unfortunately the barrel of my PTW '07 is thicker than a CA/TM etc AEG, and that required me to grind off some material from the mounting bracket to widen it enough to slide over my barrel. Once that was done, the M203 slide into place easily, mating with the barrel collar. I should mention that there is an anti-rotation lug cast into the rear of the M203, which is an additional way of ensuring no wobbling.

A little fiddling with the QD clamp,and the M203 was mounted, rock solid onto my PTW. I've held the whole beast by just the M203 and shaken it around, with no movement whatsoever.

Final Thoughts

Considering the $49.95US price tag, I am extremely impressed with the build quality of the Dboys 3-in-1 M203. The finish is much higher than you'd expect from this company, and they have definitely bitch slapped all the other companies (CA, G&P, VFC etc) in the price-to-quality department. Sure, there are no trades, and a small casting issue, however if you are not a collector and just want a functional M203 that will do the job, then this may be the item for you.

Rating

I have yet to game the M203, and will update this review when I have. Until then I am giving it a provisional rating of 4/4 Robert Goulets.

Kokanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 11:14   #2
Huron
GabeGuitarded

$50USD?!?!? Nice. The casting bubbles kind of suck though. Still, at that price it could go a long way, especially if you wanted to, say, make a Canadian style M203 lower handguard without having to worry about butchering a $150+ M203. Also, that paintjob is so hot.
Old May 13th, 2009, 12:41   #3
cbcsteve
Nice Guy

Amazing, 4 out of 4 Robert Goulets that shoot lazer out of his eyes

Nice review and hope that it serves well in battle

cbcsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 14:15   #4
Wilson

I look forward to seeing how well it fairs as an AWW (Anti Wolf Weapon) this weekend!
Old May 13th, 2009, 15:23   #5
Kokanee
Ministry of Peace

Sadly my POM grenades need new fill valves, the stock ones all leak. I've ordered some madbull valves, but they won't make it to me in time for the muskoka op this weekend.
Old May 13th, 2009, 20:38   #6
Primus
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Primus
ugh, I didn't want to hear that... I guess you weren't able to fix the problem with some teflon tape or soaking some o-rings in silicone oil?

Have you tried contacting Vanaras to see what they say?

Gray Fox Strategic - @grayfoxstrategic on Facebook / Instagram
Primus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 21:15   #7
Conker

And 50$ USD overseas, or in Canada? Seems quite cheap!

Thanks for the review, it's certainly an outstanding bang for your buck!
Conker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 21:27   #8
lemegacool

hmmm might be interested in one, could you pm me how much you paid for it and where (who)?... if you dont mind of course! and you made me cry of laughter with the 4/4 robert goulet thing! :

member of fire team NOM. my other regular forum: www.toyotanation.com / gen3,gen4 camry

Last edited by lemegacool; May 13th, 2009 at 21:30..
lemegacool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2009, 12:48   #9
Shirley
A-56 aka Mr.Hitman

Ouuuu...
Video please?

CANADIAN AIRSOFT PRACTICAL SHOOTING (CAPS)
CAPS DIRECTOR # 0047
Shirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2009, 16:02   #10
Kokanee
Ministry of Peace

New valves are pretty cheap actually. I'm pretty sure it's not the threading of the valves, but the actual innards that leak.
Old September 10th, 2009, 03:18   #11
attack-beaver

i hate to bring an old thread to zombie status.

however kokanee, who the hell brought that cute little thing in or do you know anyone that does bring those in?
attack-beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010, 20:13   #12
Robert12

where did you get this M203

I read your review and it looks like an awsome deal and i've been searching all over for a inexpensive M203. the one you reviewed looks like the one for me. i have a couple questions about it. did it come camo or did you paint it?
also where did you get yours if you could help me that would be great!!!
thanks!
Robert12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010, 20:23   #13
Brayden
¡¡¡ɹǝʞɐǝɹq oqɯoɔ-ɔ-ɔ-ɔ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert12 View Post
I read your review and it looks like an awsome deal and i've been searching all over for a inexpensive M203. the one you reviewed looks like the one for me. i have a couple questions about it. did it come camo or did you paint it?
thanks!
they come in fall camo like from cod!!!!
Old May 3rd, 2010, 20:25   #14
scurvythepirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert12 View Post
thanks!
1.Painted it obviously, as the paint scheme matches perfectly.
2. Get AV'd
Old April 17th, 2011, 21:31   #15
ap27

^You'll need to get Age Verified for that information. Find your local AV rep and meetup with him with some ID. Once you're verified, you'll have access to sections of the forum where you can buy it.

ap27 is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Reviews