Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Buying Used Guns

:

Newbie Tank

Old January 15th, 2010, 21:09   #1
m102404
Tys

Buying Used Guns

It might be your first airsoft gun...it might not be...but eventually, sooner or later...you're going to see a used gun for sale that you're going to consider buying.

Here are some points to consider about any used airsoft gun...and at the end I'll note a couple of points to keep in mind right before plunking down your cash:

1. All airsoft guns wear out...the hopup rubber, the motor, the spring, the gears, etc... Even the most expensive, tricked out, super-uber fancy parts build MIGHT fail on the next shot. All you do with top notch parts is hedge your bets that it fails later rather than sooner. Sometimes much, much later.

2. Running a gun hard (i.e. high FPS power levels) and fast (i.e. high Rate Of Fire)...wears it out faster. Again..it might slowly wear out...or it might catastrophically fail.

3. Plastic is not metal...bumps/falls/rough handling might crack, bend, break parts of the gun. Plastic can be glued back together sometimes...the cheap pot metals often can't. It's really, really hard to see cosmetic problems in some pictures. The best pictures of a used gun that you're going to buy are the "worst" pictures...where the gun looks absolutely its worst. That way there's no surprises when you finally have it in hand.

4. It's often very hard to tell what make/brand/'how new" a part is after it's been used. "old" cylinders look mirror smooth after years of use....nozzles look old pretty quick. So take "new part" this or that with a grain of salt. To a large extent you're going to have to take the sellers word for it.

Buying a used gun.
- Whenever possible...get your hands on it and shoot it before you buy it. If someone won't let you shoot a couple of mags through it...walk away from the deal. The only leverage you as the buyer has...is keeping your money in your pocket.
- that means it's best if you can buy locally. You're going to have to have more blind faith in someone if you're ordering from across the country.
- Remember for person-to-person sales...there can be a lot of finger pointing and he-said, she-said if your not getting what you expect in the end. And....there's pretty much nothing you can do about it. You could end up being stuck with something ranging from crap to not-quite-what you thought it would be....and if the seller says "tough titties" then that's about all you'll get. See how nice buying locally is?
- if you can...check out the scope/optics/mags/etc...if they're part of the package...don't over look them.
- if you can't meet up with the guy locally...see if there's a reputable guy who will check it out in person for you. Could be just a guy with a solid reputation, or maybe a local gun doc. Even if it costs you a couple of bucks to have a gun doc look at it...it's excellent "insurance" that you're starting off as best as you can with your new shooter!

Now...if you meet up locally and shoot a couple of mags...and are satisfied enough with it that you plunk down the cash for it and walk away with it...then it's yours.

If you get home, slap in a mag and it breaks....then it's your broken gun.

Buyer Beware. Expect that once you pay for it and take possession....it's yours, good or bad.

Have fun!

Last edited by m102404; January 15th, 2010 at 21:32..
m102404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2010, 21:22   #2
deep in the bush
Monkey with a Gun

Send a message via MSN to deep in the bush
As always Tys nicely done.

I always pick up in person.... I find people are much easier to deal with face to face.

Too many 800 pound gorillias on keyboards.

I'm the Barrie Bastard.
http://www.bbbastard.com/

Cheese is good.

Last edited by deep in the bush; January 15th, 2010 at 21:38..
deep in the bush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2010, 21:29   #3
kalnaren

Also don't be afraid to get in contact with local players in your area and ask them to accompany you to check out a gun. They know what to look for and what not to. The worst thing that will happen is they'll say "sorry, can't"... the best thing that will happen is you won't buy a gun thats garbage.

Quote:
"Someone in a Prius tried to race me at a stop sign the other day. I couldn't believe it. I had him for the first 100 feet or so but I can only walk so fast."
kalnaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2010, 21:30   #4
m102404
Tys

Can't believe I forgot that point...good catch Kalnaren!
Old January 15th, 2010, 21:31   #5
L473ncy

Quote:
If you get home, slap in a mag and it breaks....then it's your broken gun.
I'm sure there are more than a few sellers who are willing to take back the gun, help repair, or pay for some of the labour to fix it.

The seller isn't required because they already filled their end of the bargain (and you did test fire it in front of them so you both knew it worked before the buyer left with it) however it's probably one of those gentleman things that some sellers will do if it breaks within the first week that the buyer has it in their possession (not like after a year it breaks cause that's just regular wear and tear).
Old January 15th, 2010, 21:33   #6
sarosh

Also check trader rating
sarosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2010, 21:39   #7
yuhaoyang
asexual lumbricus terrestris

Send a message via MSN to yuhaoyang
I just think of it as a gamble.
Or buy from the people you know that won't cheat you =p
or we can start a "very trusted sellers list" =p
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
The chinese steal everything. Haven't seen an original idea come out of that country yet.
yuhaoyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2010, 21:40   #8
m102404
Tys

I thought about putting a thing about Trader Rating in...but I left it out since I've seen too many crap deals where both guys end up with positive ratings after it.

So...I suppose it's worth a look...but I'd take it with a grain of salt.

I'd rather see how the guy writes/communicates. If he sounds like a jump-the-gun psycho...then he's probably not the best person to deal with if you can't get a second impression in person.
Old January 15th, 2010, 21:43   #9
safx

blah blah blah.

If the seller's nick' is
safx, you'll be alright.

Nothing else you need
to know.
Old January 15th, 2010, 21:46   #10
mcguyver

I would never fix a gun I sold to anybody.

Caveat emptor, right Tyson?

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep discussing what's for dinner.

Freedom is the wolves limping away while the sheep reloads.

Never confuse freedom with democracy.
mcguyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2010, 21:47   #11
yuhaoyang
asexual lumbricus terrestris

Send a message via MSN to yuhaoyang
I think it's the fear of a retaliatory trader rating that makes people put positive ones.. =.=
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
The chinese steal everything. Haven't seen an original idea come out of that country yet.
yuhaoyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2010, 21:56   #12
m102404
Tys

Brad, what someone steps up to do after the sale is done speaks volumes of the seller...but it's fair that the buyer be prepared for the worst since it's up to the sellers discretion what else they'll offer up post sale.

(Brad made my first PTW purchase a success...well not stress free, but it worked in the end!...like a PTW broken record...he built it, tested it, shipped it, I received it, shot it and it died by the third day . He took a 2 hr phone call from me to try and figure out what was wrong, then split the $500 cost of a VUK with me to fix it and turn it around by the end of the week. It's worked like a freaking dream ever since. Stand up guy...aces. I didn't expect that...but I was forever grateful)

I've done the same....fixed or refunded stuff that had a 100% statisfied completed sale. I once refunded a pistol that that I shot, the guy shot and we were all smiles before he bought it. Then the next day it quit on him. I tried to fix it and couldn't. I insisted that he take his money back (he didn't ask and nearly refused)...but you know, he was a good guy and I didn't want him to be stuck with something and I felt good with that.

I'd hope that everyone would stand up like that...but I wouldn't count on it.
Old January 15th, 2010, 22:06   #13
mcguyver

Sometimes shit happens. You do your best with what you have.

If I had a BNIB Marui gun that I sold to somebody, I doubt I would warranty it. I didn't build it, and if I sold it I likely wouldn't really be profitting much from it.

When I build something, I build it like I would be using it myself. That means I want it to work. But, sometimes shit happens. You may end up second-guessing yourself if you get the call that "it broke" only days later. Were the kids asking me a question and momentarily my concentration lapsed? Did I have to take a phone call and forget a simple assembly step?

I will usually give the benefit of the doubt in a reasonable circumstance. That doesn't mean I'll fix a gun after the guy has put 30,000 rounds through it (I actually had that scenario, guess what my response was?).

I'm fairly certain I lost my shorts on that gun, Tyson.

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep discussing what's for dinner.

Freedom is the wolves limping away while the sheep reloads.

Never confuse freedom with democracy.

Last edited by mcguyver; January 15th, 2010 at 22:32..
mcguyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2010, 22:25   #14
kullwarrior

Another thing, when YOU do buy across country, take pictures, videos (is better) of actual opening, so the crap like "you ruined it" can be avoided. In addition, these days if a gun is demanded over $1000, demand high res pictures. 5Megapixel is the minimum I'll demand. (stuff I sell will get a 360 most of time at 7 mega pixel. Yes I know itll take forever to download, but put it as a link so people can look if they want. Finally always demand insurance for >$500 shipping. I'm getting a lot of crappy service from CP these days. From lost package to battery wires broken (shipped via bubble pack) it helps if you have insurance as its a way to reobtain the money. ALWAYS demand the case # as the seller might just say CP reinburse less than actually do.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank