Airsoft Canada
https://blackblitzairsoft.myshopify.com/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Need help.. new piston head & new cylinder head.

:

Doctor's Corner

Old March 23rd, 2008, 12:57   #1
DYORD

Need help.. new piston head & new cylinder head.

I just replaced my piston head & cylinder head w/ new ones. Right now, I'm trying to re-assemble it, i just realized that the whole piston body is not fitting all the way in the cylinder. When i play with the spur gear (to check if it will match with the piston) the 1st tooth of the spur gear will pull the 2nd tooth of the piston. That would make it 1 tooth mis-alignment. .. and by the time that the piston body will reach the end gear, the spur gear will still have an extra tooth. I'm just worrying that that extra tooth might block or "jolt" the piston body during the cycle and other else might break.

I don't want to remove any single tooth in my gears... but I also want to retain my new piston head & cylinder head.. soo.. are there still possible ways to solve this problem?

here are the parts involved.

ver.3 gearbox
Silent piston head
Silent cylinder head
deepfire half-tooth piston body
guarder infinite torque-up gears.
Old March 23rd, 2008, 13:08   #2
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Send a message via MSN to CDN_Stalker
You know the half tooth piston body is meant for helical gears only, eh? All other gears require the full toothed piston. (Not sure if torque up gears use the full or half in all honesty.)

Make sure your piston head is seated properly in the piston body, and sort out why the piston is pushed back so far. My experience I've found some piston bodies to be a millimeter or two longer than other pistons, which leads to rapid teeth shredding, so you might have to buy another type of piston body to make it work well.
CDN_Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 13:49   #3
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

Actually, half tooth pistons are designed for infinite torque up gears, whether they be flat or helical.
The reason it's half tooth is due to the gear ratio, the gear set on the sector gear that meshes with the spur gear has close to the same diameter as the gear set on the sector gear that meshes with the piston.
It could be that your using a deepfire piston, I know that a guarder piston doesn't mesh properly when used with a systema aluminum piston head and systema cylinder head.
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 20:00   #4
DYORD

one have suggested me to remove/shave the 2nd tooth of the piston body.. but I doub't it. won't that make any future problems?
Old March 24th, 2008, 15:51   #5
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

What brand is your silent piston head?

If it's angel, realize that it will settle in closer once the spring has been installed.

Removing the 2nd tooth is a known and effective way of fixing this problem if it truly does exist. Again, refer to my comment regarding the piston's final resting position when all parts are assembled
ILLusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2008, 12:36   #6
DYORD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLusion View Post
What brand is your silent piston head?

If it's angel, realize that it will settle in closer once the spring has been installed.

Removing the 2nd tooth is a known and effective way of fixing this problem if it truly does exist. Again, refer to my comment regarding the piston's final resting position when all parts are assembled
I forgot the brand name.. it's not popular.. but the piston head has a rubber sole after the teflon-plastic. It's a nipple type piston-head.. matched with a silencer cylinder head.

I find it odd removing the 2nd tooth of the piston body.. how will it pull the next one if it's missing a tooth.
Old March 25th, 2008, 12:38   #7
DYORD

is removing the 2nd tooth of the piston body ok when using stiffer springs? let's say SP160?
Old March 25th, 2008, 15:20   #8
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

Yes, it's fine. It's a common modification.

Theoretically, piston bodies can work with half the amount of teeth, ie, every other tooth removed. But for heavy springs, it's not recommended, especially for the last couple of teeth in the cycle as those are the ones that carry the most load.

It shouldn't be an issue to remove the 2nd tooth, as the load at that time is still relatively low.
Old March 26th, 2008, 19:38   #9
DYORD

i like the idea of removing the 2nd tooth of the piston body.. Has anyone done this? How about w/ SP160 spring?! Is it still advisable?
Old March 27th, 2008, 12:41   #10
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

Marui P90s come standard with that tooth removed.

Typically, that modification is done only on high-speed setups to prevent the sector gear from raking across the last several teeth in the event that the piston doesn't return to battery in time.

No idea how it will affect a high velocity setup, though.

If your teeth aren't even lining up with the first tooth, you may want to investigate and fix that problem FIRST. Obviously, there is an incompatibility of parts that isn't allowing the piston to sit properly. As a result, the sector gear's first tooth will crash against the piston's first tooth at an angle it wasn't designed to take an impact at. You may experience premature wear that way.
Old March 27th, 2008, 12:46   #11
Jugglez

Location: Swimming in a pool of Xpresspost receipts.... Toronto - 400/401
ANGEL Japan makes most if not all their pistons with that tooth absent.
Very common like Illusion mentioned in high speed setups.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner