Barrett M468 (56k warning)

:

Airsoft Media

Old May 29th, 2007, 21:39   #1
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

Barrett M468 (56k warning)

Barrett Firearms' M468 6.8mm Remington SPC

For those who don't know about the Barrett M468, here is a bit of paraphrased background information on it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.gunblast.com/Barrett-M468.htm
The 6.8 Remington SPC (Special Purpose Cartridge) was developed by Remington and the US military as a replacement for the 5.56mm NATO cartridge in specialized situations. The cartridge is based loosely on the .30 Remington case, and uses a 115 grain bullet of .277 inch diameter. One of the parameters of the design was that it must be compatible with the M4/M16 family of rifles, along with current squad automatic weapons and light machine guns, with minimal modifications. The specifications call for a bullet speed of 2650 feet per second from a sixteen and one-half inch barrel, delivering 1715 foot-pounds of energy, and a six hundred meter effective range. Basically, the US military wanted a round that was smaller than the 7.62x51mm NATO cartridge, but delivered more terminal effect than the 5.56mm. The end result was the 6.8 SPC.

The weapon for delivering the new cartridge is being manufactured by Barrett at their Murfreesboro, Tennessee facility. It is basically an AR15/M16/M4 rifle, with a few added features. Barrett calls the new rifle the M468, and is being built in both a civilian-legal model, and also in a close quarters battle (CQB) configuration.

The future of the 6.8 SPC as a military cartridge has not been finalized. However, at this time there are some specialized units of the US Army putting the M468 through some serious testing. Barrett Manufacturing is working closely with the military in developing this weapon. Barrett has for many years supplied the excellent Model 82A1 to the US military and our allies, and has the ability to supply the M468 as needed. In the meantime, the M468 is in production for civilian sales, and Barrett offers complete rifles, along with upper receiver units to fit most AR15 lower receivers, in a rifle with semi-auto firepower, a weight of 7.3 pounds, and an overall length of only 33.5 inches.
Real steel:

And now images of my replica:

There are some minor differences between the real steel version and this version I've constructed. Namely, the receiver markings and the presence of one extra guiding track on each side of the magazine. The larger 6.8mm cartridges require different magazines to accept the larger diameter. The replica could be completed by switching the lower receiver (Guarder now has a Barrett M468 metal body) and by puttying/painting the groove on the magazine.

The suppressor's quick mounting mechanism is very similar to the SPR mk12's system, where the flash hider never needs to be removed and inserts directly in to the can.
The threaded mounting collar sits flush with the integrated gas block / flip up front sight. Also integrated in to the front sight is a ratcheting locking mechanism that prevents the can from unscrewing itself due to vibration during firing.

The threads of the collar - like the SPR - can be covered with an included thread protector:

Construction

The externals of this guns were pretty easy to put together. The gun itself is based off a Tokyo Marui M4 S-System, and a VFC Barrett M468 conversion kit.

Full list of all the parts used in my specific model:

Externals:
Tokyo Marui M4A1 S
VFC / GB-Tech Barrett M468 Conversion Kit
Guarder Enhanced Pistol Grip
Guarder Tactical Flip Up Rear Sight (Same thing as the Marui version, but construction, finish & markings are nicer)

Internals:
Prometheus EG Element Low Resistance Wiring
PHOENIX High Protection High Cycle Gear Set ( Limited Version )
Prometheus Hard Reversal Stop Latch
Prometheus EG Spring Guide Smoother
Prometheus MS100SP Spring
Prometheus Hard Piston
Systema Silent Piston Head
KM - TN Coated Inner Taper Cylinder for Middle AEGs
KM - TN Cylinder Head Straight Type
KM TN Metal Nozzle Type B
KM Separate Urethane Rubber Camber - RH55 Type
Systema BS 6.04mm Barrel custom cut to 330mm (You can see a bit of it poking out the first ventilation hole in the flash hider)

Performance:
~350fps with 0.20g BBs.

As you can see, this setup was built to LAST, with a mechanical life cycle of approximately 300,000 rounds or more in a lab environment. MIL standard testing shows 100,000+ round life cycle. (Note: I'm not sure how Phoenix tests that MIL standard.)

Full gallery here:
http://www.pbase.com/illusive_airsoft/m468

Last edited by ILLusion; May 30th, 2007 at 14:33..
ILLusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2007, 21:44   #2
ColtFarmer

Send a message via MSN to ColtFarmer
ees var naayce, high five!
Old May 29th, 2007, 21:47   #3
Ace of Spades©

All you need now is the Guarder M468 metal body and it will be complete...

Quote:
My gun is like a Land Rover, when it works, its great. Problem is, its a Land Rover, so it never works...
Ace of Spades© is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2007, 21:53   #4
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace of Spades View Post
All you need now is the Guarder M468 metal body and it will be complete...
Yup, and a belly....

... and a beard.
Old May 29th, 2007, 21:57   #5
dontask

Send a message via MSN to dontask
wow that is amazing
I couldn't tell your airsoft version from the real steel
I mean you even had the eotech down to the sticker lol!
Unbelievable.
you crazy~
dontask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2007, 22:10   #6
Cassius

It's kind of sad they don't make the same SIR handguard like the real steel one though.

Here's Barrett's official M468 page:
http://www.barrettrifles.com/rifle_468.aspx

The M468 is definitely one of my favorite assault rifle. Mostly the full stock one pictured on Barrett's website.

Oh, forgot; as you can see, the magazines are now identical to the normal m16/m4 ones.

Last edited by Cassius; May 29th, 2007 at 22:16..
Cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2007, 22:14   #7
Dr_Tinshnipz

Thats beautiful!
Dr_Tinshnipz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2007, 22:22   #8
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassius View Post
It's kind of sad they don't make the same SIR handguard like the real steel one though.

Here's Barrett's official M468 page:
http://www.barrettrifles.com/rifle_468.aspx

The M468 is definitely one of my favorite assault rifle. Mostly the full stock one pictured on Barrett's website.

Oh, forgot; as you can see, the magazines are now identical to the normal m16/m4 ones.
There's two versions. The longer one you're referring to is available to the civilian market.

The CQB one that I replicated is available to military only.

That's great news that the magazine looks the same... now my replica is that much closer!
Old May 29th, 2007, 22:27   #9
Amazing KG3

Send a message via MSN to Amazing KG3
I was going to do the same by using a SIR with a flip sight combo. However im sure id miss alot of details.
Amazing KG3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2007, 22:31   #10
Mr Jon
Trailer Park Supervisor

That gun is a piece of shiat

//kidding
///sell it to me

*fapfapfap*
Old May 29th, 2007, 22:47   #11
Cassius

that explains a few things mate.

However, related to the real steel one, I do think it will not replace the current standard issue simply because of the ammo. Going with the SCAR would be a wiser choice simply because its ammo is already everywhere. Just my 2cents.

also, on the real steel one, is that a heating mark on the silencer? Does it have any use?
Old May 29th, 2007, 22:48   #12
Amazing KG3

Send a message via MSN to Amazing KG3
The ammo is part of the problem. 6.8 will give greater stopping power.

will these 6.8 fit in a 5.56 magazine? I know it wont operate without the correct receivers, im referring to the magazine solely.
Amazing KG3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2007, 22:59   #13
Cassius

Yeah but there are gribazillions of 5.56 and tetragibrazillions of 7.62 all around the world.

The 6.8 offers amazing results so far yet it would cost quite alot to redeploy ammo.

I think the M468 will possibly be distributed to small portions of military forces though just like the Spec For or any other small elite divisions.

If you think of the SCAR though, you could - possibly - once out of ammo swap receiver on the field and grab some 7.62 on the ground.

Logically speaking, what would be best is a chamber able to accept say both the 6.8 and 7.62 with a low able to accept m16 mag and ak mags at the same time so if you ever run out of ammo, you can grab an ak mag on the ground, slam it into your gun and fire.
Old May 30th, 2007, 10:22   #14
gamz

Let me check my pants.......

..... YEP!

Beautiful.

Old May 30th, 2007, 15:36   #15
JoeyJackhammer

very nice, always look forward to your RS tributes, Illusion.

The 6.5 MPC will more then likely replace the .223, if anything. just needs a new barrel and bolt carrier, and can use the .223 mags with no mods or reduction in rounds.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Media