Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Guide to install a relay switch!

:

Doctor's Corner

Old February 9th, 2008, 10:43   #1
DYORD

Guide to install a relay switch!

I've read some threads that a relay switch could eliminate sparks on your AEG. My SP160 setup should need that! I want to install one on my own before i fry up my AEG.
Old February 9th, 2008, 10:58   #2
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Send a message via MSN to CDN_Stalker
Make sure the switch you buy has a higher current rating than your gun puts out, otherwise the contacts will fuse and your gun will keeps shooting. You'd probably also need a secondary power source to operate the coil.
CDN_Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2008, 11:10   #3
mcguyver

You could use the same power to operate the coil as you use to run through the contacts. An automotive relay (12v DC) will operate at lower voltages, like 10.8 or 9.6v or whatever you are using. But, for an 160 m/s setup, you should be using at least 12 volts, the motor will need to see that kind of potential do deliver the torque needed to drive that spring.

Now, a relay sounds good in theory, except there's one little problem. It doesn't stop arc formation, not one little bit. All it does is move the big arc from your switch contacts to the relay contacts. They will arc as well, but at least they are external to the mechbox, so replacemement will be easier. Another drawback is time. When you energize the coil of the relay, it takes time to close the contacts. Even though this time is small, when added to the initial spool-up time of the motor and mechbox, this only adds to the trigger delay. I don't recommend the use of a relay, it has no real advantages.

I think what you want is a transistor. They are what's known as "dry" contacts, meaning there is no physical gap betwen them, so no arc forms. You can use MOSFETs or a wide variety of other types. There's lots of info out there if you want to build your own switch device.

Arc formation is not just about causing damage to the switch contacts. in a closed system like an AEG, the formation of an arc requires massive amounts of energy, energy that damages contacts, but also is not being used by the motor to drive the gun. This is why guys see increses in ROF just by installing dry contact systems.

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep discussing what's for dinner.

Freedom is the wolves limping away while the sheep reloads.

Never confuse freedom with democracy.
mcguyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2008, 12:22   #4
DYORD

I'm a little lost.. what are the "coils" you're talking about.. and the "arcs"

Anyhow, I've also heard about MOSFETS.. but I'm not sure how it works.. btw, I'm using 9.6v 2400 mah battery ; EG1000 motor & Infinite torque up gears.
Old February 10th, 2008, 12:45   #5
Opea

Send a message via MSN to Opea
arcs would be the jumping of electrical charge between the 2 contacts as they close. (think static electricity)

coils are inside the relay. They move back and forth operating the mecanism which closes and opens the contacts as you energize the relay(magnets get charged and move the coil one way closing contacts, deenergized the coil returns to its resting state opening contacts)

buy sell rating here
Opea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2008, 12:46   #6
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Electricity is applied to the coil of a relay by the switch (aka. your trigger contacts) By electromagnetic means, activating the coil of the relay pulls the contact(s) to the closed position, thereby allowing current to flow to your motor. For the sake of my being a retard, consider it this way: Your friend wants to run down a hallway, but the hallway is blocked by an open door. You are on the other side of another open door, and both doors are connected together with a tight string. When you pull the one door closed, the other one closes at the same time. So you are in control of the coil, the coil when activated closes both doors, and your friend can run down the hallway without running into anything.

Man, do I EVER love my beer!
Old February 10th, 2008, 12:51   #7
Renegade)
A Total Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN_Stalker View Post
Electricity is applied to the coil of a relay by the switch (aka. your trigger contacts) By electromagnetic means, activating the coil of the relay pulls the contact(s) to the closed position, thereby allowing current to flow to your motor. For the sake of my being a retard, consider it this way: Your friend wants to run down a hallway, but the hallway is blocked by an open door. You are on the other side of another open door, and both doors are connected together with a tight string. When you pull the one door closed, the other one closes at the same time. So you are in control of the coil, the coil when activated closes both doors, and your friend can run down the hallway without running into anything.

Man, do I EVER love my beer!
AHAHAHAHAHA... classic...
Old February 10th, 2008, 12:58   #8
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade) View Post
AHAHAHAHAHA... classic...
Like I said, "for the sake of my being a retard.........." I understand most things by analogies, therefore I pass the retardation along. You are now an official retard because you understand how a relay works.
Old February 10th, 2008, 13:00   #9
Renegade)
A Total Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN_Stalker View Post
Like I said, "for the sake of my being a retard.........." I understand most things by analogies, therefore I pass the retardation along. You are now an official retard because you understand how a relay works.
Thank you ***** head, I feel so much smarter now! WOW I just bashed my head off my desk... never felt the urge to do that before, what gives
Old February 12th, 2008, 12:55   #10
DYORD

geezz... thanks for that patient explanation. Anyhow.... I'm only using 9.6v 2400mah.. and it does sparks a lot in the trigger contact. And it's frying up the brass contacts. Anyhow, will an automotive relay work with my current setup?

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner